Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
My 2016 Canyon did this as well and I hated it, so I was the guinea pig back in 2017 to purchase the Pedal Commander and use it on my truck and I've never regretted the purchase. It's nice to have the trucks throttle response any way you want to set it up. At the time there was not a whole lot options to fix the throttle lag, the tune was out since I didn't want to mess with warranty and tuning it and with Peddle Commander there is no worry since it will not be detected by dealership when they check. Which ever unit you purchase, I think you will be happy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't seen a lot of talk about it on here, so I am going to ask and see if it is unique to my 2019 ZR2. I bought the truck with ~7,500 miles on it and it has done this from the beginning. I roll to a stop. I pause while I look at the intersection. The, I hit the gas. The truck does little more than roll for about a second and then takes off like one would expect. It does this nearly (probably) every time. At highway speeds, I feel like I can't feather the throttle either. It seems like I push it down, no increase. I push it down some more, no increase. Then, it downshifts and picks up the minor speed adjustment I requested. This part I can possibly attribute to me being used to my old truck (98 K1500 with 5.7). Even at 265k miles, it still had decent power. Ironically, why I ended up with a Colorado is because it matched my old truck for HP/Tq, etc it pretty much matched everything except the bed space. Is this just par for the course for these 3.6's and I am expecting too much? The delay at stop signs is more concerning to me than at speed. Once warranty expires, I will probably get a S/C. I've got nearly $4k saved (of "play dough" money as I call it) towards that. But, in the meantime... Does what it is doing sound right/usual? If the answer is yes, would a tune fix these? I am stock on all drivetrain components and most likely will stay at or near the factory specs.

Thanks for your help.
As recommended by others the Trifecta tune software is awesome. My 2021 ZR2 is far more responsive. It corrected all of the odd shifting issues and recalibrated the 4 mph speedo error (at 60mph) caused by adding 33” tires.

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input. I can't remember if it was like this when I very first got it. I bought the truck, and within a week or two I got COVID and then didn't drive it for a bit. I know it has been like that since.
I will try the tow mode idea. That may show some interesting results.
I haven't ruled out a tune. I had thought about trying one before a supercharger anyway, but I still want one just because.... reasons. ;-)

I sit way too close to the steering wheel already. I am 6'4" and I sit close even with the wheel telescoped out. I have back issues and if I am not close, I slump and then riding kills my back. I have always feared an airbag deployment as I wonder if I am too close, but I think there are a lot of short people that probably sit close too.

I haven't really understood the need for "gas pedal by wire". I am not a luddite, but it seemed fine as it was. Seems like a solution in search of a problem.
My advice......just drive it. You will get used to it. There is so much BS about pedal commanders and crap....bla bla bla.
let us know how it goes.

Reactions: Johnnyone

·
Registered
2019 coloradi crew cab short bed
5 Posts
I haven't seen a lot of talk about it on here, so I am going to ask and see if it is unique to my 2019 ZR2. I bought the truck with ~7,500 miles on it and it has done this from the beginning. I roll to a stop. I pause while I look at the intersection. The, I hit the gas. The truck does little more than roll for about a second and then takes off like one would expect. It does this nearly (probably) every time. At highway speeds, I feel like I can't feather the throttle either. It seems like I push it down, no increase. I push it down some more, no increase. Then, it downshifts and picks up the minor speed adjustment I requested. This part I can possibly attribute to me being used to my old truck (98 K1500 with 5.7). Even at 265k miles, it still had decent power. Ironically, why I ended up with a Colorado is because it matched my old truck for HP/Tq, etc it pretty much matched everything except the bed space. Is this just par for the course for these 3.6's and I am expecting too much? The delay at stop signs is more concerning to me than at speed. Once warranty expires, I will probably get a S/C. I've got nearly $4k saved (of "play dough" money as I call it) towards that. But, in the meantime... Does what it is doing sound right/usual? If the answer is yes, would a tune fix these? I am stock on all drivetrain components and most likely will stay at or near the factory specs.

Thanks for your help.
Hi I also have a 2019 and it is very sluggish at the first step of the gas pedal. I press down and it may roll a bit then shudders then takes off . It's almost like someone's pinching the gas line. I'm also having an issue with not being able to shift it out of park on occasion. And the infotainment center has been doing funny things lately. And most of all I can't sit and listen to radio for 10 mins without truck on or battery dies . I've never heard of such a thing . I. At about 42k milage and stuff seems to be popping up left and right. Oh also I've had front brake caliper issues malfunctioning they have fixed it 2x niw and niw driver side is doing it again. Errr.

·
Vendor
46 Posts
Bambihunter, you do not have to settle, lose your warranty, or spend a lot of money. You can simply try our throttle body and throttle controller for 30 days at no risk, and change the driving dynamics of your truck on the go from fuel-saving settings to insanely fast response. On top of that, you'll have the extra capacity to handle future power gains mods.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Why the adapter plate?

·
Registered
594 Posts
This topic annoys me. The driver demand table intentionally has an exponential curve. Your foot is the ultimate throttle remapper. Y'all just need to get over your decades of muscle memory. I genuinely can't believe that people pay money for a device that does nothing other than fool your brain into thinking less pedal is more pedal.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Also I see no evidence that the computer learns anything about your pedal input. A specific amount of pedal maps directly to a specific amount of demand. I think what is actually happening is you are reprogramming your brain and you are unreliable narrators.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Here is the driver demand table from a v6 colorado:

Note that a specific amount of accelerator position maps directly to a desired amount of wheel torque depending on your current speed. The computer figures out a shitload of stuff to get you that wheel torque unless it hits a limit in one of many tables.

This is very basic stuff and everyone should understand it, otherwise I promise you aren't prepared to compete in the labor market over the next 20 years as engineers automate everything.

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
Also I see no evidence that the computer learns anything about your pedal input. A specific amount of pedal maps directly to a specific amount of demand. I think what is actually happening is you are reprogramming your brain and you are unreliable narrators.
This topic annoys me. The driver demand table intentionally has an exponential curve. Your foot is the ultimate throttle remapper. Y'all just need to get over your decades of muscle memory. I genuinely can't believe that people pay money for a device that does nothing other than fool your brain into thinking less pedal is more pedal.
Yes! thank you

·
Vendor
46 Posts
Exactly, an intentionally exponential curve; wouldn't be nice to have a device that can make that curve be whatever you want it to be on the go and warranty safe? This is why people pay money for these devices, and they do not return them, they keep them and love them.

But that is not all, add our throttle body and the "knee" of the actual airflow vs. throttle position curve gets wider (more linear), then you feather and you get what you expect, not to mention all other benefits of more airflow in combination with other mods.

We think that we are wired to expect linearly proportional results for a given input, i.e. if we demand 1/2 with our foot we expect 1/2 as the output, this is why it is pleasing having the control, what you predict will happen, actually happens when you expect it.

Yes, your foot can do the same, if you master it you do not need a controller. This is for those who do not want to go that route. Like anything else, if you can do it yourself, you do not need to buy anything at all.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2 3.6 v6 Midnight Edition with sports bar
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Then skip over the topic, no need to reply multiple times with snarky remarks.

Why should I change my habits for this one vehicle? None of my other vehicles do this (new or old). It's worth my hard earned money to me to not be annoyed by something every time I use it for the next 150k miles. I wasn't impressed by the sound system, so I changed it too.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
2016 Laser Blue 4x4 Extended Cab 3.6 LFX V-6 with Flux Capacitor Upgrade
1,327 Posts
I bet you have small feet. 🤡

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
I bet you have small feet. 🤡
lol, that's a clown? They have big feet. Or just big shoes?
I personally like the expo in the throttle, I use it flying RC planes too (not the throttle but all other inputs). but that's just me I guess.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As recommended by others the Trifecta tune software is awesome. My 2021 ZR2 is far more responsive. It corrected all of the odd shifting issues and recalibrated the 4 mph speedo error (at 60mph) caused by adding 33” tires.
I agree, with the Trifecta tune the biggest improvement is a huge increase in low rpm torque and smoother transmission shifting. I don't get that low speed acceleration bog now even when towing my travel trailer.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I think you have it bass akwards. The V6 puts out roughly the same hp as a relatively high performance muscle car did in my youth. Yet the pedal response has been dumbed down compared to the cars that weren't drive by wire. I can't say why that is other than to speculate it has something to do with meeting EPA standards or perhaps more nefariously, a request from the insurance companies. At any rate, I'd be interested in seeing how a truck with a Soler device performs vs a truck with a Trifecta tune. My gut tells me that a lot of the perceived performance improvement of the Trifecta tune is caused by reprogramming the pedal response and charging a boat load of money for it. Adding 20hp to a 300hp engine isn't going to give that much seat of the pants response as an instant throttle response will. It will show over a 1/4 mile of course, but I'd bet if you took the average driver and had them try a truck with the Soler device and one with the Trifecta tune w/o telling them which was which, they'd have difficulty telling the two apart. I'd like to see that happen!

·
Registered
8,639 Posts
I think you have it bass akwards. The V6 puts out roughly the same hp as a relatively high performance muscle car did in my youth. Yet the pedal response has been dumbed down compared to the cars that weren't drive by wire. I can't say why that is other than to speculate it has something to do with meeting EPA standards or perhaps more nefariously, a request from the insurance companies. At any rate, I'd be interested in seeing how a truck with a Soler device performs vs a truck with a Trifecta tune. My gut tells me that a lot of the perceived performance improvement of the Trifecta tune is caused by reprogramming the pedal response and charging a boat load of money for it. Adding 20hp to a 300hp engine isn't going to give that much seat of the pants response as an instant throttle response will. It will show over a 1/4 mile of course, but I'd bet if you took the average driver and had them try a truck with the Soler device and one with the Trifecta tune w/o telling them which was which, they'd have difficulty telling the two apart. I'd like to see that happen!
yup.

·
Registered
121 Posts
When I bought my truck in December 2016, the thing I could not get used to was the lag of the gas pedal input. At the time, it was the Pedal Commander or a Tune to correct/improve the response. I went with the Pedal Commander due to warranty concerns. I have been very happy with the choice.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
PC X2! I also get to still enjoy the days of muscle memory!

Reactions: gherbert
21 - 40 of 42 Posts