Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Don't care for the newly designed Canyon chrome grilles. A bit busy and "too much" looking like the they just kind of hung a different grille on it. Following what they did to the Acadia refresh as well.
IMO. . . the Denali grille on Acadia was always gaudy and too much.
Reminds me of "custom" things we would do gluing different parts on plastic model trucks and cars. . . .

·
Registered
2020 Z71 CCSB
36 Posts
I think the best feature will be the new tailgates with the Chevrolet script. Might have to look into one for my 2020

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
I think the best feature will be the new tailgates with the Chevrolet script. Might have to look into one for my 2020
I wouldn't swap out my tailgate (except it does have that awful scratch right down the center of it, but that just reminds me and is my excuse why I dislike my son-in-law so much.), but I do like the idea of not having emblems that make washing a vehicle a pain. Cleanings the spaces between letters is a pain, whether it is CHEVROLET, GMC, COLORADO, CANYON, LT, SLT, etc.

Embossing is so much easier to clean and it should save costs of emblems and labor to install emblems after painting. We ought to see a price reduction for 2021! (HA-Ha, right?)

·
Registered
2020 Z71 CCSB
36 Posts
I wouldn't swap out my tailgate (except it does have that awful scratch right down the center of it, but that just reminds me and is my excuse why I dislike my son-in-law so much.), but I do like the idea of not having emblems that make washing a vehicle a pain. Cleanings the spaces between letters is a pain, whether it is CHEVROLET, GMC, COLORADO, CANYON, LT, SLT, etc.

Embossing is so much easier to clean and it should save costs of emblems and labor to install emblems after painting. We ought to see a price reduction for 2021! (HA-Ha, right?)
My dad has a LT trailboss and they all have the embossed tailgate and I think it looks very very nice.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Please stop! Don’t want to be suckered into buying my 3rd Colorado in 4 years.

Why can’t I be happy with my 2018? I’ll be watching my local dealership for the new 2021s on the lot. Sure, I’ll slow down and take a quick peek as I slowly drive by. Heck, I might even stop on a Sunday when no one is around. No way will I meander into the sales office, no way! But if I do, I will definitely not take out the check book. Especially not before a test drive.

Ahhhhhh, is the grass always greener?
Gusto!

·
Registered
14 Posts

Why can’t I be happy with my 2018? I’ll be watching my local dealership for the new 2021s on the lot. Sure, I’ll slow down and take a quick peek as I slowly drive by. Heck, I might even stop on a Sunday when no one is around. No way will I meander into the sales office, no way! But if I do, I will definitely not take out the check book. Especially not before a test drive.

Gusto!
LOL, same thing I thought. I think its boosted too. a 2.6 turbo that makes A ton of power lol.
If same motor might have to look into swapping bumpers look like essentially same front end as second gen same headlights hood fenders just diff bumper, and oh yes definitely that chevy script tailgate lol

·
Registered
444 Posts
I agree, the canyon wears its new face better than the colo wears its. canyon looks at least intentional, The Colo looks like total afterthought.
Agree..more thought in design and execution is evident with the Canyon. At least in Z71 for, they would have been better off leaving the Colorado the way it was. I prefer the bow tie vs the script on the new tailgate.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I checked the Chevrolet site but still the only pictures are of the ZR2. "Late Spring" must mean summer. GMC has been busy posting new information about the Canyon so not sure what Chevrolet gains from not advertising. The most noteworthy version I can see is the AT4. Airdam delete, skid plates, etc... .

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
LOL, same thing I thought. I think its boosted too. a 2.6 turbo that makes A ton of power lol.
If same motor might have to look into swapping bumpers look like essentially same front end as second gen same headlights hood fenders just diff bumper, and oh yes definitely that chevy script tailgate lol
It is still the second generation...in fact its exactly the same truck except for a revised front end. No new engines until the 3rd generation trucks come in a few years.

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
It is still the second generation...in fact its exactly the same truck except for a revised front end. No new engines until the 3rd generation trucks come in a few years.
Minimal cosmetic changes.

Probably the most important aspect, and it seems a lot of the manufacturers are doing this - dropping the entry level trim package. Chevy & GMC both dropped their entry level packages. From what I have read, Nissan is dropping the lowest priced options on the Frontier. Jeep, Ford, Honda and I think Toyota never offered a trim in the ~$20K range. I saw one article discussing Nissan dropping the low level trim that stated the lowest MSRP in this class of truck was the Chevy Colorado with a ~$26K price tag.

