Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here but long time Colorado owner. So I ordered a new Z71 on 4/2 and after reading lots of news and forums Wentzville was idled but now up and running as of the 12th. So if I use the automated system it says the vehicle has not been accepted by GM yet and the order paper the dealer gave me shows 1100 status. So 5 days ago I used my iPhone and got a live rep that said the vehicle has now been accepted by GM but no production date has been assigned yet. They did not give me a status code and I forgot to ask. So this Saturday I used the automated system and it came back vehicle has not been accepted by GM yet. There are no allocation issues from the dealer so that is not a holdup. There is a ton of information saying anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks to 6 months minimum on all orders right now with this chip shortage but a local news article from Wentzville implied they have overcome this and are working 3 shifts to make up the down time and to fulfill retail and stock orders. I also read on the forums there are 20k plus trucks sitting awaiting chips but have not been able to substantiate that claim.Is this normal to get conflicting information? Why GM chooses to keep the consumer which is what keeps them in business in the dark is astounding to me. It appears most of the other Manufacturers go out of their way to provide as accurate information as possible. Fingers crossed I get some accurate information soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm in the exact same boat. Placed a factory order on 2/23 for a Z71 CCSB Duramax and have heard nothing but crickets. If it's true Wentzville shuts down at the end of May to start retooling for the 2022 model year that doesn't leave a whole lot of time for them to crank through all of the back orders. One would hope they'd prioritize sold orders over unsold dealer inventory but perhaps I'm giving them too much credit.

Oh, and I see in the GM Authority Daily Digest that April Colorado deliveries receive a $3,750 manufacturer's incentive. One more thing I'm sad to be missing.

Edit: Oops, I see the $3,750 is for the '20 model year. It's only $1,600 for the '21s. But that's better than nothing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So a small update. I spoke to a live person today by calling GM customer assistance. They put me on hold to get the latest information. So they tell me it is accepted by GM but there is no production date. The person on the other end said they tend to pull orders in batches for production but that was the most information she had at this time. She said to follow up every two or so weeks to check for status updates or to contact my dealer. The Dealer said when I ordered the truck to not call them all the time to check for updates. So I will stick with GM customer assistance for now. I did see as well they will shut down in May for retooling for the 22’s. That’s where it gets sketchy. It’s implied they will use that time to fulfill current orders for 21’s but that is confusing if the line is shut down. I see also the vehicle has increased 1000 since the order was created so not sure if I pay 1000 more or they stick to the price at time of order. Good luck with your order.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As noted in the other threads - communication/transparency is the issue. If we were told a closer to reality estimate of "hey you're looking at 4-5 months as a heads up" before putting in an order - that'd be much better than the alternative. When I put my order in back in February - I was told normal turn around for their Colorados were 7-8 weeks, however during COVID it had turned into 12-14 weeks.

I'm 9 weeks in and still at 1100 - not feeling like even the 14-16 weeks is likely as you noted around the shutdown/retooling for 2022 models. Having been down this road before with a Pontiac Solstice (ordered April 05, received December 05) and then my Camaro - patience is key for this process.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm currently 13 weeks into the process. I placed the order for my 2021 Colorado on Jan 21 (1100) and the order was broadcast for production on Feb 11 (3400). The truck was produced on Mar 04 (3800) and I have a VIN. It was placed on hold (4D00) until Mar 31 when it was transported to Granite City, IL (4300) intermediate delivery. I have reached out to GM Online Assistance and my local dealer. I then contacted the North East GM Regional Rep and he said "The vehicle is still in Wentzville waiting for a microchip". I told him it's actually in Granite City, IL. I have no idea when I will see my truck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I lost out on 3, yes 3 White 2021 Z71's I signed for back in late Dec, as they all got sold out from underneath me. Ended up "settling" for a satin steel 2021 Z71 on the lot instead of placing an order. Based on what I'm reading here, given I now love this truck color (swapped out chrome emblems for black), I'm happy to not have ordered. I think.... I have an annoying whistle in my AC blower on mid to full air flow that Chevrolet says they'll have to pull apart my dash to figure out. They already replaced the actual blower motor as they said it was rattling / shaking and was defective.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I drove right by the 2 lots in North St. Louis last Friday that has the Colorado/Canyons waiting for the chip and forget to look to see if they are both full, I only get to Granite City when I go to the archery shop, but I know where that lot is,

Reactions: dfosher

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm currently 13 weeks into the process. I placed the order for my 2021 Colorado on Jan 21 (1100) and the order was broadcast for production on Feb 11 (3400). The truck was produced on Mar 04 (3800) and I have a VIN.
I'm just behind you, ordered Feb 8 produced 1st or 2nd week of Mar. Code 4300, 'in transit' to Madison IL. Hang in there. I put money down so they shouldn't be able to sell it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I noticed the online inventory in my area is starting to show "In-Transit" Colorado's with VIN's ending with 127XXXX. My VIN ends with 123XXXX (produced 3/4) and is still sitting in a lot near the plant. Do you think they are shipping new produced vehicles before putting microchips in the ones produced two months ago? What's going on here?

·
Registered
2021 GMC Canyon AT4 CCSB Diesel
209 Posts
So I noticed the online inventory in my area is starting to show "In-Transit" Colorado's with VIN's ending with 127XXXX. My VIN ends with 123XXXX (produced 3/4) and is still sitting in a lot near the plant. Do you think they are shipping new produced vehicles before putting microchips in the ones produced two months ago? What's going on here?
Some dealerships pull inventory as soon as a VIN is assigned, not necessarily shipped. I'm sure my website shows 100 Canyons but we are being advised we won't see them for a couple months. They are built without chips.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
All the chevy dealerships and gmc dealership in the Charlotte NC area are literally empty of Colorados and Canyons. And used ones are selling for a premium. Makes me happy I got my 2019 in January of 2020 for a great price. Now older trucks, in lower trim levels with more miles are being sold (when available) for MORE than what I paid for my 2019 All Terrain, with less miles. Crazy market right now.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
My local dealer is trying to buy used Colorados just to have some inventory, sales guy told me they have no idea what may show up on a day to day basis as to Silverardos and Blazers and Tahoes. the day I was there he said they got 2 silverados in the day before and a Tahoe in that morning, and that is all they had on the lot besides the EV Bolts and dinky cars

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cancelled my AT4 after zero information from dealer other than “we’ll keep you posted “ but when I got through to GM Canada was told no chips until early August at earliest. Backlog was likely going to push truck well into new year for delivery.
As I got my deposit back, finance person not knowing of my conversation with GM at that point says... “suprised you’re cancelling as your truck was next to be built”🙄
At that point, I was l glad I was cancelling.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
For the Hell of it, I logged onto Laura Buick GMC's site (largest GMC dealer in the country and where I bought my truck, and near the Wentzville plant) they have 11 Canyons on their lot and, the discounts off MSRP are about 2.4K. For perspective's sake, when I bought my '17 they had over 600 trucks on the lot and the discount off MSRP was over 8 grand. No wonder used twins command good resale.

Now is clearly not a great time to buy a new truck.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Now is clearly not a great time to buy a new truck.
My local Chevy dealer said on the radio Friday that they will probably give yoou more for your 2018-19 then what you paid for it new...he even said it is crazy right now

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
My local Chevy dealer said on the radio Friday that they will probably give yoou more for your 2018-19 then what you paid for it new...he even said it is crazy right now
Yep, I got a letter from a local dealer offering 33.5K trade in on my Canyon. If I drove off in a new Acadia (which evidently is not a good seller) they would owe me 7K :LOL:

Reactions: Hunter62
1 - 20 of 21 Posts