Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
1,583 Posts
View attachment 393074

Just picked the truck up. Here are the notes. Didn’t get to speak with service advisor about any newly designed parts or anything though.
Torque Converter SKU # 24293013 is a new Torque Converter model it replaces Torque Converter SKU # 24274130.
I haven't been able to track down a change over date, but seems the 2020 Model should be the change over.

So, it is an upgraded part from the original that was in since 2017.

Torque Converter - GM (24293013) | GM Parts Center

Shocked to read that the steering rack is in an area that interferes with Transmission removal. Learn something new everyday.

Yeah, I know the Troll is responding again.

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Trail Runner
190 Posts
Torque Converter SKU # 24293013 is a new Torque Converter model it replaces Torque Converter SKU # 24274130.
I haven't been able to track down a change over date, but seems the 2020 Model should be the change over.

Shocked to read that the steering rack is in an area that interferes with Transmission removal. Learn something new everyday.

As the owner of a 2020, I hope the 2020's have the new torque converter. 🤣

·
Registered
245 Posts

That's good news for me as it appears when they replaced my TC in September of 2019 they used the new part number.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
That's good news for me as it appears when they replaced my TC in September of 2019 they used the new part number. View attachment 393243
That is some more proof. September 2019 the 2020 models would of been out. So, most likely new part in 2020 models and if Torque Converter gets replaced with new, it would be the new model.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Did some more research and more proof that the 2020 model year should already have the updated Torque Converter from the factory.
I checked the National Traffic Safety Administration today. The most recent update for TSB 18-NA-355 revised March 30, 2020 list Model Years for all models up to and including 2019.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10174266-9999.pdf

GM had made announcements that from factory models would have updated fluid already installed.

GM tried to “improve” the 8-speed in the 2019 Silverado and 2019 Sierra. In a press release, the automaker said it made “enhancements designed to improve shift quality, while also adding a new centrifugal pendulum absorber torque converter” to improve smoothness. The new revised transmission was assigned RPO code MQE, replacing the M5U 8-speed unit on the half-ton Silverado and Sierra, but not (yet) on other GM products like full-size SUVs or mid-size pickups.

The GM 8-Speed Transmission Needs To Go Away ASAP: Opinion

·
Registered
730 Posts
That "centrifigal pendulum absorber tortue converter" has been in use in the 4cyl diesels since 2016. It allows for constant rotational speed into the transmission even though the 4cyl diesel has torque ripple or cogs at low rpm and moderate to high load.
The V6 will cog during cylinder deactivation.
IMO the pendulum damper is a better solution to this than PWM drive to the lockup clutch for controlled slip.
IMO we are witnessing the result of an attempt to save hardware cost via firmware features.
IMO attempt failed.
How many identical issues are seen on the diesel?
How long has GM been trying to patch this?
Hope they did/do find a solution but just sayin'.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I was curious. SgtThump as of today only posted in this thread. It did give some great insight with the part number for the new Torque Converter that GM is using in the 8 Speed Transmissions. Much better then the people that post once to complain or ask a question and leave.
At least I know if I have to get a Torque Converter replaced there is an updated unit now. Hopefully, it is a less sensitive one.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
We will never know what converter is in what vehicle. It wouldn't surprise me if GM is using "inferior" TC's in new trucks, cheaper than making new ones most likely. I'm sure it's a science, % of failure, customer dissatisfaction, cost of the new TC, cost of repair, % of new fluid "fixing" the issue, ect.... all goes into the equation. (customer dissatisfaction is probably low on the list ;) )

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
It hasnt been very long and I haven't driven many miles, but my truck super smooth now. The difference is pretty big.

It rides smoother than the brand new 2020 Colorado they gave me as a loaner! (it had less than 50 miles on it)

ill report back in the future.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB
165 Posts
Glad to hear you're getting some reprieve/relief. Trans problems suck.

Hopefully nobody told anyone they blew a tranny....because that means something else now. 😁 😁😁

41 - 51 of 51 Posts