Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Canyon SLT, V6, 4X4, Longbed, Cyber Metallic Gray
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2" lift and 4 ply 275/55R20 tires I thought my average would have went down to 22 ish

1st tank 327 miles 18.64 mpg. All interstate
I didn't think my mpg would have went down 6.2 + mpg
Calculated, not from dash.
25%+ loss
Just surprised me.
My 19k mile average is going down to 23.8.
I have not got the trifecta yet, waiting to see what sale they have in a week.

What has been your mpg loss?
With what combination of lift and tires ?

TY

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I don't have either modification, but I remember the long term Bison Duramax that I think it was Truck Trend had got really poor mileage compared to my LT Duramax. From memory probably about 25% less, but there were probably driving style differences too.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
After 2" lift and 4 ply 275/55R20 tires I thought my average would have went down to 22 ish

25%+ loss
Just surprised me.

TY
It's been a while but I'll bet I lost 5mpg highway with lift and tires, maybe more. Speed on the highway makes a HUGE difference. I use the trucks calc now cause I tested it and it was within 1 mpg of manual testing. I'm using the Hypertech to adjust for tires.

Reactions: 93Duc

·
Registered
331 Posts
That seems pretty high! When I was still stock I was getting around 23 on the highway, 17-18 around town on the dash. I haven't gotten the chance to do much highway driving since I modded but I'm getting 15-16 around town now. Went to 265/70r17s with about an inch and half difference in offset, suspension lifted the front end 2 inches and the back end 1.5. I think I added around 20 lbs per wheel, but don't quote me on that. I'm itching to do a road trip to really see how it's changed the highway numbers.

·
Registered
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 in Silver Ice Metallic
187 Posts

25%+ loss
Just surprised me.

TY
I am setup pretty similar to Bumble and I just installed the Eibach pro truck kit at 2" front / 1" rear and 267/70/r17 Toyo Open Country AT 3's (increase of about 6 lbs per tire over stock). I was averaging around 22 / 22.5mpg and dropped down to about 20 mpg after the switch (and trifecta install). I do mostly rural highway and freeway driving, with about 20% city driving mixed in, and my driving patterns almost never change that much. However I noticed just in the last couple of weeks that my mileage has dropped down to about 19.2 (according to the DIC) so I am wondering if they have switched over to winter blend gasoline (Ohio).

Reactions: bumbletruck

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking about the winter blends.
That tank was filup beside I 57, then to 64 toward louisville, Sunday night traffic, then pull off to hotel, started truck back up and headed back home, pulled off and filled up by evansville 99.5% + highway.

If my milage seems high, due to pretty much being all long drives interstate every week.

Unless my truck already had a tune in it when I bought it and I will just be throwing my money away when I buy one

My setup I went to, I weighed everything new and old to compare

Reactions: Skidog

·
Registered
412 Posts
Not sure if this will help with mine being the diesel. My observations are that I lost about 2 or 3 MPG average.

Brief:
2 inch lift / 265/70 R17 @ 54.6 lbs each - 45 psi / steel drive shaft / Roof Top Tent wind resistance
22 to 25 MPG combined average. The lowest MPG I’ve ever encountered was an entire day off road, aired down, 15.x mpg

Prior to tire upgrade, RTT and drive shaft I was typically getting 25 to 27 mpg on the highway @ 65 mph set on cruse control. 23-27 city freeway driving, lowest off road was 18 mpg

Believe my lift is about the same as your setup. ZR2 is 2 inch lift over non-ZR2 Colorado if memory serves correctly. Tire size is 265/70 R17 E rated Nitto Ridge Grappler, tire weight is 54.6 lbs - 45 psi. Tire/speed correction via Rough Country speedometer calibrator.
I have a GMPP steel drive shaft, adds 4 or 6 lbs, don’t recall exactly.
Also have a RTT mounted that adds wind resistance. My Bison still has rake, I suspect that helps. I also have the fresh air intake from AEV. While I cannot provide evidence, I suspect that helps.

My usual driving is approx 20% stop-n-go and 70% freeway (in city) and occasionally highway and occasionally off road & light rock crawling making the other 10%. Typical freeway speed is 60-70 mph, conditions permitting, in a hilly city and numerous overpasses on my routes. Highway speed is 70-80, typically 70 mph.

Have found over 1.5 yr that my DIC Trip calculator > 90% of the time is within tenths (not 1/10, but tenths plural) of hand calculated.

My average is ~25 mpg on summer fuel. MPG drops noticeably with winter fuel to about 22 or 23. Past COVID quarantine conditions have dropped my lifetime average @ ~17k miles to 22.8 due to minimal driving, but pulling truck out of garage and back in several times a week over ~ 5 months (extremely minimal idling though).

Have noticed that the engine is more responsive and my MPG increases after an oil change. The longest between oil changes is 4,153 miles. At 17,359 miles I had the 5th oil change. I also use a fuel additive, which I believe helps improve MPG. Air filter changed @ 11,305 miles

11508AD7-98C1-4F75-A405-5F56CE8DFF9B.jpeg 619EF730-162D-49AE-97D0-109A4846B67F.jpeg 056ADF96-885C-4701-AF80-8771220F9A77.jpeg 31AC7866-2ECD-4912-896B-3A9E2CA78187.jpeg

51D7532E-C49F-4FF6-B775-DDDE9F8883DF.jpeg 30ACD156-4AB6-4573-8531-04BDD56EDEDF.jpeg 9E862498-A263-43D4-BD07-6CCE7AD09550.jpeg 6D1DBB18-ADB7-41CC-94C6-255119A71937.jpeg

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ty.
54.6 lbs that is alot of weight.
I need to change title of thread, for all to report their before and after #'s, gas or diesel, their driving style, tire & wheel info etc.

Reactions: 93Duc

·
Registered
331 Posts
Do you know the weight you added with the tires? I'm suspecting my mileage drop was primarily due to increasing weight of wheel/tire combo by almost 70lbs. I just calculated 17.2 lbs per wheel, which I think is somewhere around a 33% increase. I probably should have considered that more carefully... oof.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
14.4 lbs each, from scale.
Basically like adding 560 lbs in bed.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With weight of tires and wheels added 14.4 lbs per corner, usually quick calc can say every 1 pound of ratational weight equals 10 lbs of static weight, i think it is 1 to 9.8.
So adding 57.6 lbs of rotational weight equals 564.48 lbs of static weight, due to power loss, it takes more power to turn heavier tires and wheels like it takes more power to move added weight in bed.

That is without aerodynamics being fugured, I left the air dam on, jeez I might be at 15 mpg if I took it off hahahahaha

Make sense ?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The math is, generally speaking, each additional pound of unsprung/rotational mass can be comparable to 8-10lbs of sprung mass. So if you add 15lbs of rotational mass at each corner it would feel similar to adding 480-600lbs in the bed. Specifics can vary, but that's a good rule of thumb.
Ahhh, you beat me to it, while I was typing.
I will try and beat you next time muahahahaha :p

Reactions: RockyMtnMax

·
Registered
2019 zr2 crew cab. Avs aeroskin hood protector and hs2 havoc step bars. Weather tech splash guards
63 Posts
Stock zr2 here with v6 and 16k miles and I average 19mpg overall. It's all speed dependent. Keep it under 55 mph cruising back roads and it will get 21. Hit the interstate at 70+ and it'll get 18 on a non windy day. Add a head wind at interstate speed and 17 is reality. With the zr2 front end, the aero isn't good at all for higher speed.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Ahhh, you beat me to it, while I was typing.
I will try and beat you next time muahahahaha :p
So.....Does this apply to that rotational weight once it is moving? Or just to get it moving? It makes no since that once you are at rolling speed that it makes any difference. (other than just the added weight of course. In fact, they would help you keep moving too, correct?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To get moving is what is more noticeable, but to maintain, the throttle body is open more, maybe be just a few percent.

That would be a compare, I can load my torque app and set gauges showing truck info like theottle position, fuel usage, at what speed and elevation, to compare

·
Registered
2020 WT 4X4 longbed
19 Posts

25%+ loss
Just surprised me.

TY
Gotta ask the question. Did you calculate the tire circumference? Lots larger tires are going to record less miles on the odometer hence less miles on your gallon.

Just kind of curious here.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Miles driven was calculated from increase in tires size.
Ty for asking

Miles difference is 1.04%

1 - 20 of 31 Posts