Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been running any brand of a 4 inch suspension lift? I would love to hear your opinion on what you think about them. Springs vs add a leaf? Brand vs brand?

·
Super Moderator
5,321 Posts
I'm running the Rancho kit on my 2011... it's been great but I think Rancho discontinued it. Definitely better than cranking the torsion bars or using reindexed keys, the kits keep all the front suspension angles correct.

Skyjacker and Tuff country may still make their kits

I'm using add a leafs along with the Rancho longer shackles

Skyjacker gives you the option of add a leafs or new leaf spring packs that provide lift

Tuff country uses add a leafs

Cant go wrong with either I think... I went with the Rancho because it was on sale at the time plus I got a mail in rebate.

These kits will require wheels with 4.5 inches of backspace or less

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm running the Rancho kit on my 2011... it's been great but I think Rancho discontinued it. Definitely better than cranking the torsion bars or using reindexed keys, the kits keep all the front suspension angles correct.

Skyjacker and Tuff country may still make their kits

I'm using add a leafs along with the Rancho longer shackles

Skyjacker gives you the option of add a leafs or new leaf spring packs that provide lift

Tuff country uses add a leafs

Cant go wrong with either I think... I went with the Rancho because it was on sale at the time plus I got a mail in rebate.

These kits will require wheels with 4.5 inches of backspace or less
Thanks for the feedback! My goal is to have a reliable and capable truck. It has to be able to handle deep snow covered roads, occasionally. I'm not looking to build a show truck, rock/ mall crawler or mud buggy... just my truck.
Have you had any issues, such as, wheel bearings going bad repeatedly? I've experienced this myself with my previous truck. A lot of lessons learned on that one, unfortunately

·
Super Moderator
5,321 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! My goal is to have a reliable and capable truck. It has to be able to handle deep snow covered roads, occasionally. I'm not looking to build a show truck, rock/ mall crawler or mud buggy... just my truck.
Have you had any issues, such as, wheel bearings going bad repeatedly? I've experienced this myself with my previous truck. A lot of lessons learned on that one, unfortunately
I'm still on my original hubs(wheel bearings) with 105,000 miles and about 100,000 of those with the kit and 33 inch tires... if you go bigger on the tires be prepared to go through hubs a little quicker. I recently replaced inner/outer tie rods And lower and upper ball joints(passenger side inner tie rod was failing and drivers side upper BJ was a little loose so I just replaced everything), I've gone thru a couple of CV axles but one was an auto zone reman which I figured would fail but it was a temporary fix on the trail. Replaced with another OEM and no trouble since.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still on my original hubs(wheel bearings) with 105,000 miles and about 100,000 of those with the kit and 33 inch tires... if you go bigger on the tires be prepared to go through hubs a little quicker. I recently replaced inner/outer tie rods And lower and upper ball joints(passenger side inner tie rod was failing and drivers side upper BJ was a little loose so I just replaced everything), I've gone thru a couple of CV axles but one was an auto zone reman which I figured would fail but it was a temporary fix on the trail. Replaced with another OEM and no trouble since.
Do you do a lot of off roading? What type of environment are you in?
I'm in the northeast of PA. I'm planning on 35's for this build. I'm considering stacking lifts if necessary. Such as the suspension lift with some a body lift. I saw one with a 4 inch kit, leveling kit and a body lift that looked nice, but I'm not sure if it was a daily driver or just for show

·
Super Moderator
5,321 Posts
Yes I offroad a bit... I'm in so Cal so I got desert and mountains. You will definitely need to stack lifts for 35s... maybe even some trimming/cutting. 35s put a lot of stress on front end components but quite a few run them

·
Registered
86 Posts
Why the desire for 35s? They aren't worth it for what your trying to accomplish it seems.

No offense intended, just trying to see what you have planned. :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
35's are the plan. If they don't fit, they don't fit.😏
The main reason I want 35's is because the few that I see are on 33's or smaller.
I was running 33x10.5 on my factory 06 Canyon with some rubbing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts