Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked for the picture and 'how-to' on flipping the 3rd brake light and found everything but what I needed to see.

Someone posted about turning the unit upside-down and it looked better because the lines flowed more in line with the roof/window profile.

I'm sure it's as simple as it sounds, but I'd appreciate any heads-up advice and/or pix before attempting it.

Thanks.
8)

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Just make sure the gasket seals. I did mine recently - looks much better.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Just woke up. :)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
To borrow from Nike, "Just flip it . . ."

Here's what it'll look like.

Simplest mod you'll ever make.

·
Registered
324 Posts
WOW I just looked at mine now it looks upside down! :shock: Guess I will flip mine now. :lol: Since everyone seems to have trouble with leaking at some point do ya'll think a little silicone would hurt anything?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
boycan said:
Since everyone seems to have trouble with leaking at some point do ya'll think a little silicone would hurt anything?
Silicone wouldn't hurt, but everyone isn't having trouble. :wink: Mine's been done for 2 years - since before 1/26/06 because that's the oldest picture I have of it. No leaks of any kind. HOWEVER, I do live where the average annual rainfall is less than 12", :shock: and I keep it garaged. :wink: But it has been driven in heavy rains, with no leaks. You guys can make up your own minds what you need to do, just giving you my experience. But really, its as simple as replacing a cover plate on a light switch: take out 2 screws, flip the light, and put the two screws back in. 30 seconds later, finished project -- and that's even putting away the tools :!:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It looks correct when flipped.
Makes me wonder if somebody at the factory has been running a joke for a few years by putting the lights on upside-down!
Thanks for the helpful hints.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
No, if you look at the contour of the fixture from the side, it's obvious it's designed that way. When flipped, it actually aims the lights slightly upward. I can't tell that it diminishes the effectiveness of the brake light any, and I have little use for the cargo lights with the bed cover.

·
Registered
246 Posts
i flipped mine but the holes didnt line up had to make a slight modification. It seemed like the mounting points on the cab were not exaclty in the centre. But its on and sealed with no leaks

·
Registered
76 Posts
LOVE this mod! thanks guys! freind of mine has a colorado... i'm gonna park beside hers and say 'hey, they put your brake light on upside down!'... she'll totally take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it...

i'll prolly let her off the hook before she actually goes...

·
Registered
76 Posts
i took a half round bastard (which is a file with a pointy edge) and put a little notch all along the top-that-becomes-the-bottom so that it could slip down a bit over the bottom edge of the sheet metal... that allowed the light unit to shift low enough to line up the screws... shoulda taken pix... sorry! i'll try and sketch something but it'll be ghetto...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts