Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently this 3.6 motor is in several different GM vehicles currently. I do know of the GMC Acadia which would mean the Chevy Traverse as well. Any other GM vehicles have this engine?

Is this Colorado version different in any way from the others?

What, if anything, do we know at this point about the reliability of this engine from the other vehicles currently using it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
It seems decently reliable. They worked out the kinks of the timing chain issue over the years. It will be practically the same as every other RWD application.

·
Banned
195 Posts
The engine is tough. I've seen lots of forced induction applications ran through this engine and its always good up to around 500HP.

The LFX is just an evolution of the LLT, and the LLT was basically the LY7 with direct injection added. The LLT debuted back in 2006 or so in the Cadillac CTS. The LLT had some issues with stretched timing chains (earlier years seemingly worse than later) and in some cases bearings would go out, causing oil loss and engine failure if not caught. In 2012 the LFX debuted, replacing the LLT for the most part, although the Acadia, Encore, and (whatever the Chevrolet equivalent of that is, I forget) use a version of the LLT still.

I've not read of many, if any, of the issues that the LLT had with the LFX engines. Not saying its perfect, but its a mature engine for sure.

EDIT: I checked with a tuner I've used before (IPF Tuning) and they say they are working on a tune:
http://coloradofans.com/forums/185-engines-technical-discussion/201602-tune-coming-canyon-colorado-ipf-tuning.html

·
Registered
163 Posts
Check this out, scroll down to the tabs about mid-page, and click powertrain. Explains some of the differences between the LFX in the twins versus in other vehicles. 2015 Colorado Info, Specs, Price, Pictures, Wiki | GM Authority

If you go to the LFX engine page on that site, they don't have the twins listed yet. Although obviously the thing is in them!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've never seen it explained as such, but I suspect the different iterations of the 3.6 also carry over the engineering knowledge from the Northstar. Although you can find scary articles online about head gaskets with the late 90s Northstars, the internal components (bearings, valve gear, pistons etc) were quite good. It's common for people to get 250K or more from the V6 version of the Northstar which was installed in the final generation Oldsmobiles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Believe started using in 2008 CTS. I have had the 3.6 in 3 Caddys with absolutely no issues. All three vehicles were AWD also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts