Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2 3.6 v6 Midnight Edition with sports bar
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen a lot of talk about it on here, so I am going to ask and see if it is unique to my 2019 ZR2. I bought the truck with ~7,500 miles on it and it has done this from the beginning. I roll to a stop. I pause while I look at the intersection. The, I hit the gas. The truck does little more than roll for about a second and then takes off like one would expect. It does this nearly (probably) every time. At highway speeds, I feel like I can't feather the throttle either. It seems like I push it down, no increase. I push it down some more, no increase. Then, it downshifts and picks up the minor speed adjustment I requested. This part I can possibly attribute to me being used to my old truck (98 K1500 with 5.7). Even at 265k miles, it still had decent power. Ironically, why I ended up with a Colorado is because it matched my old truck for HP/Tq, etc it pretty much matched everything except the bed space. Is this just par for the course for these 3.6's and I am expecting too much? The delay at stop signs is more concerning to me than at speed. Once warranty expires, I will probably get a S/C. I've got nearly $4k saved (of "play dough" money as I call it) towards that. But, in the meantime... Does what it is doing sound right/usual? If the answer is yes, would a tune fix these? I am stock on all drivetrain components and most likely will stay at or near the factory specs.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
I haven't seen a lot of talk about it on here, so I am going to ask and see if it is unique to my 2019 ZR2. I bought the truck with ~7,500 miles on it and it has done this from the beginning. I roll to a stop. I pause while I look at the intersection. The, I hit the gas. The truck does little more than roll for about a second and then takes off like one would expect. It does this nearly (probably) every time. At highway speeds, I feel like I can't feather the throttle either. It seems like I push it down, no increase. I push it down some more, no increase. Then, it downshifts and picks up the minor speed adjustment I requested. This part I can possibly attribute to me being used to my old truck (98 K1500 with 5.7). Even at 265k miles, it still had decent power. Ironically, why I ended up with a Colorado is because it matched my old truck for HP/Tq, etc it pretty much matched everything except the bed space. Is this just par for the course for these 3.6's and I am expecting too much? The delay at stop signs is more concerning to me than at speed. Once warranty expires, I will probably get a S/C. I've got nearly $4k saved (of "play dough" money as I call it) towards that. But, in the meantime... Does what it is doing sound right/usual? If the answer is yes, would a tune fix these? I am stock on all drivetrain components and most likely will stay at or near the factory specs.

Thanks for your help.
No, that doesn't sound normal at all.
But...could it be that you aren't used to the drive by wire? Some people feel like it lags like that. Or could it be you are expecting more torque? Your old truck will have more torque/power at low RPMs that the V6.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Try driving it in tow mode and see if that helps
My 2017 ZR2 does not do that , but when I drive the wifes GrandCherokee it's gas pedal is a lot more sensitive and I sometimes gives it to much gas expecting it to be like my truck and the wife gives me that look...

these trucks gas pedal has a lot more travel then any truck I have owned but I am used to it...

Reactions: Firehk and White016

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Sounds like your not coming to a complete stop. It's normal to act like that with a rolling stop. The Trifecta tune eliminates 99% of it.

Reactions: Gmunn

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
888 Posts
The following is an uneducated explanation of some **** I heard third hand from unreliable sources- so I’ll spew it as fact here :) Drive by wire seems to interpret your pedal commands. A slow blip to 10% throttle will exhibit different behavior than a quick blip to 10%. It’s not just more gas it’s how the truck reacts to your input. It’s hard to explain but this is why people say the truck learns as you drive it. (At least that’s the lore I bought into with my avalanche) if you quick blip then ease off it seems to take off a little better and skip the lag. (Again you should fact check the crap outta me)

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
you can buy the pedal commander that is for sale in the classifieds, that will help the sensitivity of the gas pedal

maybe scoot the seat up a notch or 2

·
Registered
2021 GMC Canyon AT4
379 Posts
The following is an uneducated explanation of some **** I heard third hand from unreliable sources- so I’ll spew it as fact here :) Drive by wire seems to interpret your pedal commands. A slow blip to 10% throttle will exhibit different behavior than a quick blip to 10%. It’s not just more gas it’s how the truck reacts to your input. It’s hard to explain but this is why people say the truck learns as you drive it. (At least that’s the lore I bought into with my avalanche) if you quick blip then ease off it seems to take off a little better and skip the lag. (Again you should fact check the crap outta me)
Like a controller that has integral or proportional features (can’t remember which one; instrumentation nerds, please correct me)? Then it’s time to experiment!

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
2021 GMC AT4 CCSB
69 Posts
That sounds like the normal behavior for these trucks. I added the Soler throttle controller to remove the lag and it was one of the best dollar for dollar investments I've made.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I can't remember if it was like this when I very first got it. I bought the truck, and within a week or two I got COVID and then didn't drive it for a bit. I know it has been like that since.
I will try the tow mode idea. That may show some interesting results.
I haven't ruled out a tune. I had thought about trying one before a supercharger anyway, but I still want one just because.... reasons. ;-)

I sit way too close to the steering wheel already. I am 6'4" and I sit close even with the wheel telescoped out. I have back issues and if I am not close, I slump and then riding kills my back. I have always feared an airbag deployment as I wonder if I am too close, but I think there are a lot of short people that probably sit close too.

I haven't really understood the need for "gas pedal by wire". I am not a luddite, but it seemed fine as it was. Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Canyon AT4
379 Posts
I haven't really understood the need for "gas pedal by wire". I am not a luddite, but it seemed fine as it was. Seems like a solution in search of a problem.
It was never for your benefit. It’s to keep warranty claims down. The computer can pull throttle out of a drive by wire if your hurting the engine or tranny. It can’t do that with a traditional throttle cable.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
S2H, that's a good point. I guess that is probably better than a safety switch just killing the ignition like the old low oil pressure relays used to do.

I don't always come to a complete stop (I live in the country), but it doesn't seem to matter whether I do or not. I guess I may end up going aftermarket. Just wanted to see if I had a malfunction before going to upgrades.

No, I am not used to 'by wire' controls of the new trucks. I have an 1983 Hurst/Olds, a '98 K1500 (which I sold to my nephew), and then jumped 21 years newer to my 2019 ZR2. I hope to get 21 years out of this truck too. But, by then we'll all be driving EV if papa Joe gets his wish. Maybe it can fly and we'll go "Jetson's". LOL

Reactions: Firehk and Hunter62

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
The drive by wire does a Lot of things today. Much of it is for emissions as it can vary at shift point and different driving conditions to improve emissions and drivability.

In some vehicles it can vary if there is a performance mode to make it more aggressive. It works with the adaptive cruise.

My old GTP used to be aggressive at lower speeds and at highway speeds it would be not as sensitive.

The one thing with the 3.6 is you need to learn how to drive it if you are coming from a V8 or a turbo 4. It really has no real power or toque till you reach 3000 RPM. After that it loads up much more power. It is made to rev and make power at higher RPM. The extra RPM hurts nothing as it was built to do this.

The 4 valves Compression and higher RPM make the engine burn cleaner.

Now if you have an issue it is hard to say with out really driving it. What may appear to be wrong may be normal or you could have a issue but often those come with a CEL.

·
Registered
‘17 Colorado 4WD WT CCSB
209 Posts
You can change the way you drive and the computer will "learn" your new driving style. Be more aggressive with the throttle for a week or so. This gives the ECM time to learn your inputs. This should improve things. The ECM is programmed for fuel economy and not max performance. If you notice no improvement at all, there could be something else wrong.

I am one of those types that doesn't have a fully consistent driving style. I monitor the the fuel economy indicator and try to get above 30 mpg. Then I go places where I drive it hard. The computer probably hates me. But I have noticed that coasting to a stop sign instead of hard braking is when the "lag" is really noticeable.

Drive it like you stole it for a few days and have some fun. See if it helps. YMMV

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
you can buy the pedal commander that is for sale in the classifieds, that will help the sensitivity of the gas pedal

maybe scoot the seat up a notch or 2
My 2016 did the same thing, but I added a Pedal Commander two weeks ago. I have it set on City -1, and it runs like a scalded dog now.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
2,488 Posts

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Add the Soler throttle controller. It's far cheaper than the Pedal commander, better designed, and offers more options. Install is easy, but pay attention to the instructions when first setting up the unit. Total install time is around 20 minutes, and price for the unit is $99 vs more than double that for the Pedal Commander. It's a worthy addition and will not void your warranty.

I give it 2 (y) (y)

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
I picked up the PC on the forum for $100 shipped, awesome deal.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Pedal commander!!!!!!! Just buy it.

·
Vendor
46 Posts
OP, this is a common issue to some of us, some others will consider it normal. You'd be surprised to know that Corvettes also do this, it is intentional and happens all across the GM fleet. Anyway, we have a couple of products designed to eliminate that feeling among other things, and that is all we do, throttle control. Please, give us a try, pretty sure your driving experience will change dramatically for the better.

Throttle Body: SE1014, 72 mm (76 mm Eff.) for 3.6L V6 (LGX/LGZ), Camaro 6, Colorado/Canyon — Soler Performance LLC

Throttle Controller: SE0809-TC Throttle Controller: Colorado/Canyon (2015-Present), Pontiac G8 ('08-'09) — Soler Performance LLC

Don't hesitate to email or call if you have any questions.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts