Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at putting a 305 5.0L TPI engine in my 2005 Colorado with the manual transmission option. I'm looking for any advice and some help, thank you

·
Registered
2018 Kinetic Blue Ex-Cab ZR2 V6
2,063 Posts
Save your time and money. You are trying to do an engine swap to gain a max 40hp compared to the 4 banger for that year. The 5cyl is rated for more power than the terrible 305TPI.. Or nut up and LS swap it to keep the engine generation current to your truck. At least if you crap out and only manage to get a 4.8L LS, it starts at 285hp vs the 190-215 for a 305TPI. And a simple tune can bump that 4.8L past 300hp.

Some advice: actually look into what you are interested in doing. A swap is NOT for the faint of heart, and if you cant answer basic questions or do your own research, forget about an engine swap. It's NOT a simple buy an engine and trans and you're done. The dozens of misc parts will nickel and dime you to death. Questions are fine if you get stuck, but I spent a whole 2min and pointed out your idea as a massive waste of time and money. Set specific goals before you start a project. You came here with only one goal of putting that weak engine into an already powerful truck, and you didn't even know. Set a realistic target power number, set a budget, expect that you WILL spend 2x this budget, research. Go back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There's no way this could be more cost effective then a junkyard 5.3 that will make 2x the power out of the box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Okay, thanks. I was thinking about the 305 because I have it just laying around with the full harness and exhaust. I also have a 5.7L out of a 97 c/k 1500. I was debating between the 2 because for the 5.7 I'll need to take it out of the truck and find a bell housing to go from my ma5 to that engine. That would bump me up about 100hp stock. How big of a pain in the ass do you think it would be to manage that swap? My main concern is if it will fit in my bay. I have electric fans so I'd have a little space but my concern in the firewall. I haven't been able to find the dimensions for my current engine (2.8L L4)

·
Registered
180 Posts
No expert on this by far. But you had an LS (5.3) in that body truck from the factory, so we know they'll fit. Wouldn't think an SBC based motor would take up any extra space, they're pretty dimensionally similar.

I think your major problem is going to be getting the electronics to work. Your Colly's pcm isn't going to be able to run a TPI 305 or Vortec 350. While a PCM from the GMT400 won't work with the electronics, gauges etc for your Colly. I suppose if you don't have to worry about smog/OBD2 test in your state, you could run either with the harness AND PCM they came with, or some kind of standalone pcm to run the motor, and just rip out the cluster and put in manual gauges. I still think it's going to be a ton of headaches for what's basically going to be a worthless project truck if you ever try to sell it.

I think I'd take the first guy's advice and just find a swappable I5 to throw in there and make it easier on yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No expert on this by far. But you had an LS (5.3) in that body truck from the factory, so we know they'll fit. Wouldn't think an SBC based motor would take up any extra space, they're pretty dimensionally similar.

I think your major problem is going to be getting the electronics to work. Your Colly's pcm isn't going to be able to run a TPI 305 or Vortec 350. While a PCM from the GMT400 won't work with the electronics, gauges etc for your Colly. I suppose if you don't have to worry about smog/OBD2 test in your state, you could run either with the harness AND PCM they came with, or some kind of standalone pcm to run the motor, and just rip out the cluster and put in manual gauges. I still think it's going to be a ton of headaches for what's basically going to be a worthless project truck if you ever try to sell it.

I think I'd take the first guy's advice and just find a swappable I5 to throw in there and make it easier on yourself.
Okay, I'll take a look around, thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts