Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone flames - I did search first - I know there are a lot of tire threads - but the search actually created more mystery than it solved.
In one of the threads I searched someone said they put 31X10.5 tires on a stock Z85 with the stock wheels. But there was some doubt as to whether it was a 2wd or 4X4. I have a 2wd Z85 with the stock 6.5" wide wheels. All the tire charts say 7" min rim width for 31X10.5. And it looks as if the biggest I can get is 30X9.5. My questions are:

1. Will a 31X10.5 safely fit a 6.5" wide wheel?

2. If not - do they make a 31X9.5" tire for 15" rims?

3. Or should I just be happy with 30X9.5" tires?

Also, any thoughts on running different tires in front than in the back since it is only 2wd?
I know I should have got a Z71 4X4 - but the G80 2WD is actually quite capable - I just need bigger tires than the 205's I got now.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
271 Posts
it'll work fine bro. your taking about the regular z85 wheels correct? i got 31's BFG AT's on mine for about 12k KM now, (7.5k miles) and no problems. they don't even rub at stock z85 4x4 height!

good luck

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's where the confusion sets in - see I think the 4X4 stock wheels and the 2wd stock wheels are different - I'll find a pic -

edit: Photobucket down for site maint - I can't upload the photo

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
both Z85 alloy wheels are 6.5"

you can fit a 31x10.5 on either one.

problem lies with the 2wd. you will probably rub with those tires at stock height. if you dont plan on a little lift, you'd probably be better off with the 30x9.5. a stock Z85 4x4 sits higher than a 2wd, therefor can fit the 31's.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was planning on doing the coil spacer and 1" body lift. Maybe even AAL on the rear. I like the 31X10.5 but was concerned they wouldn't fit the 6.5" rim. Maybe I'll just get the 30X9.5 for now - they'll probably be sufficiant enough for light trails and snow. I'm not going to be doing any mudding or crawling obviously with 2wd. Will they still "look" ok though?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
With the coil spacer you'll be fine for the 31's. I would just get them. Would suck to have to buy tires twice. They'll be fine on the 6.5 rim, several people have that setup here.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah - I don't want to buy tires twice either - thanks! As soon as my tax return hits the bank....

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
here's a stock Z85 w/31x10.5

[siteimg]23818[/siteimg]

same truck with 2" springtech front springs

[siteimg]24076[/siteimg]

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YES! those are the wheels I have - and those are the size tires I want - thanks for the pics!!!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I went with the 30 X 9.5 X15 on the 6.5" Rim and they are great.
None of the dealers I inquired about tires with in any way recommended going larger than that on the 6.5 " rim and none of the manufacturers
recommend it either if you take a look at their charts.

Guess its a personal decision and it seems to be working out for some of you, but I personnaly think thats too big a tire for that rim.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Weston said:
I went with the 30 X 9.5 X15 on the 6.5" Rim and they are great.
None of the dealers I inquired about tires with in any way recommended going larger than that on the 6.5 " rim and none of the manufacturers
recommend it either if you take a look at their charts.

Guess its a personal decision and it seems to be working out for some of you, but I personnaly think thats too big a tire for that rim.
Yeah - that's why I asked the question - I saw the charts too - Do you have pics of the 30X9.5 on your truck?

·
Registered
388 Posts
ah man... you had to go and ask that question!
You would think, living in the telecommunications hub of the world, that I would have the ability to post pics - but I do not. No digital camera, an
old system and dialup.

But I do know that some folks have pics of their 30's as
I've seen them, so it may be worth another post specifically for that.

Wish I could have been more help

·
Registered
132 Posts
This is exactly the question that I'll have once my stock tires wear down....excellent!

Now if I can just figure out how to bookmark this thread I'll be all set w/o asking the same question again!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Cool - saved it. I'm all set now.

Back to daydreaming about the next toy...maybe a cap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts