Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

2021 Colorado / Canyon Info?

9K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  FcFrag 
#1 ·
I want to buy a Colorado or Canyon but will not until GM fixes the transmission issue(s) and upgrades the interior, especially the hard seats. I could live with the plastic but wouldn't be happy with it for the money. The Colorado also needs a tan or gray interior option -- no black interior for me in the mid-atlantic summer. None of those changes are happening for this truck in 2020, so I have to wait at least until 2021. If Ram comes out with a midsize I'd consider that.

What do people know (confirmed) about the 2021 Colorado/Canyon models?

#2 ·
Thats to far away I'm sure the only thing you will hear is speculation and wishful thinking. You will never find everything exactly the way you want it on a new vehicle. Thats why they have whats called packages. They throw in things some may not want or illuminate things you do want. So bottom line if your going to wait thinking maybe just maybe they will come out with exactly what you want its more than likely never going to happen.

#5 ·
I want to buy a Colorado or Canyon but will not until GM fixes the transmission issue(s) and upgrades the interior, especially the hard seats. I could live with the plastic but wouldn't be happy with it for the money. The Colorado also needs a tan or gray interior option -- no black interior for me in the mid-atlantic summer. None of those changes are happening for this truck in 2020, so I have to wait at least until 2021. If Ram comes out with a midsize I'd consider that.

What do people know (confirmed) about the 2021 Colorado/Canyon models?
I assume you've already considered Tacoma and Ranger?

I'm with you on the transmission issues, but you could go with the diesel and get the 6-speed.

The other trim issues are solvable if you really want the truck. Replacement seats/seat foam. Tinted windows to reduce heat in a black interior, etc. Waiting until 2021 to *maybe* get those things doesn't make sense.

Also, GM has a tendency to put certain features on only the full size trucks. Sunroof, power sliding rear window, Homelink controls, "nice" leather. They want you to think the big trucks are "nicer" and upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#6 ·
72malibu, what are you driving now?

I hope they do not change the seats, I do not want a cushiony mushy seat. Kind of like people who buy furniture who wants comfy cushions, 6 months later those cushions are like mush and you fall down into them, your back hurts, hard to get out of an cause of that the material is wearing out quickly...

Mid-Atlantic, that is funny, a lot hotter in other places and people have no issues.

we did stop to look at the new Blazer this morning on way home from the gym, 3.6 v6 with a 9-speed?

#7 ·
My cars are a 72 Malibu with black interior -- the only car I will ever want to have with black interior -- and an '09 Subaru with tan interior. I'm allowed to have dark tint on the Malibu b/c it's an antique. The seats in the Subaru aren't great but they are miles better than the Colorado/Canyon. I drive 9 hrs to New England several times a year. The widely experienced transmission problems in the Subaru seem comparable to the Colorado/Canyon, and I'm not buying that problem again. I keep cars for the long haul, so I try to do my research. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, having just replaced the exhaust and struts on the Subaru, but I'm not going to buy a new car off a lot to spend more money on different seats/seat foam or a diesel engine/transmission that works but that I don't actually need. I'm not interested in a turbo motor (so no Ranger) and my uncle has a new Tacoma and I don't like it. I'm sure GM will eventually put a proper transmission and seats in this truck, it's just a question of when. Or maybe Ram will. I'll keep the Subaru going until then, rather than spend a lot of dollars on a truck I'm not happy with.

#8 ·
I'm sure GM will eventually put a proper transmission and seats in this truck, it's just a question of when.
It's nice to find someone with hope and kind thoughts.

However, GM has been putting a version of this troublesome 8 speed transmission in vehicles since 2015, it has had 13 TSBs and in addition to trucks it can be found in Camaro, Corvette and Cadillac. So history doesn't really support your assertion that GM will eventually put a proper transmission in these trucks.

As for seat comfort, well, that's subjective and I know I haven't seen any evidence that GM plans to change them any time soon.

I imagine IF GM ever puts a proper transmission in these trucks, sales will soar and there will be a surplus of used Colorados and Canyons as current owners move on to the new trucks/transmissions.

I have owned a few trucks (11, I think) and this is my favorite but I don't like much of anything about the transmission.

I hope your right and GM does the right thing eventually. I think with Ford missing the mark on the Ranger, Toyota Fanboys fading, Nissan's age, Ram not having a Mid-sized truck, and Jeep pricing, GM is feeling little pressure to change.

Just some thoughts.

#11 · (Edited)
Made a 35 hour round trip to NH recently with my '17 Denali. Seats were perfectly comfortable for me. The ONLY thing I wish were different about the seats they have now added on the '19s: power tilt for seat bottom. If they were softer they would be ruined once they're broken in. Despite the naysayers here, my transmission is great with the V6, even though I did develop a minor shudder that was completely fixed so far by the newest TSB (none of the previous had long term results). Not a bit worried since I knew about the potential problem and bought an extended warranty. I typically put 200-300k miles on my vehicles, so I'll have to wait and see how far this will go. For the '21s GM MIGHT use 10 speed transmissions, but there is no indication yet, and there probably won't be until around this time next year. If they're still using the 8 speed, one can only hope that they have any issues sorted in 2 more years. By then I will have enjoyed my truck several years and will decide whether or not to to stick or trade. The only other option is going full size if you have room.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali V6 CCSB 4X4

#12 ·
As of now nothing to report even speculative.

Watch the automotive web sites and watch for Mules in August doing hot weather testing may be a first hint anything major is coming.

As of now the media has hints 22-23 as a change for a new platform on this truck. Odds are good 21 changes may be limited. No refresh looks to be coming in any major way.

A drive line change could surprise us as it can be done under the present trucks and not be noticed in testing. Also GM seldom does new platforms and drive lines in the same year unless it is a new model.

As for the 8 speed not all of them are trouble. More have not had issue than have. The latest recall has solved many of those who had issues problems. There still is the cloud of doubt.

As for Ram not sure that would be any better with the quality issues. As of yet there is little on a real move there. They appeared to go in for the Jeep and put off the small truck plans that continue to change.

Just will have to keep watching till there is more to go on.

#13 ·
As of now nothing to report even speculative.

As for the 8 speed not all of them are trouble. More have not had issue than have. The latest recall has solved many of those who had issues problems. There still is the cloud of doubt. .

I mentioned above that the 2019/2020 Blazer has the 3.6 V6 and 9 speed, is this a tottaly different transmission?

#16 ·
It seems like the more gears that GM adds to their transmissions, the more problems that arise. Now they are talking about a 10 speed. Need to just simplify things and go back to the 2 speed GM Powerglide, and stop all the problems.

Reactions: Toughsox and 153537
#17 ·
I just purchased a 2019 Colorado Z71 V6. I love the truck very much, (except) for the height. Had to put on running boards to get in and out of it. Why is so high?

It replaced a 2000 Dakota 360 V8 that appears to be about the same size but much lower. Should I mention the Dakota has gooseneck hitch and air bags.

May I place lower on the wish list?

#19 ·
I'm with you on the black interior. That's a big part of what pushed me to the Canyon.

As for the seats, definitely subjective as already mentioned, but for what it's worth, I think the driver's seat in my Canyon SLT is as comfortable as any vehicle I've ever owned. My '02 Intrigue is my personal standard that all seats are compared to, and this is right there if not better. Certainly light years more comfortable than the last 2 Hondas my wife and I have owned (08 Odyssey and 09 TSX) and better than my previous 2 GMs, '05 Envoy and '14 Cruze.

Finally, the transmission issues are well documented and certainly real, but they don't happen to all of them. My 8-speed has been fine so far (knock on wood) and I actually like the way it shifts after being quite skeptical and hesitant prior to purchase. Many vehicles have transmission horror stories. I was terrified of the transmission on my wife's '08 Odyssey based on the forum. We've had it 8 years and put ~164k on it with no issues whatsoever. (purchased in 2011 with ~50k, has 214k now).

#21 ·
Nope. I think it's just right for the V6 and matches the power band well. Problems are always exaggerated on forums, but it's true they are doing a lot of flushes with the most recent TSB (18-NA-355). Worked great on mine!

2017 GMC Canyon Denali V6 CCSB 4X4

#22 ·
It all depends what you have today and how much you want or have to change vehicle ... but waiting for something that is uncertain is a recipe for guaranteed disappointement.

If stiff seats, a dark/hot interior and potential for transmission issues and the tought of soon not driving the latest and greatest is too much, then perhaps the Colorado isn't the right vehicle.

#24 ·
Lots of stuff in this thread lol....where to begin??

So about the 2021 models. No...there is nothing out there. In fact, if the predictions are true about a new generation coming in the 2022 or 2023 model yeah, then I suspect we may not get a refreshed 2nd generation truck at all which is a bummer. That said...it is still completely possible. It is normal now for GM to refresh a model just a few years out from the new generation, so if 2023 will be the new generation then 2021 could be a refresh. There have been zero sightings of a new generation (save for one TFL page months ago that seems to spot a global Colorado testing here in the U.S. Maybe that was some kind of mule?). If mules are sighted, that indicates a good 2 - 4 years out from reveal, whereas if a camo'd vehicle is spotted then usually 1 to 2 years out from reveal. A camo'd refresh on the other hand is quicker, usually resulting in the next model year being the refreshed look.

As for interior options. Yeah I'm kind of in that boat also. I'd like to see a two toned option outside of the ZL1 model, which I happen to think the two toned seats look nice. Otherwise, you get all black, or you get all grey (or tan in the Canyon). I will give props to the ZL1 and All Terrain for their two toned seats, but that's it. The rest are kind of bland. I kind of expect GM to up the ante in the next generation. The Denali trim will be even more upscale (read...more expensive...no doubt) but I think Chevy may also offer a High Country trim on the Colorado. In the end, this is kind of nit picking.

I don't like the seats much in my 2015 with gray leather, but I've driven newer models with the slight seat revisions and liked them better. Not in love with them, but better.

The transmission issues. I have yet to read of someone going back with issues after the very latest TSB or a 2019 model that was produced after Jan 2019. I'm not saying I'm convinced the new fluid fixed the shudder, but it is looking a bit more promising. Yes not everyone has issues with the 8 speed I'm sure, but there is no denying that it is a huge issue and affects a HUGE number of people. I know 3 people with 2017 or 18 models (mine is a 2015) and each of them had had issues or had their TC replaced. Also, just a little research shows this is an issue for the entire line of trucks/cars that have used the 8 speed. So no...not every single person has had issues I'm sure, but the problem is undeniable and just sad really. I pray that the late 2019 and now 2020 trucks with the new fluid are better....which brings me to...

...the 10 speed. I think GM is slowing building up enough production of this unit so that they can use it everywhere. This year they expanded the 10 speed further across their full size lineup, and are also including it in certain cars with the V6. We had hoped the same would happen with the midsize twins, but nope. I still think there is a good chance we could see the 10 speed before the next generation in these trucks. I see some comments here thinking that more speeds will result in the same issues, but I think that is not the case. The 8 speed transmission itself is pretty good...the issue lies with the torque converter and the tuning based on the large amount of things I've read. I have not read of this issue with the 10 speed.

I think GM knows their mid-size trucks are still easily competitive with all of the other offerings....except for perhaps getting a bit stale in the looks department (FYI, I don't think the Ranger looks any better, but at least its new lol). They may just decide there is no reason, or maybe not enough profit right now in the segment to warrant a refresh.

#25 ·
I don't follow transmission development closely, but isn't the 10 speed design from a traditional in-line engine/transmission versus the 9 speed for the sideways engine/transaxle?

Can you fit a 10 speed in sideways in a car?

I guess the 10 speed could go in a Vette or Camaro.

What I want is a CVT that can handle the torque of a truck. Then we will be talking, infinite gears!

(What the heck, if you are gonna dream, dream big.)

#27 ·
I'm a little confused as I just got my 2019 Colorado LT and it has a grey interior. There was an option between two interior choices. It is an extended cab not the crew cab so maybe that makes a difference. Called Jet black/dark ash. Light enough to be concerned about showing stains. The same combo was available in leather.
Maybe it's different here in Canada

Attachments

#31 ·
Doubt its different, prob just peoples wording when they describe. Same on mine, largely black interior with the grey hex pattern fabric inserts. They hold dust and sand and crumbs like crazy, annoying, but weather tech seat covers eliminated that issue and kept everything ive spilled off the seat? got em in grey and it brightens it up in there a good bit, like you can find something if you drop it, not just a black hole in daytime.

Reactions: GraniteBlue05
#30 ·
The only thing i know for sure about the 2021 is that it will slot in between the 2020 and 2022.

Far too early to see what will happen, they wait and watch the competition and sales both. Theymay change strategies all of a sudden if a new development happens with the competition, theyll respond to the gladiators success or lack of, however it turns out, etc.

I live where its very hot and my interior is not a problem. Have had black interior on 2 of my 3 vehicles over the last 15 years without issue. Tan gets just as hot as black.

Used to feel gipped about only getting the 6AT with the diesel, but now it seems there are enough issues with the other ATs that im relieved. Certainly hasnt given me issues, but its a bit harsh and crude.

With all the new e truck and hybrid news around, id bet they have cold feet about pulling any sort of trigger since the market could change drastically at any time. Who knows who will pluck the next marketing fruit...electric? Hybrid? Diesel? Petrol still reigning supreme? Who knows.

#33 ·
Ill be damned, didnt know you could get the grey

#34 · (Edited)
Yes, I am amazed that many dealers will order the Luxury Pkg and Convenience Pkg, but still go the basic black with the seats. When those two packages are ordered you can then get the Dark Ashen Grey seats, dash accent and door panel accents.
And the seats can be either cloth or leather. ::chevy::

Attachments

#38 ·
The interesting thing is also has a line item for a GMC Jimmy SUV, as opposed to CUV in 2023.

#39 ·
I guess I am an exception bot have had a 15 Canyon SLT and a 17 Denali (just ordered a 2020 Denali today) without need to take either one to the shop for a repair. The 15 had a six speed while the 17 has a eight speed, both transmissions were smooth and rarely did I even feel the shifts. I talked with one of the GMC mechanics and he indicated a few vehicles have had problems but when compared to the total sold it is a very small percentage. That’s ok unless you are among the “ small percentage”.
As I understand the 2020 will not have the things that should come with a Denali, Power slider, homelink, sunroof, etc.

#40 ·
As others have mentioned we likely won’t know what is in store for the ‘21 model year until 11 months from now. May of ‘20 is my best guess. I wouldn’t expect much as I think we have missed the year/time for an MCE. They likely will be focusing on the next midsizers set for ‘22 or so.

I suggest you pick up a 2019 and enjoy it both are awesome trucks. If tan is your thing might I suggest a Canyon?

#45 ·
The last 4 vehicles I have owned/driven significantly:

2009 Wrangler
2011 Camaro
2015 Canyon
2017 Rogue

I hated the Camaro, was not designed for an old, overweight male.

The Wrangler actually had some of the most comfortable seats I have had in a long time.

The Rogue feel fairly comfortable, but after 7 - 8 hours in saddle last weekend, I ached more than usual.

The Canyon is okay. Better than Camaro, on par with Rogue, not quite as good as the Wrangler.

What does this tell me? Every butt is different, and not every vehicle seat will fit every butt. (wonder if that would fit on my tombstone? Almost as good as a Yogi Berra quote, right?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.