While I would not be in the market for the old entry level price point, I hate to see that eliminated as an option for those that need/want it.

Granted, I never noticed one of the entry level trucks on a lot around here.

I wonder what will be next. Will they drop the extended cab, will they drop the CCLB? Jeep and Honda only offer one configuration. Ford only has 2 configurations, and I have never seen an extended cab Ranger in the new generation. I have seen the Frontier in EC configuration a few times, but I can't remember seeing a Taco in EC configuration in a long, long time.

I know that for many, the unicorns of ECLB and CCLB are desired, but the CCSB is 80% or more of sales I believe, with 80% of the ECLB probably to non-profitable fleet sales.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I bought my 2016 Z 71 about 18 months ago low mileage for less than a new 4wd WT with an appearance package. All of the 2020s at the local dealer are WTs. So I can see why they are dumping the base model

·
Registered
14 Posts
lol they really milking this . they gotta sell all the leftovers so they just changing bumpers lol

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
lol they really milking this . they gotta sell all the leftovers so they just changing bumpers lol
GM has been milking the 2nd Gen trucks for a while. They hoped to sell 100K a year at best. I think they have beat that pretty much every year, except maybe the COVID-19 impact of this year.

It is a cash cow, they surely have recouped all of the development costs and maybe paid for a bit on some other programs.

The big issue: Even after 6 years now, most reviews still put the Twins on the top of the heap. Toyota, Ford, Jeep and Honda have released new, or at least supposedly new, designs, yet at the end of the day, no one learned enough from the GM designs to come to the arena with something to knock the Twins out of the park. Nissan is keeping their same basic truck of 15+ years with a new powertrain, Taco has done mostly cosmetic changes for the last 10-15 years, Ford brought their international truck without any real changes to meet the US market, Jeep is out there with an extremely high priced niche product, and Honda chopped up their minivan.

It's like we are watching the last game of the season, and the loser gets first pick in the next draft, so they are all fighting to maintain their mediocre in the market place.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Minimal cosmetic changes.

Probably the most important aspect, and it seems a lot of the manufacturers are doing this - dropping the entry level trim package. Chevy & GMC both dropped their entry level packages. From what I have read, Nissan is dropping the lowest priced options on the Frontier. Jeep, Ford, Honda and I think Toyota never offered a trim in the ~$20K range. I saw one article discussing Nissan dropping the low level trim that stated the lowest MSRP in this class of truck was the Chevy Colorado with a ~$26K price tag.

While I would not be in the market for the old entry level price point, I hate to see that eliminated as an option for those that need/want it.

Granted, I never noticed one of the entry level trucks on a lot around here.

I wonder what will be next. Will they drop the extended cab, will they drop the CCLB? Jeep and Honda only offer one configuration. Ford only has 2 configurations, and I have never seen an extended cab Ranger in the new generation. I have seen the Frontier in EC configuration a few times, but I can't remember seeing a Taco in EC configuration in a long, long time.

I know that for many, the unicorns of ECLB and CCLB are desired, but the CCSB is 80% or more of sales I believe, with 80% of the ECLB probably to non-profitable fleet sales.
I've seen the new Ranger with the EC configuration. The utility locating company USIC has a few that they're testing. (Next time they come out to one of my jobsites I'll see if I can snap a pic to post here)

I've even seen a few non-work ones that are EC that were driven by older drivers. But the vast majority I've seen on the road have been CC.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've seen the new Ranger with the EC configuration. The utility locating company USIC has a few that they're testing. (Next time they come out to one of my jobsites I'll see if I can snap a pic to post here)

I've even seen a few non-work ones that are EC that were driven by older drivers. But the vast majority I've seen on the road have been CC.
Yeah my wife’s grandfather owns an EC Ranger he uses as a work truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,923 Posts

Your market must be different than mine. I see a lot of Tacos and Twins. Fair number of Frontiers. I would argue the Ranger, Ridgeline and Gladiator are fighting over the last 3 slots.

·
Registered
804 Posts

Gusto!
I'm just the opposite. We looked at the Jeep Gladiator, and came very close to pulling the trigger on one until they told me "can't" on the color choice and went down the list of "ok to order" monochrome options. We walked. After the fact, as I was driving my Colorado, I decided that they did us a favor. I love my truck and really don't care to trade it in for something else. Now, with the 84 months no interest and diesels in the 1/2 tons, there's temptation, but not enough so to get me to trade in what I bought and built in 2015/2016. I love my Yellow Colly as much nearly 5 years in as I did day one.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts