Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I thought the 3.6 was pretty..24 mm socket long extension and cap came right off. No waiting for the oil to stop dripping.
Same with the Duramax, but it's a 27. My point is more that it's a slight bit messier dealing with the bare filter, you have to deal with the o-ring, and in this case the fragile part we are talking about (not the case with the Duramax). None of that is present with a canister filter and it is possible to design the engine that way. Also for those of you who use a mechanic to change oil, you can easily check to see that the filter was actually changed. Not possible with a bare filter.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Same with the Duramax, but it's a 27. My point is more that it's a slight bit messier dealing with the bare filter, you have to deal with the o-ring, and in this case the fragile part we are talking about (not the case with the Duramax). None of that is present with a canister filter and it is possible to design the engine that way. Also for those of you who use a mechanic to change oil, you can easily check to see that the filter was actually changed. Not possible with a bare filter.
I will agree about the canister not being fragile , but I found the bare filter far less messy that the canister type filter in this case. How many people check to see if the mechanic changed there oil filter. Well anyway..

Hope the insert info will help others. The design is not the best..

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I do prefer canister over inserts, especially when you can find a larger filter than is stock that still fits. Fleet maintenance filters for some of the full size trucks can sometimes be found in larger capacities. They hung down a bit more because the added capacity was gained making them longer, but gave you up to 50% more filter media.

·
Registered
2016 Laser Blue 4x4 Extended Cab 3.6 LFX V-6 with Flux Capacitor Upgrade
666 Posts
Ok so I will ask here.. Does the 2016 LFX engine have the oil filter insert? Mine does not have it. The last oil change I did the filter looked kinda squished, but I think it was sealed. I wonder if an after-market insert is available to use and if the purpose of the insert is to prevent the filter from collapsing.

·
Registered
716 Posts
If you remove the filter without draining the oil is it full and wet? I'd like to see if mine is twisted at all...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Ok so I will ask here.. Does the 2016 LFX engine have the oil filter insert? Mine does not have it. The last oil change I did the filter looked kinda squished, but I think it was sealed. I wonder if an after-market insert is available to use and if the purpose of the insert is to prevent the filter from collapsing.
The TSB states 3.6L LGZ. Not sure about yours??

And if you have the metal canister type spin on filter then no you dont have the insert.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
If you remove the filter without draining the oil is it full and wet? I'd like to see if mine is twisted at all...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I removed mine it was wet but not full. Now keep in mind I didn't start the engine since the day before I replaced the oil and filter with insert.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
I finally got my inserts from TASCA. Got two. PM if you need one.
I cant add anything about it that hasn't already been said.
@Mtn_man The filter housing drains down

Reactions: trikermutha
81 - 90 of 90 Posts