Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, so I just got a new 2020 Colorado WT Custom Special 4x4 without the towing package. My older sister is wondering if I could tow her RV trailer for her (weight is 4,900lbs fully loaded) if she bought a hitch receiver and the wiring harness for my truck. On Chevy’s website it says without the towing package it can only tow 3,500lbs not 7,000lbs. The only thing the package has that I wouldn’t put on is a locking rear differential. Can the Colorado still tow 7,000lbs without the locking rear differential or is it absolutely required?

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
948 Posts
Well some of the WT come with the V6. do you have the 4 cylinder or the V6. That will make the difference.
On Chevy's site if you have the V6 it can do it Max Conventional Trailering (lbs.) † 7000 lbs/5000 lbs with ZR2 Trim.
But if you have the 4 cylinder Max Conventional Trailering (lbs.) † 3500 lbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well some of the WT come with the V6. do you have the 4 cylinder or the V6. That will make the difference.
On Chevy's site if you have the V6 it can do it Max Conventional Trailering (lbs.) † 7000 lbs/5000 lbs with ZR2 Trim.
But if you have the 4 cylinder Max Conventional Trailering (lbs.) † 3500 lbs.
I have the 3.6L V6 engine, 4 wheel drive. On the websites towing guide it says without the trailering package it can only tow 3,500lbs even with a V6, but the only thing the trailering package comes with is the hitch receiver, 7-pin wiring harness, trailer brake and locking rear differential. I can put everything else but the differential on the truck.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I have the 3.6L V6 engine, 4 wheel drive. On the websites towing guide it says without the trailering package it can only tow 3,500lbs even with a V6, but the only thing the trailering package comes with is the hitch receiver, 7-pin wiring harness, trailer brake and locking rear differential. I can put everything else but the differential on the truck.
3500lbs is the bumper hitch rating. If you add a class III hitch, then you get to the 7K tow rating.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Fact: Mind the break-in period, wherein you can't tow. My 2018 was 500mi break-in, no towing or driving over 55mph. Look yours up in the owner's manual
Opinion: Personally, I wouldn't tow such heavy weight for a couple thousand miles or more, on a new vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts