Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2022 AT4 CCSB Diesel
134 Posts
I'm guessing that they will have an "Exhaust tip relocation" option like they do on current models.

Overall, not a bad looking truck so far

·
Registered
9,048 Posts
same wheel wells, still cannot fit anything larger then a 265/70

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
428 Posts
Seeing these makes me less excited and the only reason I'd be swayed is the updated interior
Even camouflaged has a frontier vibe to me

Reactions: Yukondiesel

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado CCLB, 2.8L Duramax, Shadow Metalic Grey. 2" level kit
188 Posts
I seems like the North American midsize truck market just copies whatever is successful on the global market and then just cut/paste and claim its new. Hand me downs from Europe or Australia without the same engine/etc configurations.
Seems like Chevy is just cookie cutting the Holden/Mitsubishi from the global market. Ford did the same with the Ranger (and a ton of other stuff)
I'm just hoping to see upfitter switches that can be retrofitted to the gen2. Similar to those of the super duty would be amazing

·
Registered
2019 Colorado WT, CCSB, V6 4x4
194 Posts
Of course hard to see under the camouflage, but looks Silverado-ish ..?

Agree with previous post. These manufacturers seem to copy each other and seem to have difficulty being different.

Cadillac was pretty bold and unique in 2000’s, but now they seem to have fallen in line with headlights stretched into fenders and the like.

I have no intention of buying one, happy with my bare bones 2019.

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
4,759 Posts
The 2.7 is awesome

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I seems like the North American midsize truck market just copies whatever is successful on the global market and then just cut/paste and claim its new. Hand me downs from Europe or Australia without the same engine/etc configurations.
Seems like Chevy is just cookie cutting the Holden/Mitsubishi from the global market. Ford did the same with the Ranger (and a ton of other stuff)
I'm just hoping to see upfitter switches that can be retrofitted to the gen2. Similar to those of the super duty would be amazing
The rest of the world learns from our aircraft designs (especially military fixed wing) so why not return the favor.

Reactions: Yukondiesel

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Not sure if this will work. (Guess it did.) From the EPA website. I included the V8 just for some comparison. I can say I am hitting those EPA estimates on my V8 Silverado and even exceeding them slightly. My last tank was primarily city, but probably could be called a goods combined number, hit 18.6 MPG. My best highway for 50 miles is over 28 MPG. In my Canyon, I actually did a 25 or 50 mile rating at 34 MPG.

Automotive parking light Car Tire Wheel Motor vehicle

Comparing the 2.7L in the Silverado to the 3.6L in the Colorado. The Turbo beats the V6 in the city, but has problems on the highway. Not sure that makes sense to me. Of course, it is not an apples-to-apples comparison, almost like a fruit & vegetable comparison since the 3rd Gen Colorado will also get the 10 speed. I would have expected the heavier Silverado would have suffered in the stop-n-go traffic in the city as opposed to the Colorado, they must really bias the test to make the stop-start function look good.

Intuitively, I would think the 2.7 was a better fit for the Colorado than the Silverado.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I was curious, since we know the vehicles are all built to the specs of the EPA test and not necessarily indicative of real world use, and went to fuelly.com to see what people are getting. Chose 2021 as the year for all but did not pick out specific configurations (doesn't seem to be an easy way to do that and trim levels seem less relevant).

2021 Colorado V6 - 18.9 average across 40 vehicles and 455k miles
2021 Silverado 2.7T - 19.0 average across 30 vehicles and 287k miles
2021 Silverado 5.3 - 16.2 average across 96 vehicles and just under 1.2M miles

Out of curiosity:
2019 Silverado 4.3 V6 - 18.8 average across 9 vehicles and 218k miles. 2020 had similar sample size and was 16.0. Other recent years were too small a sample size really. Also more likely to be in fleet vehicles.

The V8 and V6 both do about 2mpg worse than their EPA combined number, the 2.7T 1mpg worse.

I'd think the 4 in the Colorado should be able to crack 20mpg real world with the weight savings and likely better aerodynamics over a Silverado. Be interesting to see how much quicker she gets with the power boost and 2 extra cogs in the trans. Car and Driver got a 14.8 out of the LGX, that's pretty quick for a basic truck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The 2.7 with the ten speed is definitely going to be a slick truck IMHO. Torque curve is awesome and it will have to rev less when towing. Oddly enough, it's the only engine I would want if I were to buy a 1500.

·
Registered
2015 Colorado Crew V6 2x4
460 Posts
I'm averaging 22 - 23mpg normally (regular commute) in my 2015 with the V6 and crew cab...2 wheel drive. I feel pretty confident the next gen in a similar configuration with the 2.7 should be able to best that by 1 or 2 mpg.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
I was curious, since we know the vehicles are all built to the specs of the EPA test and not necessarily indicative of real world use, and went to fuelly.com to see what people are getting. Chose 2021 as the year for all but did not pick out specific configurations (doesn't seem to be an easy way to do that and trim levels seem less relevant).

2021 Colorado V6 - 18.9 average across 40 vehicles and 455k miles
2021 Silverado 2.7T - 19.0 average across 30 vehicles and 287k miles
2021 Silverado 5.3 - 16.2 average across 96 vehicles and just under 1.2M miles

Out of curiosity:
2019 Silverado 4.3 V6 - 18.8 average across 9 vehicles and 218k miles. 2020 had similar sample size and was 16.0. Other recent years were too small a sample size really. Also more likely to be in fleet vehicles.

The V8 and V6 both do about 2mpg worse than their EPA combined number, the 2.7T 1mpg worse.

I'd think the 4 in the Colorado should be able to crack 20mpg real world with the weight savings and likely better aerodynamics over a Silverado. Be interesting to see how much quicker she gets with the power boost and 2 extra cogs in the trans. Car and Driver got a 14.8 out of the LGX, that's pretty quick for a basic truck.
I would argue in the full size market, the majority of people getting the 2.7L either do a lot less truck things with their Silverado than the V8 guys, or it was the only thing they could find.

When I purchased my truck in 2020 before supply was stupidly low, the closest dealer to me had few V8s, one diesel, and most were the 2.7L. I was looking to tow a larger travel trailer, so the 2.7L was a no go for me. That dealer didn't have a truck on the lot with an integrated trailer brake controller. I went to a rural dealer who supplied mainly the farm and ranch community, and got a better deal with a V8 and trailer brake controller. In a 2WD CCSB model, my 5.3L V8 had the best tow rating. The 6.2 was not available, the diesel and 2.7L had a lower rating.

A few weeks ago, I was at the same local dealer, and they had one diesel Silverado and all of the rest of the Silverados on the lot were 2.7L. Is that because everytime a 5.3L hits the lot it is sold and no one wants a 2.7L? Don't know.

I do think the 2.7L will be a good sweet engine for these mid-size models.

Reactions: NHRATA01

·
Registered
'17 Colo Z71 diesel
39 Posts
I would argue in the full size market, the majority of people getting the 2.7L either do a lot less truck things with their Silverado than the V8 guys, or it was the only thing they could find.
I do think the 2.7L will be a good sweet engine for these mid-size models
+1

Any MPG guesses yet on the 2.7L in a Colorado?

20 MPGs is still too low with this mess that's happening with oil supply. I get 30 with my 2.8L diesel but still end up driving a Hybrid around town because it gets 40.

Full size @ grocery stores around here all the time. It's the only drivable vehicle that some folks have (despite their parking lot of rust buckets behind their homes o_O )

60 mile roundtrip (30 miles to town isn't rare out here in the country) still ends up costing more even though diesel ain't cheap. Midwest prices:

87 mixed @ $4.75/gal @ 20 MPG = $14.25
Diesel #2 @ $5.50/gal @ 30 MPG = $11.00

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
+1

Any MPG guesses yet on the 2.7L in a Colorado?

20 MPGs is still too low with this mess that's happening with oil supply. I get 30 with my 2.8L diesel but still end up driving a Hybrid around town because it gets 40.

Full size @ grocery stores around here all the time. It's the only drivable vehicle that some folks have (despite their parking lot of rust buckets behind their homes o_O )

60 mile roundtrip (30 miles to town isn't rare out here in the country) still ends up costing more even though diesel ain't cheap. Midwest prices:

87 mixed @ $4.75/gal @ 20 MPG = $14.25
Diesel #2 @ $5.50/gal @ 30 MPG = $11.00
I tossed out my estimates for the 2.7L in the Colorado at 28-30 MPG on highway a few days ago. My guess is as good as anyone else's until the EPA gets involved.

I am driving a FS truck right now because I need the tow capacity. The penalty over my Canyon with the 3.6L is probably 2-3 MPG at most for daily driving. I don't have a place to park my rust buckets out back, otherwise I would still own a 2009 Jeep Wrangler with a lifetime powertrain warranty.

Once the Silverado is paid off, we may look at an EV to replace wife's Nissan. We are using the Nissan right now for most of our daily driving excursions as it can easily get 30 MPG on all but the shortest trips. I had to run to the next county seat this past Monday, got 34 MPG versus the 25 MPG I could probably have gotten in the Silverado. About a 90 mile roundtrip, saved a gallon of gas. (Caught gas at Sam's on the way back at $4.28 a gallon.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts