Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Any word on Push Button Start?
Is turning a key too hard? I hope they don't add this (most likely won't this gen as it would require a change to the dash), just have to find another place to store the keys as sitting with them in the pocket is not comfortable. Now if I was a woman (or man I guess) with a purse I can see the benefit as the old lady keeps hers in her purse for her car (and stays in there when I drive) but my truck I prefer to turn a key.

Tyler

·
Registered
10,700 Posts
Is turning a key too hard? I hope they don't add this (most likely won't this gen as it would require a change to the dash), just have to find another place to store the keys as sitting with them in the pocket is not comfortable. Now if I was a woman (or man I guess) with a purse I can see the benefit as the old lady keeps hers in her purse for her car (and stays in there when I drive) but my truck I prefer to turn a key.

Tyler
I was probably with you on this, until we got my wife's Nissan. Her remote is half the length, half the width, and 3/4 of the thickness, with fairly rounded edges. So not so bad. I quit putting my door keys on the same ring with my vehicle keys years ago, too much trouble to keep track of since I drive two different vehicles so much. So, I always have a pile of keys in my pocket. with the much smaller remote, I can live with the push button start. It has it's advantages.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I have both and never saw what all the fuss was. If it is there fine but if not I am not losing sleep. My truck has two keys on the ring one for the truck and one for the House. My SUV has one for the house so I have one extra key.

In my case it makes little difference.

Same on Homelink. My remote for the door on my truck fits the dash slot just fine. I have Home link in the SUV and it is nice but not enough to lose sleep over.

There are things I would rather see them spend money on to improve the trucks. Things like the video rear view mirror for when the bed cover is open. Front Camera or better yet the 360 camera. Adaptive Cruise etc. These are built in and really make the driving experience much different. I expect all to be added in the next gen so most will be happy but some never will be satisfied anyways.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Owned a 2015 Canyon All Terrain for five years and driven it over 100,000 miles with nothing other than oil changes needed. Lost track of how often I've recommended it.

But until General Motors signs off on a front-wheel-arch / bumper-design that's more open and flexible these trucks will continue to lack off-road credibility.

As for light off-road and long-haul road-trip use there's probably nothing better than these trucks. They track true and straight at 85, the cab's extremely quiet, they ride and handle exceptionally well, and on anything that doesn't require extreme suspension travel, the four wheel drive system's a beast.

With only a front leveling kit, and an upgrade to 255/65R17 Goodyear DuraTrac's, my Canyon's handled everything we've been on, but these trucks would benefit from a design that allows for a more aggressive stance.

You could buy a ZR2/Bison, but why not design the whole line with the aftermarket in mind like Toyota and Ford do?

At least they've designed the air dam to be removed without making it look like you ripped it off, but the wheel arches could be slightly widened like on a Tacoma or Ranger for more utility and wheel/tire options.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I keep looking at the ZR2/Bison, but keep remembering that I lose 2,000 lbs of towing capacity with those models and I'd be shopping for a new, lighter weight travel trailer. The AT4 is a great trade off for towing and off-raod but still only offers one thing that I like and that is the electronic locking rear diff. For a fraction of the upgrade cost of the AT4, I could add an air locker or electronic locker. Like said above, I think the trucks current configuration is great. I like the G80 locker, but it's too fragile I think. Since adding the Hypertech React, I'm constantly reminding myself to go easy and not spin the tires. It's allot easier to do now than before.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I feel like this is the sweet spot for them. Great for most drivers wanting a nicely appointed daily truck with the ability to venture off-road a little on the weekend. Auto locker, level, skids and sliders is plenty for those forest service road fishing trips. Those who try, can probably fit 32s with some trimming.

All that said, I personally don't like the new grill, but I bet they've focus tested it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yep, the Canyon AT4 with optional package will be the sweet spot for those that don't quiet want to go ZR2 and keep the specs of the regular truck, while getting more off road ability.

As for the grill, I think the new Denali grill looks good. The AT4 grill (which will likely be the same as the SLE/Elevation version) is OK. I think its a bit big for this truck. There may have been some focus testing or whatever done, but the simple fact of the matter is that the grill is just like the Sierra SLT grills. GM is all about brand recognition these days, so I don't over think it...I just believe they chose that grill style simply because the Sierra has it also.

Could this all be a lead in to larger grills in the next gen that may have a turbo engine that will need more cooling?

Just some things to think about.
It is pretty normal for a MCE of a current generation to lean towards the look of the next generation, so that's possible I'd say. But in this case, I think it really just boils down to GMC wanting to make the truck look more like the Sierra.

Tyler
I am kind of hoping for push start in the next generation, but I don't really care too much. My wife's Terrain is push button, and so is my 2016 Camaro SS, and let me tell you...hearing all 455 horses roar to life when pushing that button is just as satisfying as turning a key in my opinion. If you don't normally drive a vehicle with push button start, don't knock it until you get to use it. I used to think I'd never really have a big desire for heated seats either, until I had them. lol

·
Registered
223 Posts
I considered starting a new thread for this, but I'll post it here anyways.

GM Authority has a new article stating that GMC will change up the trim levels for the Canyon.

2021 GMC Canyon Sees Major Changes To Trim Level Structure: Exclusive

In a nutshell, it says there will be a trim called Elevation Standard to take the base spot, then Elevation to take over the SLE spot, then AT4, and finally Denali. No direct SLT replacement. This seems strange to me. It would be very disappointing in my mind if that means you can only get leather in the Denali trim. But hopefully it just means there will be a package that adds leather and other things to the Elevation trim. Something to consider is that GMC does not offer leather in the Sierra Elevation (which I think is ridiculous).

Maybe they figured there is not enough separation between the SLT trim and the Denali trim, so the axed the SLT and kept the profitable Denali trim. Aside from the exterior differences, I've always thought there was very little that makes the Denali special, although I have always liked the look of the Denali. Hopefully they keep the Denali price point the same as it is currently. I'd say in the next generation, Denali will have more to separate itself from the next lower trim, and you can bet it will cost more also.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
[QUOTE.

It is pretty normal for a MCE of a current generation to lean towards the look of the next generation, so that's possible I'd say. But in this case, I think it really just boils down to GMC wanting to make the truck look more like the Sierra.

[/QUOTE]

Yes generally these changes are hints to the future.

But that future may include a 2.7 turbo engine that will require more cooling.

Not the Chevy has increased openings too.

Either way it is what it is and it will be interesting as to where this all goes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just went back and was looking around. I had found an add for the 2021 AT4 and it specified a rear electronic locker. That seems to have disappeared or been edited to the G80. As I said, the G80 is pretty reliable but I'm still a kid at heart and like to spin my tires and throw some mud. You just really have to baby a G80 as it is a low speed locker not meant to be abused. I'm a firm believer in electronic or manual lockers. Been using them on ATV's for years and from a trail management and sure footedness, they make a world of difference in the right scenario and recovery situations. I'm betting you won't be able to order one either.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #70

GM Authority has a new article stating that GMC will change up the trim levels for the Canyon.

2021 GMC Canyon Sees Major Changes To Trim Level Structure: Exclusive

In a nutshell, it says there will be a trim called Elevation Standard to take the base spot, then Elevation to take over the SLE spot, then AT4, and finally Denali. No direct SLT replacement. This seems strange to me. It would be very disappointing in my mind if that means you can only get leather in the Denali trim. But hopefully it just means there will be a package that adds leather and other things to the Elevation trim. Something to consider is that GMC does not offer leather in the Sierra Elevation (which I think is ridiculous).

Maybe they figured there is not enough separation between the SLT trim and the Denali trim, so the axed the SLT and kept the profitable Denali trim. Aside from the exterior differences, I've always thought there was very little that makes the Denali special, although I have always liked the look of the Denali. Hopefully they keep the Denali price point the same as it is currently. I'd say in the next generation, Denali will have more to separate itself from the next lower trim, and you can bet it will cost more also.
like you stated the styling shadows the future the new name and future packaging will better fit the coming models.

Also GMC is moving to the same packaging and it all may match up in time.

The packages will be a balance of value to draw attention but also profits As I expect prices will continue to rise.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts

Maybe they figured there is not enough separation between the SLT trim and the Denali trim, so the axed the SLT and kept the profitable Denali trim. Aside from the exterior differences, I've always thought there was very little that makes the Denali special . . . .
Agree. . . mainly some creature comforts, suspension/ride characteristics and a little design/trim piece elements in denali.
The thing that is problematic when changing trim level and "labels" is it clouds and confuses the marketing from one year to another. This can and usually does affect resale value because even dealers do not always keep track of what was lost or what was gained. Sometimes for the good, but often in a negative way.
Chevy has done this a lot over the years. Some years in Colorado going back in years there might have been 6 trim levels or more. Plus packages.
For GMC across the product range they seem to have dropped SLT to one trim level rather than SLT-1 and SLT-2. Along with that, I've noticed that some options were lost and some others added and others were grouped into pricey packages which makes a customer buy more than what they may have wanted.
At any rate . . customers are not always appreciative of trim level or "label/name" changes when trying to decide what to buy.

·
Registered
10,700 Posts
Figured this was as good a place to place this as any.

·
Registered
223 Posts
To touch base on what I mentioned above about trims being dropped, and the "Elevation" replacing the SLE, I had concerns about whether or not we could get "SLT" like features without going to Denali. Well, the good news is that there will be a new package called "High Elevation" that can be added which adds the leather heated seats, heated steering wheel, and power driver lumbar seat adjuster. So basically, you can simply add in everything the SLT had (or not if you don't want) without needing to step up to Denali.

For anyone interested, the entire ordering guide, including any new packages can be found on this site: GM Online Order / Reference Guide

Just pick the 2021 year, the brand image, then select model, and print entire book.

·
Registered
10,700 Posts
To touch base on what I mentioned above about trims being dropped, and the "Elevation" replacing the SLE, I had concerns about whether or not we could get "SLT" like features without going to Denali. Well, the good news is that there will be a new package called "High Elevation" that can be added which adds the leather heated seats, heated steering wheel, and power driver lumbar seat adjuster. So basically, you can simply add in everything the SLT had (or not if you don't want) without needing to step up to Denali.

For anyone interested, the entire ordering guide, including any new packages can be found on this site: GM Online Order / Reference Guide

Just pick the 2021 year, the brand image, then select model, and print entire book.
Great, they must have added the 2021 model year pretty recently. Seems a bit earlier than normal. It looks like for 2019 and 2020, they probably added those model years in the May timeframe.

I wonder if the 2021 Models will hit the dealers a little earlier this year to try to get a new face on the Twins since they have seen a little drop in sales and are in need of a refresh?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Any more recent news on the 2021 trucks? The latest I have read is that the 2021 Colorado has dropped the base model, and the WT is now the entry level truck starting at $26,000. I thought the 2021's went into production in April, but that won't be happening with all auto plants shut down.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can't edit my post above, but ran across this. I found the picture here: 2021 Chevy Colorado. There are six colors that can be selected, crush, satin steel metallic, summit white, black, bright blue metallic, and cherry red tintcoat. The images for the six colors are not full-size. The front bumper looks a bit busy. What do you think? I was initially reading this article SVE Chevy Colorado Xtreme.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
With few subtle upgrades, I love my Canyon AT. Very good ground clearance (vs stock), decent gas mileage and the truck looks, drives and feels like one. I did run Falken WP 33s for a week, which fits fine with my lift kit but it rubs at full wheel lock and I didn't wanna do any waffle trimming, which America's Tire recommended (which should totally remediate the rub). So i downgraded to 32s and happy camper.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I can't edit my post above, but ran across this. I found the picture here: 2021 Chevy Colorado. There are six colors that can be selected, crush, satin steel metallic, summit white, black, bright blue metallic, and cherry red tintcoat. The images for the six colors are not full-size. The front bumper looks a bit busy. What do you think? I was initially reading this article SVE Chevy Colorado Xtreme.
That’s made my decision very easy. I’ll definitely be keeping my truck when my lease is up. The canyon is ok, but a hell no to that!

61 - 80 of 81 Posts