Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Application: 2021 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Bison

Configuration: Crew Cab / Short Box (5.2') / 3.6L Gas

Build Plan 2020 - Build Phase 1 (Bolt-on Performance - maximizing near stock trim)
  • Eibach Pro-Lift Kit Springs = 1.0 front leveling
  • Black Rhino Wheels = 17x8.5 / 0 Offset / Baker / Matte Bronze w/ Black Trim Ring
  • Milestar Tires = Patagonia X/T / 285/70R17
  • MagnaFlow Exhaust = Street Series / Cat-back / 3" / Stainless Steel
  • MagnaFlow Exhaust = Overland Series / High Clearance Cat-back / 3" / Stainless Steel
  • S&B Filters = Cold Air Intake System
  • Baja Designs = LP6 Ditch Light / LP4 Fog light / S8 20" Light Bar / Squadron SAE / Rock Lights
  • AEV Conversions = 33" Clearance Kit / Front Low tube bumper bar / Warn winch mount & remote solenoid
  • Kicker Audio = KSS 6x9 Component / KSC 6.75 Coax / CXA 65x4 Amp / HS10 Subwoofer / KMC4 Media Center / KSC 6.75 Coax / BF 400
  • 5.11 Tactical = HexGrid Vehicle Ready / 5.11 Pouches / Tactical Load Ready Utility
  • WaterPORT = 3.8 Gallon Self-Pressurized Water Tank
Build Plan 2021 - Build Phase 2 (Bigger, Badder & Bolder - Make it what you want)
  • Mallett Performance Cars Supercharger = Stage 2 / Eaton 1.9L TVS
  • RIGd UltraSwing Rear Tire Carrier = Multi-Fit / Front Runner Kitchen Table
  • ARB Dual Compressor On-Board Air
  • AEV Conversions = HighMark Fender flares / Transfer Case Skid / Crestone Beadlock Wheels
  • King Shocks = 2.5 Remote Reservoir Coil over with adjusters / 2.5 Piggyback Reservoir with adjusters
  • Deaver = Spring Expedition Leaf Pack
  • Milestar Tires = Patagonia X/T / 35x12.50R17
  • BrandMotion FullVUE & SummitView Solutions
  • ARE Z Series Cap = Ascend Roof Basket
  • Warn 9.5XP-S Winch
  • Custom Interior and Bed Organization / Storage

==========================================

First mod -

Colorado badging removed

Eibach
Pro-lift Kit Springs
p/n 30-23-007-02-20

1" (for Bison) Lift / Leveling

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Custom Bed Organizer / Storage Planning

Concept Design Parameters
  • allow for Topper EZ Lift actuators and Soft Side camper storage
  • incorporate multi-use sleep /storage area of 30" + in width
  • incorporate Kicker Media Center for audio
  • incorporate sPOD Bantam source controller
  • Incorporate Kitchen Sink / Burner assembly
  • Incorporate 5.11 Load Ready Gear and Hexgrid panels
Maintain 250 lbs max assembly weight
  • 25mm x 25mm Extruded Aluminum
  • MDF and HDPE panels

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me get them Bison wheels
I might let them go, I am still contemplating a Patagonia M/T tire in a different size for more aggressive off-roading / crawling trips on these wheels but if I let them go drop me your contact info.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
DIY - Wireless Charging Relocation

>> As with all my DIY Projects, this is what I did, not necessarily the best or the right way, so follow at your own risk <<<
It has bugged me that none of my phones from as far back as 5 years fit the OE wireless charger. Currently my phone, the Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra, is far from having any possibility of activating and utilizing the wireless pad but after an afternoon of work and help from my friend Brandin and now I have a Galaxy S20 Ultra size compatible wireless charger in a new location.

View attachment 400342

At first I disassembled the center console and the charger pad assembly from it. I then evaluated the possible locations that could house the phone and charger base under it somehow and the only places I could possibly make work were the front pocket area and the center console armrest pocket. I really wanted the phone to remain more available than under the armrest so the front pocket became the point of interest.

The factory charger is fairly large and bulky and some fitting revealed that it has a very limited window for phone positioning to get proper alignment to start the charging process. Couple this to the fact that the front pocket in the console has very little room to work with under the pocket, reusing the factory wireless pad started to get complicated and required more modification that I wanted to do.

Shifter Trim removed / Center Console Armrest Pocket removed / Wireless Charger Module removed

View attachment 400335

Center Console Side Panels Removed / Seat Heater Button Panel removed

View attachment 400336

Center Console removed / Center Console Front Pocket Panel removed / Center Console Front Pocket Tabs holes and hacksaw blade scratch marks.
- Cut the two tabs directly under the pocket to aid in removal of the console pocket without disassembling the whole upper dash
NOTE: I had cut them off additionally to allow for the new wireless charger to fit between both panels but this is based on my choice in chargers

View attachment 400337

Thinnest Wireless charger with multiple coils for best pocket coverage
  • Qi-certified / Auto Stop / 18 watt output (max for dual chargers)
  • Most importantly works with my phone (Galaxy S20 Ultra)
  • My best friend just used this same charger for his iPhone 11 in his Silverado (Thanks B)
View attachment 400338

Disassembled Wireless Charger placed between Center console base and Center Console Front Pocket panel (not shown) / USB connected
  • Remove the rubber feet pads from the new wireless charger housing to expose the 4 Philips screws and removed those to open the casing
  • Remove the 4 Philips screws holding the board to the lower casing
  • Remove the LED monofilament by pushing it in from the outside
  • Remove the board carefully along with the insulating / isolating pad (you will reuse this)
- Drill a hole in the Center Console mount to allow the USB-C cord to pass through in the groove shown

View attachment 400339

Wireless Charger placed between Center console base and Center Console Front Pocket panel
  • Position the board in the pocket area and run a few trial fits to test how the phone responds to the positioning
  • You can see the bright green led illuminate solid one the charger has linked to phone
NOTE: the charger cannot be powered by the USB port due to CAN BUS communications issues ( I used an Anker battery to do testing)

View attachment 400340

USB connected to source (Center Console Cigarette Lighter 12V) DC/DC Converter 12v to 5v and USB screw terminal connector
- In order to properly power the charger a DC/DC voltage step down is needed as I tapped into the CIG lighter switched power source in the Center Console Pocket area
NOTE: YOU can use a number of devises to get you where you need to go with power but this one worked for me. (You don't need the Terminal blocks, that is for another project ;)
- The first pigtail will power the charger and the second will go to the Center Console Armrest pocket and get power to the unused factory provision.

View attachment 400341

Prior to final assembly test the wireless charger and position to make sure that the phone charges through the pocket in the position your phone will sit it. Once you get it to work reassemble and retest.

>> As with all my DIY Projects, this is what I did, not necessarily the best or the right way, so follow at your own risk <<<
I am considering trading center consoles with someone with a NON-WIRELESS who wants wireless (and has a a small enough phone to fit) so I can get that pocket back. No need for a useless OE wireless charger and lack of a functional pocket sort of storage space.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lumen
Black LED DRL Bar Projector Headlights
p/n

>> This is what I did, not necessarily the best or the right way, so follow at your own risk <<<
Stock

ZR2 Bison Installation - requires a few different things than other models / trims

• Remove all upper Grille Torx screws
  • Remove inner fender liner Torx screws (to access inner fender and remove / loosen fender flare)
  • Remove all or front half of the fender flare snap pins
NOTE: ZR2 Bison has one pin that is in the filler at the front and I was unable to "pop" this out and they broke upon removal (plan on replacing a few of these and the front 2 are unique)
  • Place painters quick release tape on the Filler Panel lower edge (black plastic)
  • With inner fender liner out of the way remove the 3 fender to Filler Panel screws (7mm)
  • Remove the single Torx screw from near intersection of the Grille to Filler Panel and Bumper
  • Rotate the filler panel down enough to expose the alignment pins on the outside and reveal the clip that mounts the inside to the grille
NOTE: using a pick depress the middle of the filler panel clip so as not to damage the part or grille
  • Remove Filler Panel
  • Pop the lower Grille snap mount on both sides allowing the Grille to move freely
NOTE: The Grille has more mounts do not try to remove the Grille

• Unplug the headlight
  • Remove the 2 Headlight assembly upper mounting screws (7mm)
  • Remove the 2 Headlight assembly lower mounting screws (7mm)
  • Carefully remove the headlight assembly (Use some painters tape to protect the Lens and body panels)
NOTE: be patient and with a little rotation and flexing the grille, it will allow the Headlight assembly to pass

The Passenger Side is nearly the same process with a few added steps to remove unique panels on inside of the engine compartment
NOTE: only half of the fender was loosened on this side as that is all that is needed

Replace OE assemblies with bulbs and plug in before installing completely and check all lighting functionality.

Reverse removal process and enjoy

Finished look of the assemblies installed

>> This is what I did, not necessarily the best or the right way, so follow at your own risk <<<

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey nice build!

What are your thoughts on the exhaust? do you like it? any drone?
It gives just enough feedback to know what your motor is doing without being overbearing when cruising It. is absolutely more mellow than anything but typical to MagnaFlow systems, the muffler packing takes a few cycles to set and get to the tone it will maintain. All in all it is not invasive but its the design of the Street Series which has the larger muffler than the Competition and Race variants of MagnaFlow exhausts. The Comp and Race series are not available the louder and smaller muffler of the typical Comp series provided some drone issues in both the 6 speed and 8 speed cruising.

Currently MagnaFlow is engineering an Overland Series exhaust system which will address 2 other aspects of design:

- First, is the tail pipe exit. With the popularity of the high clearance / high tuck Rock Crawler products offered for Jeep, MagnaFlow will be introducing a smaller bodied muffler to raise the muffler above the frame rail line and incorporate a turn down exit keeping the tail pipe above the factory bumper line.

- Second, due to the smaller muffler, a No Drone Technology resonator (1/4 wave or Helmholtz - not yet released) will be added to account for the smaller muffler body to make sure that when hauling gear or lugging down a trail, the exhaust experience is pleasant all the time ... all the sound you want, when you want it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the same (or very similar) aftermarket headlight assemblies! Have you noticed any issues with the low beam and high beam headlight pattern aimed all screwy?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the same (or very similar) aftermarket headlight assemblies! Have you noticed any issues with the low beam and high beam headlight pattern aimed all screwy?
Yes fighting to get DS low beam projector low enough. Might become an issue as I have run out of thread on that side's adjuster. Haven't checked high beams but still working on that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It gives just enough feedback to know what your motor is doing without being overbearing when cruising It. is absolutely more mellow than anything but typical to MagnaFlow systems, the muffler packing takes a few cycles to set and get to the tone it will maintain. All in all it is not invasive but its the design of the Street Series which has the larger muffler than the Competition and Race variants of MagnaFlow exhausts. The Comp and Race series are not available the louder and smaller muffler of the typical Comp series provided some drone issues in both the 6 speed and 8 speed cruising.

Currently MagnaFlow is engineering an Overland Series exhaust system which will address 2 other aspects of design:

- First, is the tail pipe exit. With the popularity of the high clearance / high tuck Rock Crawler products offered for Jeep, MagnaFlow will be introducing a smaller bodied muffler to raise the muffler above the frame rail line and incorporate a turn down exit keeping the tail pipe above the factory bumper line.

- Second, due to the smaller muffler, a No Drone Technology resonator (1/4 wave or Helmholtz - not yet released) will be added to account for the smaller muffler body to make sure that when hauling gear or lugging down a trail, the exhaust experience is pleasant all the time ... all the sound you want, when you want it.
Thanks for the info, I am looking on getting a little feedback when I accelerate but its a v6 so I dont want a crazy ricey sound from it haha.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes fighting to get DS low beam projector low enough. Might become an issue as I have run out of thread on that side's adjuster. Haven't checked high beams but still working on that.
Both my low beams are aimed way high and outside, while my high beams are aimed way low and inside, and there's only a single adjustment screw on the housings for adjusting up and down. I'm hoping there's a way to adjust the low beam projector from the back of the housing. 🤔

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Big bear trip today

·
Registered
211 Posts