Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Anyway a serious question, does anyone know the formula to find out my actually speed with 4:10's installed. I have a five speed I5 with 3.42's and 235/70r15's. I hit 35 in first 63 in second and hit the limiter in third at 5500 or so now.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Foutch137 said:
I always get this crap with every thread/post I put up. Brakenit is especially bad at this.
What are you talking about? If I've ever given you crap for one of your posts it's because you've said or done something seriously stupid. Most of the time I give people the benefit of the doubt, unless they're going out of their way to talk about something they don't have a clue about. If that has happened I doubt it's happened more than once or I would remember who you are and not bother to open your posts anymore, looking through your old posts about the only thing I've posted in your threads was an answer to your question, like in your thread asking about your transmission. Why are you bringing up my name in a thread I've never posted in anyway?

·
Registered
22 Posts
FYI I finally found the time to work on the front axle this past weekend (I was forced to now that snow is here) and I just want to let everyone know that the front 4.10 ring and pinion and H3 ELocker went in without a hitch!!!! It is now all wired, tested, and working great! There are differences in the H3 front axle but mostly slight design differences pertaining mostly to mounting. They are both 7.6 ring gear diameter and take the same case, ring and pinion, bearings, seals, and crush sleeve.
I don't get to this sight often so if you wish to gain more information about the modification feel free to email me @ [email protected]

·
Registered
261 Posts
Take the ratios of lower gears to the stock gears 4.10 / 3.42 = 1.19
dis-regard the 1 in the answer, and the 19 becomes the ratio (as a perccent) of MPH slower at the same engine RPM, or the rate of increase of RPM at a given MPH

What that means is:
If at 2000 RPM with the stock 3.42 gears I was pulling 70.25 MPH,
with 4.10 gears, I would only be doing 56.9 MPH

Now if I wanted to know how RPM's were changed at 70.25 MPH with the 4.10 gears, take 2000 RPM x 1.19 = 2380 RPM

I remember another thread that dealt with gear swapping also, and someone posted a link to a site that had calculators that would do this conversion for you, and a whole bunch of other things, (hp, tq, 1/4 time, etc.) I don't remember the topic though...

The calculated speed at 3500 RPM -w- 3.42 gears and the trans in O.D. was some ridiculous number, like 154 MPH, :lol: :lol: :lol:
I very much doubt a Z85 4x4 would ever hit 154 MPH with a stock engine and hold O.D. in an auto trans!

·
Registered
261 Posts
The BEST gear change would be to replace the 5 cylinder with a V8! :twisted:

Really, the 3.73's are about the best compromise, Although 132mph in a suspension lowered ZQ8 could be rather scary. (No suspension travel to cope with road problems) The other thing is, with the lack of low end torque of the 5 banger, the 4.10's will increase the low end, and the top end only suffers 19 percent. Getting off the line is one of the primary factors of winning drag races, since you have the G-80, the traction with decent tires will take the low end torque. The weak link then becomes the spring wrap caused by the harder launch. In the end, I would opt for 4.10's. ::chevy::

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm soooo happy that mine was purchased stock with 4.10 gears!

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
is 4.11's the lowest gearing that fits in the stock diff?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I replaced every part in my rearend carrier spider gears all bearings ring and pinion 2 years ago in my garage. I have a 2005 z85 4x4. It was not easy shimming it to to get a propper wear pattern and backlash. Or was it easy to set the pinion preload correct but i did it in my garage with out a press and only a normal craftsman tool set inch pounds torqe wrench foot pounds torque wrench and a bigger socket for the pinion nut. It can be done i have done it. It is not an easy task by no means but can be done with out a press.

·
Registered
1 Posts
LOL nah, that's gears and labor. I'll be nice and drop to 575.
Hey just curious if this offer still stands. 575 do the diff gearing from 3.73 to 4.11. I have 32”s on my rig and want a better ratio for them let me know where your out of and how much you’d charge now. It’s 4x4 so I’d need the front diff done too. Let me know @XRHcustoms

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
Hey just curious if this offer still stands. 575 do the diff gearing from 3.73 to 4.11. I have 32”s on my rig and want a better ratio for them let me know where your out of and how much you’d charge now. It’s 4x4 so I’d need the front diff done too. Let me know @XRHcustoms
The last post before yours is from 2012... the person you're seeking a response from hasn't logged in since 2009. You're responding to a very old and inactive thread.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts