Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a Colorado or Canyon but will not until GM fixes the transmission issue(s) and upgrades the interior, especially the hard seats. I could live with the plastic but wouldn't be happy with it for the money. The Colorado also needs a tan or gray interior option -- no black interior for me in the mid-atlantic summer. None of those changes are happening for this truck in 2020, so I have to wait at least until 2021. If Ram comes out with a midsize I'd consider that.

What do people know (confirmed) about the 2021 Colorado/Canyon models?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thats to far away I'm sure the only thing you will hear is speculation and wishful thinking. You will never find everything exactly the way you want it on a new vehicle. Thats why they have whats called packages. They throw in things some may not want or illuminate things you do want. So bottom line if your going to wait thinking maybe just maybe they will come out with exactly what you want its more than likely never going to happen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats to far away I'm sure the only thing you will hear is speculation and wishful thinking. You will never find everything exactly the way you want it on a new vehicle. Thats why they have whats called packages. They throw in things some may not want or illuminate things you do want. So bottom line if your going to wait thinking maybe just maybe they will come out with exactly what you want its more than likely never going to happen.
Man, you must not expect very much out of your 30-40k. It's not too much to ask for a properly functioning transmission and comfortable seats. It's been done before, many times. And the Canyon already has a tan interior option - why not the Colorado?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I want to buy a Colorado or Canyon but will not until GM fixes the transmission issue(s) and upgrades the interior, especially the hard seats. I could live with the plastic but wouldn't be happy with it for the money. The Colorado also needs a tan or gray interior option -- no black interior for me in the mid-atlantic summer. None of those changes are happening for this truck in 2020, so I have to wait at least until 2021. If Ram comes out with a midsize I'd consider that.

seems like I just finally saw confirmation of the changes on the 2020 so I'm guessing you'll probably hear for sure about he 2021 changes around late May of 2020.

·
Registered
392 Posts

I assume you've already considered Tacoma and Ranger?

I'm with you on the transmission issues, but you could go with the diesel and get the 6-speed.

The other trim issues are solvable if you really want the truck. Replacement seats/seat foam. Tinted windows to reduce heat in a black interior, etc. Waiting until 2021 to *maybe* get those things doesn't make sense.

Also, GM has a tendency to put certain features on only the full size trucks. Sunroof, power sliding rear window, Homelink controls, "nice" leather. They want you to think the big trucks are "nicer" and upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
72malibu, what are you driving now?

I hope they do not change the seats, I do not want a cushiony mushy seat. Kind of like people who buy furniture who wants comfy cushions, 6 months later those cushions are like mush and you fall down into them, your back hurts, hard to get out of an cause of that the material is wearing out quickly...

Mid-Atlantic, that is funny, a lot hotter in other places and people have no issues.

we did stop to look at the new Blazer this morning on way home from the gym, 3.6 v6 with a 9-speed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My cars are a 72 Malibu with black interior -- the only car I will ever want to have with black interior -- and an '09 Subaru with tan interior. I'm allowed to have dark tint on the Malibu b/c it's an antique. The seats in the Subaru aren't great but they are miles better than the Colorado/Canyon. I drive 9 hrs to New England several times a year. The widely experienced transmission problems in the Subaru seem comparable to the Colorado/Canyon, and I'm not buying that problem again. I keep cars for the long haul, so I try to do my research. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, having just replaced the exhaust and struts on the Subaru, but I'm not going to buy a new car off a lot to spend more money on different seats/seat foam or a diesel engine/transmission that works but that I don't actually need. I'm not interested in a turbo motor (so no Ranger) and my uncle has a new Tacoma and I don't like it. I'm sure GM will eventually put a proper transmission and seats in this truck, it's just a question of when. Or maybe Ram will. I'll keep the Subaru going until then, rather than spend a lot of dollars on a truck I'm not happy with.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm sure GM will eventually put a proper transmission and seats in this truck, it's just a question of when.
It's nice to find someone with hope and kind thoughts.

However, GM has been putting a version of this troublesome 8 speed transmission in vehicles since 2015, it has had 13 TSBs and in addition to trucks it can be found in Camaro, Corvette and Cadillac. So history doesn't really support your assertion that GM will eventually put a proper transmission in these trucks.

As for seat comfort, well, that's subjective and I know I haven't seen any evidence that GM plans to change them any time soon.

I imagine IF GM ever puts a proper transmission in these trucks, sales will soar and there will be a surplus of used Colorados and Canyons as current owners move on to the new trucks/transmissions.

I have owned a few trucks (11, I think) and this is my favorite but I don't like much of anything about the transmission.

I hope your right and GM does the right thing eventually. I think with Ford missing the mark on the Ranger, Toyota Fanboys fading, Nissan's age, Ram not having a Mid-sized truck, and Jeep pricing, GM is feeling little pressure to change.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
10,008 Posts

I hope your right and GM does the right thing eventually. I think with Ford missing the mark on the Ranger, Toyota Fanboys fading, Nissan's age, Ram not having a Mid-sized truck, and Jeep pricing, GM is feeling little pressure to change.

This is the real issue.

We complain about things on our trucks, but then go look for a better option, and find none.

Everyone points to the Taco, and the sales volume, and oh it is so great a truck, it must be. But then various reviewers don't even include it in their reviews because it is so antiquated. Don't even think about the Frontier.

The Ranger returns to a clamor of excitement, and then the reviews I read don't think too highly of it.

They talk about the Jeep Gladiator with oohs & aahs, but most of the reviews I have seen still rate the Twins over the Gladiator, and as far as I can see, this is without even considering the high costs of the Gladiator.

At the end of the day, the design of the Twins from 2015 still seem to get higher marks than the latest and greatest brought to the market.

I am disappointed, but less at GM and more at Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Ford, Jeep, and anyone else (Ram, Mercedes, etc.) who would have you think they play in this market for mid-size trucks for doing such a poor job of competing for our business. If I was a stockholder at GM, I would get upset if they poured money into a market where they already have the top dog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope your right and GM does the right thing eventually. I think with Ford missing the mark on the Ranger, Toyota Fanboys fading, Nissan's age, Ram not having a Mid-sized truck, and Jeep pricing, GM is feeling little pressure to change. Just some thoughts.
LOL, I am probably too optimistic, especially with GM feeling little pressure as you said, but I am hoping that the next iteration of this truck will have a functioning transmission. Probably far too much to ask in terms of putting the 10 speed in it. They did go from 4 to 6 way seats, I believe, so I still hold out hope for a more comfortable seat, which shouldn't be a heavy lift. I totally agree that comfort is subjective, but there's something to be said when a lot of people on this board complain about the seats. I added Flo-Fit leather buckets to my Malibu. I don't expect to find that level of comfort in a truck. I just don't want to hurt. My wife and I sat it a Colorado at the dealership and we both said, "no way." My dad's 1975 GMC Gentleman Jim with factory buckets beats the pants off it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Made a 35 hour round trip to NH recently with my '17 Denali. Seats were perfectly comfortable for me. The ONLY thing I wish were different about the seats they have now added on the '19s: power tilt for seat bottom. If they were softer they would be ruined once they're broken in. Despite the naysayers here, my transmission is great with the V6, even though I did develop a minor shudder that was completely fixed so far by the newest TSB (none of the previous had long term results). Not a bit worried since I knew about the potential problem and bought an extended warranty. I typically put 200-300k miles on my vehicles, so I'll have to wait and see how far this will go. For the '21s GM MIGHT use 10 speed transmissions, but there is no indication yet, and there probably won't be until around this time next year. If they're still using the 8 speed, one can only hope that they have any issues sorted in 2 more years. By then I will have enjoyed my truck several years and will decide whether or not to to stick or trade. The only other option is going full size if you have room.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali V6 CCSB 4X4

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
As of now nothing to report even speculative.

Watch the automotive web sites and watch for Mules in August doing hot weather testing may be a first hint anything major is coming.

As of now the media has hints 22-23 as a change for a new platform on this truck. Odds are good 21 changes may be limited. No refresh looks to be coming in any major way.

A drive line change could surprise us as it can be done under the present trucks and not be noticed in testing. Also GM seldom does new platforms and drive lines in the same year unless it is a new model.

As for the 8 speed not all of them are trouble. More have not had issue than have. The latest recall has solved many of those who had issues problems. There still is the cloud of doubt.

As for Ram not sure that would be any better with the quality issues. As of yet there is little on a real move there. They appeared to go in for the Jeep and put off the small truck plans that continue to change.

Just will have to keep watching till there is more to go on.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
As of now nothing to report even speculative.

As for the 8 speed not all of them are trouble. More have not had issue than have. The latest recall has solved many of those who had issues problems. There still is the cloud of doubt. .

I mentioned above that the 2019/2020 Blazer has the 3.6 V6 and 9 speed, is this a tottaly different transmission?

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I mentioned above that the 2019/2020 Blazer has the 3.6 V6 and 9 speed, is this a tottaly different transmission?
It is the new transaxle GM and Ford jointly made for the FWD AWD applications. It is not suited for RWD or 4x4 applications.

Odds are good the 10 speed will move in as that will be the go to transmission for all the RWD and 4x4 applications in the future. Odds the 8 speed will slowly be moved up entry level applications and then phased out in the future.

The Blazer platform is interesting as they can make like in my Acadia make the vehicle FWD in standard drive. 4x4 in off road mode and 40% front 60% rear drive in sport mode. In FWD it actually totally disconnects the drive line yo the rear for added mpg. But this is all used this a transaxle and not with a conventional RWD transmission.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Man, you must not expect very much out of your 30-40k. It's not too much to ask for a properly functioning transmission and comfortable seats. It's been done before, many times. And the Canyon already has a tan interior option - why not the Colorado?

Canyon is marketed more upscale than the Colorado. Or, if you want to have a more al-a-carte experience, you have your option of the Gladiator - which is probably as close as RAM is gonna get to a midsize truck. Get ready to pay a price though. The one I spec'd for myself was a bit over $58k, and that included keeping the manual transmission - something that I think the Colorado is missing from the V6.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
It seems like the more gears that GM adds to their transmissions, the more problems that arise. Now they are talking about a 10 speed. Need to just simplify things and go back to the 2 speed GM Powerglide, and stop all the problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just purchased a 2019 Colorado Z71 V6. I love the truck very much, (except) for the height. Had to put on running boards to get in and out of it. Why is so high?

It replaced a 2000 Dakota 360 V8 that appears to be about the same size but much lower. Should I mention the Dakota has gooseneck hitch and air bags.

May I place lower on the wish list?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm with you on the black interior. That's a big part of what pushed me to the Canyon.

As for the seats, definitely subjective as already mentioned, but for what it's worth, I think the driver's seat in my Canyon SLT is as comfortable as any vehicle I've ever owned. My '02 Intrigue is my personal standard that all seats are compared to, and this is right there if not better. Certainly light years more comfortable than the last 2 Hondas my wife and I have owned (08 Odyssey and 09 TSX) and better than my previous 2 GMs, '05 Envoy and '14 Cruze.

Finally, the transmission issues are well documented and certainly real, but they don't happen to all of them. My 8-speed has been fine so far (knock on wood) and I actually like the way it shifts after being quite skeptical and hesitant prior to purchase. Many vehicles have transmission horror stories. I was terrified of the transmission on my wife's '08 Odyssey based on the forum. We've had it 8 years and put ~164k on it with no issues whatsoever. (purchased in 2011 with ~50k, has 214k now).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
26 Participants
FcFrag
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing