Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
@White016
I can tell you that within seconds of shutting off the engine the filter housing is empty. So, no, its not a anti-drain back.

As for the LFX filter, aren't the pleats surrounded by a wire screen or at least on the inside?
I looked at one and thought it was the superior filter for that reason.

Reactions: GraniteBlue05

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
This was noted on the bulletin also:

The retaining tabs on the insert may not be robust enough to retain the insert during an oil service if the filter is crushed

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
The one time I have changed my filter I did noticed it crushed and twisted and didn't think it was right. The insert was still there too.

Now keep in mind I only have 13 k on my truck..

No update yet as to when my new inserts will ship.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So basically if the insert is removed it will also filter, bypass and eventually suck the filter into the engine all at the same time.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
With the large amount of children changing oil nowadays one would think GM would make this fool proof, guess not.
So what keeps the older LFX filter from collapsing?
People (including GM on that TSB) are calling it a bypass valve? I don't think so. Anti-drain back maybe?
You know. . it must be a bypass valve. If it's supposed to be anti drain back . . . wondering why when I change oil the filter housing is already drained for the most part?
I always do the oil pan bolt first so it is mostly drained by the time I get to the filter.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
@White016
I can tell you that within seconds of shutting off the engine the filter housing is empty. So, no, its not a anti-drain back.

As for the LFX filter, aren't the pleats surrounded by a wire screen or at least on the inside?
The LFX . . . ACDelco PF63e filter has a wonky internal "plastic" cage to hold the filter element in place.
Unless you use an aftermarket Wix or similar which seem better constructed with a metal cage.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
I have some inserts coming from TASCA. I will cut the tabs out so I can stop worrying about it.
Nobody touches my engine but me anyway.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I have some inserts coming from TASCA. I will cut the tabs out so I can stop worrying about it.
Nobody touches my engine but me anyway.
So you are making a removable insert? How do you know if it will seat correct between the housing and filter and not push up into the filter towards the cap?

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Trikemutha nailed it, it's a bypass valve. If pressure gets too high or the filter gets clogged, it opens to prevent the engine from starving for oil. Bypass valves have been used in the oiling system for a long time.
So... How the hell can it bypass anything? Isn't the filter sealed top and bottom in the canister?

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
So... How the hell can it bypass anything? Isn't the filter sealed top and bottom in the canister?
if you look at the phot on page two of the TSB it shows a spring at the bottom of the plastic piece that goes into the filter.

i believe what happens is if the filter clogs the pressure pushes the check valve up and it by passed the filter. The filter top is not open and the bottom as a felt gasket.

Bypass can be in a filter or even a pump. In this case it is in the base of the plastic tallywacker.

The filter housing is open as the main line feeds into the base of the filter. If the filter clogs it just closed the valve skips the filter goes into the housing back to the pan.

If the tabs break off they should just go into the pan and remain. The pick up screen would keep them out of the engine.

Now if the filter fails it could be small enough to by pass the pick up screen.

Don’t quote me on this as I have not seen the GM info to prove this but from looking at the parts it appears that may be what they are doing Here.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
It makes sense that the filter is on the low pressure/return side, as the housing wouldn't withstand the pressure anyways. And it drains, presumably, into the pan (where else?)
So yea, Hyper must be right.
Any breaking tabs would only go into the pan, as well as any filter element.
This is how they can get away with using a flimsy element.

Removing the tabs would not affect the spacing of the insert.
I think I will like being able to inspect the condition of the O-rings and bypass valve every filter change.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
if you look at the phot on page two of the TSB it shows a spring at the bottom of the plastic piece that goes into the filter.

i believe what happens is if the filter clogs the pressure pushes the check valve up and it by passed the filter. The filter top is not open and the bottom as a felt gasket.

Bypass can be in a filter or even a pump. In this case it is in the base of the plastic tallywacker.

The filter housing is open as the main line feeds into the base of the filter. If the filter clogs it just closed the valve skips the filter goes into the housing back to the pan.

If the tabs break off they should just go into the pan and remain. The pick up screen would keep them out of the engine.

Don’t quote me on this as I have not seen the GM info to prove this but from looking at the parts it appears that may be what they are doing Here.
Naw, it looks like the oil flows in from the tube into the can, on the outside of the filter, the filter is sealed top and bottom in the can. It looks like there is no way for it to bypass. That gizmo has to be a piece that holds the filter in shape and holds the oil in the can, or maybe just stops it from flowing back siphoning the pipe dry. That's my internet guess anyway.

2013-2016 GM Oil Filter Housing 12674917 | GM Parts Xperts

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
@White016

I think it might keep it from siphoning the system dry, maybe.... But it sure doesn't seem to be a bypass of any kind.

Yes, my filter is simply a canister type that is pretty structurally stout. I think it's got a wire mesh on the inside IIRC.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
This condition may be caused by a missing oil filter adapter insert / bypass valve that was
inadvertently removed during a previous oil service.
⇒ The retaining tabs on the insert may not be robust enough to retain the insert
during an oil service if the filter is crushed.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
Naw, it looks like the oil flows in from the tube into the can, on the outside of the filter, the filter is sealed top and bottom in the can. It looks like there is no way for it to bypass. That gizmo has to be a piece that holds the filter in shape and holds the oil in the can, or maybe just stops it from flowing back siphoning the pipe dry. That's my internet guess anyway.

2013-2016 GM Oil Filter Housing 12674917 | GM Parts Xperts
When I get my inserts in I will do a detailed exam and post
We'll get into it.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts

You got it on the bypass valve. As for the plastic tabs, yes, the pick screen block them. My concern would be them somehow restricting oil flow but even that would be a long shot. Getting back to bypass valves, the old canister type filters have them. If you tear one apart (I'll loan you my oil filter cutter) you'll find it mounted in the top, or the end opposite the the open end. They are a simple piece of material that flexes out of the way when pressure gets too high, such as first start on a cold day or if a filter clogs. They have been made of metal, plastic and even cardboard (Fram - I chit you not).

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
You got it on the bypass valve. As for the plastic tabs, yes, the pick screen block them. My concern would be them somehow restricting oil flow but even that would be a long shot. Getting back to bypass valves, the old canister type filters have them. If you tear one apart (I'll loan you my oil filter cutter) you'll find it mounted in the top, or the end opposite the the open end. They are a simple piece of material that flexes out of the way when pressure gets too high, such as first start on a cold day or if a filter clogs. They have been made of metal, plastic and even cardboard (Fram - I chit you not).
I agree on some of the filters can be scary. I have cut open a good number and it is amazing what you get in some.

I remember one customer who restored old Fords but never changed his own oil. He had a filter system they sold years ago on one that was to use Toilet Paper for a flat head. Considering they had no filter in that model I guess it was better than nothing. Lol!

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I agree on some of the filters can be scary. I have cut open a good number and it is amazing what you get in some.

I remember one customer who restored old Fords but never changed his own oil. He had a filter system they sold years ago on one that was to use Toilet Paper for a flat head. Considering they had no filter in that model I guess it was better than nothing. Lol!
Good old Frantz! They now actually offer a filter media option to the toilet paper but sure there are die-hards who still use TP.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Good old Frantz! They now actually offer a filter media option to the toilet paper but sure there are die-hards who still use TP.
Well the one he had was from the 40’s and not sure of the brand. It was in a 38 Ford roadster. He actually found a cartridge filter that would work in it.

I just thought it was crazy the first time I saw it and he told me what they originally used.

I was glad he brought his cars in though. I got to drive a lot of old rides that I never would have otherwise.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts