Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 extended cab WT with about 30,000 miles on it. It has started using about 1 quart of oil every 4,000 miles. I've used the trucks oil change schedule and use Mobile 1 (with dexos). Never had this issue on my other Chevy's. is this normal or within specs for the 3.6 V6?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
GM well say it is within spec. Up to a half qt per 1000 miles is acceptable.

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
Without getting into any sort of debate (mainly because I dont care enough to argue my point) but full synthetic does feel thinner vs dino oil so, based on that alone it would appear that it gets past parts it shouldnt (can anyone says ....this is why some use a CATCH CAN)

As a fleet mechanic, I will definitely state, when vehicles come in for oil changes (which is 20 times a day) they rarely have the proper amount from their last oil change so yea.... its sort of normal.

Expected or what I personally would consider acceptable, NO....... but yep, its normal all the same.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
470 Posts
Does the oil smell like gas by any chance? The GM 3.6 direct injection engine is not known to have fuel pump issues like their 2.4 DI sister engines over in the Equinox forum which has been a major issue, but it is possible with direct injection. You can send an oil sample in for analysis to get a better idea what is going on with your engine. My previous V6 engines were not DI, but I never had to add oil at 4000 miles which I also use for approximate oil change interval along with Mobil 1. I ran my old 2003 3.4 GM V-6 to over 100,000 miles without having to add oil. The oil level would be close to the add mark at that time but was still safe.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Does the oil smell like gas by any chance? The GM 3.6 direct injection engine is not known to have fuel pump issues like their 2.4 DI sister engines over in the Equinox forum which has been a major issue, but it is possible with direct injection. You can send an oil sample in for analysis to get a better idea what is going on with your engine. My previous V6 engines were not DI, but I never had to add oil at 4000 miles which I also use for approximate oil change interval along with Mobil 1. I ran my old 2003 3.4 GM V-6 to over 100,000 miles without having to add oil. The oil level would be close to the add mark at that time but was still safe.
If diluted by gasoline the oil level / volume commonly goes UP - not down.........

·
Registered
470 Posts
If diluted by gasoline the oil level / volume commonly goes UP - not down.........
A light fuel leak will dilute the oil mixture and lessen the viscosity, which will allow the oil to seep past the rings over a long period of use. This could allow the oil to slowly burn off in 4000 miles. It is a long shot though as the 3.6 seems to be a very good design. When I had a 2.4DI in a 2014 Equinox, the fuel leak was enough to increase the oil level within 1000 miles of an oil change which a lot of other owners also experienced. I was not happy with the 2.4's power and traded for a 3.6 in the Equinox and love it. The 2017 3.6 in my Colorado is a different engine, but I like it. The factory sound sure sucks compared to my Equinox though which is nothing great. The exhaust sounds like a 4 cyl. rice machine. Back on topic, recommend the OP check oil level more often and consider an oil analysis. Also keep an eye on the coolant. The OP does not mention if he does a lot of heavy towing with high revs.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
A light fuel leak will dilute the oil mixture and lessen the viscosity, which will allow the oil to seep past the rings over a long period of use. This could allow the oil to slowly burn off in 4000 miles. It is a long shot though as the 3.6 seems to be a very good design. When I had a 2.4DI in a 2014 Equinox, the fuel leak was enough to increase the oil level within 1000 miles of an oil change which a lot of other owners also experienced. I was not happy with the 2.4's power and traded for a 3.6 in the Equinox and love it. The 2017 3.6 in my Colorado is a different engine, but I like it. The factory sound sure sucks compared to my Equinox though which is nothing great. The exhaust sounds like a 4 cyl. rice machine. Back on topic, recommend the OP check oil level more often and consider an oil analysis. Also keep an eye on the coolant. The OP does not mention if he does a lot of heavy towing with high revs.
Just curious, with the fuel "leak" did the truck throw a rich code or any code too? I would be surprised it could have so much gas in the oil and the ECM not give you any notice. So for the OP it seems if this was the problem he would have SES light and rich code too.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't use any noticable oil between my 7,000 mile changes.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
My three V6 engine go like this. One uses about on quart every 4500 miles.
The second uses about one in 7000 miles and the Canyon as of now only has 2500 miles.

With this and many new V6 engines some oil use is common due to low tension rings in the engine. They are trying to free the engines up more for mpg and HP and the side effect is some oil use. It is an old racers trick.

The racers just put more oil in to anticipate for some loss. This is why I think they went to six quarts on this engine.

Note to between the marks on most it is two at between top and the lower mark.

Unfortunately it is part of the games they have to play to please us and the devil ........I mean the EPA.

My 2.0 Turbo used none in 7000 miles. Tighter rings in a Turbo with 23 psi of boost.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Isn't funny the tricks the manufacturers have to play to please the EPA and meet C.A.F.E. standards (and lower their tax burden), at the expense of longevity of the machines themselves. It's not exactly eco-friendly to burn all these extra quarts of oil across the fleet, but the EPA doesn't count that in the C.A.F.E. standards, nor do they include the fact that more complex machines (like our alternators) fail more frequently. Replacing broken and worn-out equipment has an environmental impact, too; however, they (the EPA) doesn't want to look at that ugly part of the equation.

Reactions: MV10 and White016

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
My three V6 engine go like this. One uses about on quart every 4500 miles.
The second uses about one in 7000 miles and the Canyon as of now only has 2500 miles.

With this and many new V6 engines some oil use is common due to low tension rings in the engine. They are trying to free the engines up more for mpg and HP and the side effect is some oil use. It is an old racers trick.

The racers just put more oil in to anticipate for some loss. This is why I think they went to six quarts on this engine.

Note to between the marks on most it is two at between top and the lower mark.

Unfortunately it is part of the games they have to play to please us and the devil ........I mean the EPA.

My 2.0 Turbo used none in 7000 miles. Tighter rings in a Turbo with 23 psi of boost.
Just to clarify, on the 2016 V6 between the marks on the dipstick is 2 quarts? So, you can be damn near 2 quarts low and still be in the "good" range? Thanks. Is that in the owners manual? If so I never saw it in there. But then again, I've opened it. :)

Also, do low tension rings add to blowby too? It seems like it would but thankfully on my truck (so far) it doesn't seem bad at all.

Well got to go check my oil now........aha

it's due for a change and still full! wooohooo!!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Just to clarify, on the 2016 V6 between the marks on the dipstick is 2 quarts? So, you can be damn near 2 quarts low and still be in the "good" range? Thanks. Is that in the owners manual? If so I never saw it in there. But then again, I've opened it. :)

Also, do low tension rings add to blowby too? It seems like it would but thankfully on my truck (so far) it doesn't seem bad at all.

Low tension oil rings should not have any effect on blowby. Blowby is pressure escaping past the top or compression ring. The second or middle ring does both oil control and adds some help with the compression, but primarily oil control.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Low tension oil rings should not have any effect on blowby. Blowby is pressure escaping past the top or compression ring. The second or middle ring does both oil control and adds some help with the compression, but primarily oil control.
Yup, I guess I assumed the compression rings were low tension too. Reading Hypers post lead me to think that because he mentioned the need for higher tension rings on his turbo car. Right???

oil rings are so much wimpier than compression rings, doesn't make much sense to me to just change those to low tension. But, whatever it takes I guess.......

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Not sure on the truck yet as I have not changed oil yet but both my older HF V6 engine are two quarts.

No it is just the oil ring sorry my post was misleading.

As for blow by all engines have it and always have to some degree. But like stated the top ring catches most of it.

The reality is that many of the things they do in the name of more mpg or in some cases emissions often leads them to used parts that are inferior to what we once used.

Case in point the ball bearings on the hubs. They are lower rolling resistance due to less surface contact area but the are more prone to wear and damage than the old fool proof taper roller bearings that rarely failed.

It is sad that for every issue the goverment addresses it just created different issues and cost us more money. It is no wonder this country is going broke.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts

it's due for a change and still full! wooohooo!!
My 2017 with LGZ 3.6L V6 does not seem to use any appreciable oil either. Now have a little over 6,000 miles on it and will soon go for the first free oil change. Down to 19% Oil Life.

I do not think "low tension" oil rings is an issue either and over filling an engine with oil can create pressure in a crankcase and blow out seals. So the 6 quarts we have in out engines is designed to hold that much oil.
Nissans used to blow a lot of main engine seals with their odd 3.7qt, 4.6 quart or whatever oil capacities. Owners would go get their oil changed and service techs would just put in 4 or 5 quarts. Enough, that over time, the main seals would start to leak and eventually leak badly. Glad we don;t have that issue and GM specifies 6 quarts period. . . . lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.