Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

· Registered
5,969 Posts
Your wager is supported by the other thread spotting of a silver Colorado by Wentzville, because the plates are nearly a match.

DM4-DU - Colorado Trail Boss
DM4-CX - Canyon AT4
Yes the plants do audits on their first models and look for issues. They don’t have to drive all iver but they do like rolling up miles and holidays make a good opportunity if someone involved travels.

we used to see the new cars out of Lordstown all the time when new models were coming. They had Ohio mfg plates.

These are not Looking for engineering issues but more likely assembly issues. Though a last min engineering issue can arrive. Jeff Dennison at the Tech Center is one of the guys who fixes these last min things. He has a pretty stressful job as it is up to him at times to keep things On time.

· Registered
10,320 Posts
They have a set course outside of Wentzville they do some road testing and quaiity checks. I have seen a couple on the road, but I do not drive out that way very often.

Before the 2015's came out I stopped where they were doing a quality check (I was actually chaning out of my hunting clothes when they pulled up)and the guy walked me all around the truck, showing me things they look for in production. There were 2 in each of the trucks that day and he said they usualy have 4 people.

· Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
1,336 Posts
Definitely a pilot truck, more than likely being driven for fun bit like said... also free advertising. Couple days after the C8 reveal there were two being trailered around by me. Free advertising. The mules won't normally be out without camo.

My understanding on the pilot vehicles was to test tooling at the actual plant assembly line by doing a "pilot run" on it. I haven't done it at my job but we can be a pilot facility for new product process. The production can be split exactly in half equally and combined before distribution. It's pretty cool and the majority of facilities our size don't have that ability.

· Registered
4,052 Posts
These are not Looking for engineering issues but more likely assembly issues. Though a last min engineering issue can arrive. Jeff Dennison at the Tech Center is one of the guys who fixes these last min things. He has a pretty stressful job as it is up to him at times to keep things On time.
To be honest. .. . a clarification.
Indeed, Pilot vehicles are used by assembly plant and manufacturing engineering to weed out final issues . It is still engineering.
Certainly no design or other uses unless something shows up during Pilot runs.

There are many levels of engineering in the automotive business and plant and manufacturing engineering is where the rubber hits the road to see if the design engineering groups have missed any marks.
Engineering also continues into problem resolution after a vehicle is in the market for some time and issues may develop. There is often interchange between some groups of engineering to some degree at times as well.

Reactions: 93Duc

· Registered
196 Posts
To be honest. .. . a clarification.
Indeed, Pilot vehicles are used by assembly plant and manufacturing engineering to weed out final issues . It is still engineering.
Certainly no design or other uses unless something shows up during Pilot runs.

There are many levels of engineering in the automotive business and plant and manufacturing engineering is where the rubber hits the road to see if the design engineering groups have missed any marks.
Engineering also continues into problem resolution after a vehicle is in the market for some time and issues may develop. There is often interchange between some groups of engineering to some degree at times as well.
I'm not sure what you were trying to clarify here? You basically just repeated what he already said using 3x more words.

· Registered
4,052 Posts
I'm not sure what you were trying to clarify here? You basically just repeated what he already said using 3x more words.
For those of us who've worked in various GM plants we know specific types of engineers exist in many capacities.

He said "These are not Looking for engineering issues, but more likely assembly issues. " . . when in fact. . they are loking for engineering issues.

Just clarifying engineering also includes Plant and Manufacturing engineering. Assembly issues ARE engineering issues handled by Plant and Manufacturing engineers.
So the statement that " These (They ? ) are not Looking for engineering issues . . " is not clear.

· Registered
196 Posts
For those of us who've worked in various GM plants we know specific types of engineers exist in many capacities.

He said "These are not Looking for engineering issues, but more likely assembly issues. " . . when in fact. . they are loking for engineering issues.

Just clarifying engineering also includes Plant and Manufacturing engineering. Assembly issues ARE engineering issues handled by Plant and Manufacturing engineers.
So the statement that " These (They ? ) are not Looking for engineering issues . . " is not clear.
I think you might be getting hung up on semantics here. As a long time engineer I had no problem understanding what he said. The term "engineering" can be used in many different ways such as a verb to describe a design process. In that respect his statements were plenty clear.

· Registered
5,969 Posts
I just tried to keep it simple and not try to go into every facet of pilot and engineering prototypes. I could do 10 paragraphs breaking it down but why? This is not exactly top secret stuff and pretty common knowledge.

The car with plant State MFG plates are often just early production prototypes and they run them to find the bugs or assembly issues. Wentzville MO is at that stage now so that is not hard to figure out. Hence the MO MFG plates.

Most engineering mules and prototypes will have MI plates on them even if they are testing around the country or in Germany. Look at the C8 mules in Germany at the Ring and they have MI MFG plates even in Europe. The C8 pilots have KY normally if you see one.

Yes engineering is always on going. I think we all here learned that from the 8 speed GM never gave up on that kind of goes with out the need of saying.

· Registered
2021 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 crew cab, short bed
104 Posts
Yeah I would just think that on an ATX4, (what about $60K midsized truck) they would have at least thrown the hard tri-folding tonneau cover on or maybe the metal sliding tonneau cover? You know because it fits the price range of the truck more. But guess not.

· Registered
5,969 Posts
Yeah I would just think that on an ATX4, (what about $60K midsized truck) they would have at least thrown the hard tri-folding tonneau cover on or maybe the metal sliding tonneau cover? You know because it fits the price range of the truck more. But guess not.
They avoid those kinds of things as so many people want so many different things. I like a tri fold hard cover but others like a one piece hard cover and others will want a soft cover. Even a few want a cap.

The price reflects more things like the Heads up display, the power sun roof and other integrated things that we never had before. Plus price increases they all are seeing.

· Registered
10,320 Posts
but most people that buy the ATX4 do not need a dance floor on the bed of their truck :)

I have 2 brother in-laws that were engineers, retired now, they talk just like these guys do, in circles forever :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: C21964
21 - 40 of 67 Posts