Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the 2020 Chevy Colorados. In 2018 I purchased a new Chevy Colorado crew cab long bed Z71, I guess I was one of the Unlucky ones that had problems with the transmission. They ended up having to replace torque converter change fluids reflash computer and who knows what else they tried to do it was in the shop six times within the first year. To make a long story short I got fed up with it traded it in on a Toyota Tacoma TRD sport crew cab long bed not as happy with the truck as I thought I'd be. I loved everything about the Colorado except for the transmission problems I was having. Thinking about going back to the 2020 Colorado if they have fixed their transmission problems. Can anyone give me some insight if they have resolved the issues they were having
Thanks

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
It’s the same 8 speed transmission that you had before, unless you choose to go 4 cylinder or Diesel engine. It’s up to you whether you want to take a chance again.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The vast majority of transmission shudder issues were fixed by TSB 18-NA-355 that came out January 2019, and updated later in July 2019 negating the need for diagnostics (only customer complaint necessary). Anything done to your old Colorado previous to that TSB was not a permanent fix, and the longer the issue existed the more likely the TC would have been too worn/glazed and would have needed to be replaced along with the flush of the new fluid. GM started using the new transmission fluid in all trucks built as of March 2019, since which time very few shudder issues have been reported. Some still have reported hard 1-2 and 2-1 shifts (especially when cold) but that's a bit different issue and less widespread. If you loved your previous truck other than the shudder, you can absolutely feel confident getting a new one. I would buy a new one in a heartbeat if I were shopping today. My 2017 had the TSB mentioned above over a year ago plus 5k+ miles and has been rock solid and smooth ever since.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali V6 4x4

·
Registered
551 Posts
Again, the 8 speed is a very good transmission. It all came down to the trans fluid GM was using,
which has been corrected as OperaDude mentioned in his post. Since GM performed the latest bulletin on my truck, the shudder is completely gone. Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP transmission fluid was the replacement fluid, so they got it right with my truck the first time.
I am very happy with the way the transmission performs in all conditions.
You should have all the confidence in purchasing a new 2020.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I put a lot of miles on my 2016; diesel, 6 speed. I did change the trans fluid a couple times, just as routine maintenance. I never had the shudder issue, and it always seemed to shift just fine.

I have <200 miles on my 2020; also diesel, 6 speed. Much smoother than the '16. During light throttle acceleration, you can barely feel the shifts; it almost feels like a CVT. During the test drive, I tried to create the shudder issue, but couldn't.

·
Registered
2015 Colorado Crew V6 2x4
284 Posts
The 8 speed (the torque converter) was a huge issue.

But since they made the change part way through the 2019 year and now 2020 I've not read of any complaints. Yeah, it is the same transmission, but it seems to be running much better now. I've been contemplating changing to a newer model from my 2015 so I too had the same worries, but now I'd feel confident getting into a new model. Good luck with whatever you do!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had the shudder problems with my 2017 Canyon. Had the first fluid change, then a new TC. Luckily for me when the shudder returned a third time they had just come out with the new Mobil 1 tranny fluid and I got it changed out immediately, before the TC could get glazed. That was over a year and 20,000 miles ago. No hint of shudder since. That is the only problem I have had in over 50,000 miles. Love the truck. Trade the Yota and get what you want.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 2018 Canyon. Bought new July 2018, manufactured December 2017. I didn't detect any shudder until about 30k. I had the transmission fluid changed. Dealer was fantastic and gave me no static. They told me if it didn't fix it let them know. So far, its fixed! I like the truck. I would buy it again. It will be interesting to see how the 10 speed with turbo 4 cylinder works out with reviews and reliability.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this thread is for 2020's but heres my situation...I purchased a used 2017 on Saturday, didnt notice the shudder in the test drive but noticed it immediately after taking it on the highway after I bought it. The reason im asking in this thread is because I have 7 days for a full refund so my question is how confident should a be that a flush and whatever else they decided to do to it (as it is in the shop right now) will work (and not return) or should I just take the refund and spend alittle more and get the 2020 cuz from what i am gathering this issue is taken care of in the 2020 models.

Thanks, any advise helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2020 Canyon Denali (11/19 build date) with around 1,500 miles on it. No issues with shudder but the 1-2 /2-1 shifts are rather clunky. Going to the dealer tomorrow to have it checked out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Update after dealer visit for harsh downshifting problem. Tech notes form Service Order below:

“Test drove vehicle and felt harsh 3-1 down shift when coming to s atop. Scanned vehicle for codes and found no stored codes. Checked for tcm software updates and found tcm up to date. Performed trans service fast learn and test drove vehicle again. Harsh shift still felt the same. Learned c-1 clutch as outlined in bulletin #16-na -019. After learning clutch while driving checked for harsh down shift. No longer feel harsh Down shift from 3-1.”

I will say it is 100% improved and now shifts as smooth as silk.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know this thread is for 2020's but heres my situation...I purchased a used 2017 on Saturday, didnt notice the shudder in the test drive but noticed it immediately after taking it on the highway after I bought it. The reason im asking in this thread is because I have 7 days for a full refund so my question is how confident should a be that a flush and whatever else they decided to do to it (as it is in the shop right now) will work (and not return) or should I just take the refund and spend alittle more and get the 2020 cuz from what i am gathering this issue is taken care of in the 2020 models.

Thanks, any advise helps
If it were me I would take the refund every time. I have a 2019 zr2 that the flush has not completely resolved the shudder and it actually made my truck start shifting hard on 2-1 shifts to the point where i feel like I’m being rear ended. My TC is probably glazed and needs to be replaced. Just have to make the appointment to take it to the dealer but since it’s an intermittent issue I’m not going to hold my breath that they fix it the first time or can even replicate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2020 Z71 with 3300 km (2000m) on it and am getting harsh 2-1 shifts very infrequently under light braking. As far as my driving habits I'm fairly light on the throttle. Reading about TSB 18-NA-355 it seems as if they changed the fluid being put it at production in March 2019.

For people that have/have had the issue how often does it come up? I'm hesitant to go to the dealer being that it happens so infrequently but also don't want to mess up my TC. I'm guessing if I were to go to the dealer and have the mechanic drive it there wouldn't be any issues since it happens so I frequently.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Had the tsb done on my new 2019 Colorado at 2,000 miles. I occasionally have a harsh shift from 1st. to 2nd. when I first start out after truck sets overnight especially in cold weather. very seldom once winter was over. I find if after starting truck and after backing out of carport if I put it in drive and simply wait just a few seconds after doing so most of the time have a smooth shift 1st. to 2nd. and the rest of my driving doesn't do it when stopping and going. If I misinterpreted your post and your talking down shifting from 2nd. to 1st. then I've never had that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the tsb done on my new 2019 Colorado at 2,000 miles. I occasionally have a harsh shift from 1st. to 2nd. when I first start out after truck sets overnight especially in cold weather. very seldom once winter was over. I find if after starting truck and after backing out of carport if I put it in drive and simply wait just a few seconds after doing so most of the time have a smooth shift 1st. to 2nd. and the rest of my driving doesn't do it when stopping and going. If I misinterpreted your post and your talking down shifting from 2nd. to 1st. then I've never had that.
Yeah, I was talking about downshifting from 2-1. When you say cold weather, how cold are you taking? It's been around 0C/32F here the past few mornings and that's when I notice it is the worst.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts