Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2021 ZR2 CCSB Bright Blue Metallic
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Holy smoke, just googled it, and that’s a $900 battery!!!!
After tax and shipping for the size and capacity I bought it came to $1,342. I hope it will last 10 or more years and take the place of a Jackery or Goal Zero.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Your build is awesome so far! Amazing carpentry skills.

I'm a bit skeptical about the lithium starter battery though... Lithiums are very sensitive to charge voltage and our smart alternator is definitely not configured for the voltage requirements of a lithium. I have a 100ah lithium aux battery and needed to run a DC-DC charger on a specific setting for it to take a charge. So if you find that your battery won't hold a charge, it's because of improper charging voltage. Hang onto that factory battery for a bit longer before you make use of it elsewhere.

And you'll know if your lithium isn't happy because it will seem like it has nearly zero capacity. When my charger settings were wrong, I could watch the battery meter dropping percentage in real time, from just an ARB fridge, which is about 4-6amps while running. That should last 18-25 hours non stop. I got maybe 30 min before triggering the BMS cutoff.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Your build is awesome so far! Amazing carpentry skills.

I'm a bit skeptical about the lithium starter battery though... Lithiums are very sensitive to charge voltage and our smart alternator is definitely not configured for the voltage requirements of a lithium. I have a 100ah lithium aux battery and needed to run a DC-DC charger on a specific setting for it to take a charge. So if you find that your battery won't hold a charge, it's because of improper charging voltage. Hang onto that factory battery for a bit longer before you make use of it elsewhere.

And you'll know if your lithium isn't happy because it will seem like it has nearly zero capacity. When my charger settings were wrong, I could watch the battery meter dropping percentage in real time, from just an ARB fridge, which is about 4-6amps while running. That should last 18-25 hours non stop. I got maybe 30 min before triggering the BMS cutoff.
We'll see how it goes. The Antigravity car battery is supposed to have a built in battery management system to mitigate the issues you mention. Time will tell ...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
I added some safety equipment. A Gerber strap cutter/window breaker and a 2.5lb ABC fire extinguisher using a Bartact mount. Finally found a use for that slot under the center console cover. I trimmed the Gerber belt clip to fit into the slot.

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Trail Runner
618 Posts
Funny fact: I went on Amazon to look at the Bartact fire extinguisher mount. Where they have the "Frequently bought together" section, they had the Bartact mount, your fire extinguisher, and the Gerber strap cutter. Hmmnnnn . . .

Anyways, did you have to cut anything to mount the Bartact to the rear seat base? If not, how'd you mount it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Funny fact: I went on Amazon to look at the Bartact fire extinguisher mount. Where they have the "Frequently bought together" section, they had the Bartact mount, your fire extinguisher, and the Gerber strap cutter. Hmmnnnn . . .

Anyways, did you have to cut anything to mount the Bartact to the rear seat base? If not, how'd you mount it?
I cut two 1/4 inch by 1 inch slots in the plastic just under the metal bar to pass the velcro straps through. I also removed the closeout panel under the seat and cut the plastic to the corner so that the fire extinguisher mounts an inch or so closer to the door. Here is a picture of the corner trimmed out with one of the velcro slots. I also took a picture of what I removed and discarded.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I installed a RakAttach swing arm for hitch mounted bike racks. This will allow us to move the bikes out of the way when setting up camp or stopping for lunch without having to pull the bikes off the rack. It is very sturdy. It is the medium sized passenger swing arm.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
When are you heading out on an adventure?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 · (Edited)
When are you heading out on an adventure?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
We plan to do a 2 day 1 night trip soon to Anza Borrego and Julian for pie (won't be for a couple of weeks due to my wife's 2nd COVID vaccine appointment and my eye doctor appointment). This will be the shake down trip.
Later in spring we plan to do a longer trip through Monument Valley, Valley of the Gods, Goosenecks, Canyonlands Needles district, Guadalupe Mountains, and Big Bend. Everything is contingent upon what is open of course.

I should say camping adventure. So far the truck has already been on two motel/timeshare road trips to Sedona in January and Durango/Purgatory in February.

·
Registered
2019 CC V6 Bison
99 Posts
We plan to do a 2 day 1 night trip soon to Anza Borrego and Julian for pie (won't be for a couple of weeks due to my wife's 2nd COVID vaccine appointment and my eye doctor appointment). This will be the shake down trip.
Later in spring we plan to do a longer trip through Monument Valley, Valley of the Gods, Goosenecks, Canyonlands Needles district, Guadalupe Mountains, and Big Bend. Everything is contingent upon what is open of course.

I should say camping adventure. So far the truck has already been on two motel/timeshare road trips to Sedona in January and Durango/Purgatory in February.
Late Spring trip should be awesome. Lots of BLM land for camping in southern Utah. For a developed campground within Guadalupe Mountain NP, Dog Canyon is a much better choice than Pine Spring. Big Bend is our favorite Park - several nice roadside dispersed sites to choose from. The three NPS developed campgrounds are all decent with some sites being much better than others. Be sure to have a meal at the Starlight Theater in Terlingua - surprisingly good food. La Kiva is a really unique local watering hole but I've heard Covid may have shut it down. Have fun and post a TR.

·
Registered
2018 2wd 3.6L CCSB WT
255 Posts
Big Bend National Park has more camping and ogles of easy going hard pack dirt roads. We usually stay at the Cottonwoods Campground; very primitive but has water and composting toilets but no electricity. Put away your food and stuff at night as it’s frequented by Javalina’s at night. Be sure and check out the lodge and stuff at the top of the mountain; lots of good hiking trails.

Big Bend State Park borders the National Park. The SP is much bigger but it’s pretty hardcore off-roading suited more for Jeep’s and dirt bikes.

Check out Boquillas MX while your there for a good cheap meal. There’s a guy that will take you across the river in a row boat.

·
Registered
2016 Colorado WT, crew cab long bed
436 Posts
Just added that to my Amazon cart. I plan on getting a 32” wildpeak on my spare steelie so that lock would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Trail Runner
618 Posts
Just added that to my Amazon cart. I plan on getting a 32” wildpeak on my spare steelie so that lock would be nice.
I kind of blanched at the price and then thought about how much my Bison wheel and the tire cost me and promptly clicked on the Buy Now button. My wife asked why I needed it, "I don't need one, why do you?" I pointed out that her spare is INSIDE her vehicle. She had to give me that one. 🤣 🤣

81 - 100 of 115 Posts