Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any issues that should be considered if looking to purchase a Travel Trailer rated at MAX Loaded weight of 4,037lbs (Axle weight of 3,770 lbs) - with Sway Bar, Electric Brake Control Box, etc.

Can this be towed behind 2005 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.5L with 4WD.

Currently have no issues pulling fully loaded /covered 2 snowmobile trailer. With Fully loaded Truck hauling all gear,etc.

Want to know before we invest in Travel Trailer.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Automatic or Manual?

If you have the automatic - get a tranny cooler and you'll have no problems. I have towed ( couple times a month ) 6500lbs on my I5, Z71, manual unbraked.

Trailer brakes make a huge difference.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You shouldn't have any issues. If the travel trailer has a braking axle you should buy a braking controller unit. I have a Tekonsha Prodigy Brake unit I use on my tandem axle utility trailer. I have towed 4,500 lbs total weight and not had a problem. I have a 2005 GMC Canyon with the 3.5L in it also and it is rated for 4,000 lbs but the class III hitch is rated for 5,000 lbs. There are some people on here that have towed 6,000 +. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, Automatic Tranny. what is ball park average cost of a Tranny cooler? - New to that one. ANy idea? Already have the braking controller Unit included in the purchase price of the Trailer...Thanks again.

·
Registered
224 Posts
As others have said, you can tow it, but the question comes down to will you be happy towing it.

I pull a psuedo-toyhauler that weighs about 3600 lbs fully loaded. There are times when I wish the truck had more power and better brakes. But then, I do tow in the Sierras. If I stay out of the mountains, it's fine. Butt... with the trailer weighing almost as much as the truck, you are always aware the trailer is back there. It makes the overall ride less comfortable.

A tranny cooler can be added for less than 150 installed.

I recommend taking a look at the Trailerlife Forums - lots of good info there. Look in the Towing Forum for the sticky on towing setup. It covers everything you need to know.

http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/index.cfm

Check this thread for some pics of what people tow...

http://coloradofans.com/forum/viewtopic ... 469#789469

Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
There is a HowTo for tranny cooler installs on here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts