Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading about the 8 speed tranny shutter. .I really have been thinking about buying a 2022 colorado with a V6 that comes with the 8 speed tranny. has the issue been fixed? what are your opinions? Also it seems the 2023 Colorado will not have a extended cab. I have not been logged into the sight for a long time but look into it once in a while. BTW bought a 2016 Colorado Extended cab V6 WT 2 WD a few options 73,000 miles now been ok. Dealer serviced since new Extremely good dealer and service dept.what would you do? Thank you Stan

·
Registered
9,756 Posts
the problem was fixed 2 years ago, I would not hesitate to buy a 2020-22,
if I was satisfied with the 2016 I would keep on driving it, even though it is nice to get a new vehicle now and then. In a couple years while putting that truck payment in the bank you can get a used 22 for a good price and pay cash.

I know easier said then done, but I drove my daily driver truck for 13 years and kept making a auto-deposit from my paycheck to a savings account.

Reactions: Firehk and gherbert

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hunter62 gives good advice. When it comes to car buying, there are few things nicer than knowing you can pay cash for whatever you end up buying.

My 2022 hasn't had any transmission issues yet, though it only has 2900 miles on it so far (600-700 miles of it being slow speed off-roading). I test drove some used 2020 and 2021 ZR2s and they too seemed fine, which seemed to reaffirm reports that they problem was fixed for 2020+ trucks.

The 2023 trucks certainly seem appealing, but there is certainly quite a bit of appeal to buying a vehicle at the end of a model life when all the issues are worked out instead of buying a first model year and being the one finds the issues - I speak from experience of owning a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (first year of the JK) and a 2011 F150 Ecoboost (first year of the 3.5L twin-turbo V6).

·
Registered
35 Posts
100% agree with the last post. I too have bought first production year vehicles (2012 JK Jeep) lifters went bad within the first 5K miles and also a 21 Bronco (not the sport) which also had its issues which made me sell it and finally embark on the ZR2 which I always liked, after a test drive I knew it was special, to me at least and I can only assume you as well since were all here sharing information. Cheers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
the problem was fixed 2 years ago, I would not hesitate to buy a 2020-22,
if I was satisfied with the 2016 I would keep on driving it, even though it is nice to get a new vehicle now and then. In a couple years while putting that truck payment in the bank you can get a used 22 for a good price and pay cash.

I know easier said then done, but I drove my daily driver truck for 13 years and kept making a auto-deposit from my paycheck to a savings account.
My son and I bought one at same time. V6 8 speed. Both when first started up and put in reverse it goes into reverse hard with a jolt. When first take off shift from 1st to 2nd slight shutter. Both trucks do it. And only when first started. Dealer said that's normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts