Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any advice? what gears/traction control/angles?

·
Registered
569 Posts
if you have the Z71 then I believe you have a locking rear-end. which really helps.

my advice....if you go offroad like a ways into the woods, better go with someone that has a 4x4. Unless where you're going doesnt get too narly and you know that you can handle it.

a 2wd with a locker does just fine offroad as long as you have good tires. me and my friend rode around in his jeep and he kept it in 2wd the whole time unless we were going through bad mud or through washouts. he rarely had to put in 4lo, if anything he needed 4hi and we were on some awsome trails.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
best advice I have is to go with someone with a 4X4. Have straps to help you out of mud, and a phone and such. Nothing worse than getting stuck in the middle of nowhere and having no one to pull you out.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
keep it in drive or should i drop it? i've only gone once and kept it in drive and it whined pretty good. if i put it in 2nd or 3rd, would that be better or what?

·
Registered
569 Posts
you can put it in a lower gear like 1 2 or 3 what ever that 4l60e has. that's if you just want to keep it in that gear, like if there's is a long patch of mud or sugar sand and you want better throttle control/response.

if you're just cruising along through the woods then drive is fine.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
If you put it in 2nd gear the trans starts off in 2nd and will continue to 3rd and OD if you get to those speeds. Its meant for slippery conditions (snow/ice) to give you more control to avoid spinning when starting off. I dont see much use for it in offroading. If you're stuck, most of the time you want to spin the tires until you hopefully find some solid ground.

I guess you could keep it in 1st if you want and dont mind the extra engine braking. Otherwise 3 or D should be fine seeing as you'll probably never get up to such a high speed. FYI, 3rd will run up through 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Dont do neutral drops btw. If you want to start off with some rpm, while in a forward gear (not 2nd - this wouldnt make sense to do in 2nd) hold the brake and the gas till the engine hits the stall speed (about 3000rpm I think) then release the brake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts