Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new 2020 Colorado Z71 on Black Friday 2019. Since we've been in this virus lockdown, I've only put 7k miles on it since then.

Noticed the hard shifting from 1st to 2nd right when I bought the truck. Was told that's pretty normal and it honestly didn't seem like a huge issue (truck was always cold when this happened), so I wrote that off.

However, started feeling the "rumble strip" shutter at 1,500rpms and took the truck in last week. They've been waiting on GM to decide how to handle it for a few days. Just got the call that GM authorized for them to replace the TC, filter, and put in higher performance tranny fluid. He said I'm the first case for that dealership where GM has authorized replacing the TC. It's a 14-hour job and obviously very expensive to do.

I asked the service guy to try and find out if this includes updated parts to fix the issue or just replacing with the same parts. He seems like a good guy and said he'll find out for me.

Not to be a drama queen, but if this is just replacing the same parts, I don't really want this truck anymore. This is enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth for sure. I'll report back with what I find out about the parts.

So yeah, 2020 is still having these issues.

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was the date of manufacture of your truck?
Well shoot. Since the truck isn't here, I can't just go out and look at the door sticker. I did look at it before and I "think" I remember it being built 3-4 months before I bought it. So maybe July or August? I know, that's a guess and not really helpful. Sorry I can't just go look.

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
I have not followed the 8 speed transmission issues closely, but my understanding was that the wrong fluid would cause some sort of buildup in the torque converter. If the fluid was replaced before this happened, that would solve the problem. If not, then TC needed to be replaced. No "new design" parts, just replace with same part number and the new fluid prevents the issue from recurring.

You can probably get a build date based on VIN number and one of the online decoders. I thought all of the 2020 trucks would have been built with the new fluid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not followed the 8 speed transmission issues closely, but my understanding was that the wrong fluid would cause some sort of buildup in the torque converter. If the fluid was replaced before this happened, that would solve the problem. If not, then TC needed to be replaced. No "new design" parts, just replace with same part number and the new fluid prevents the issue from recurring.

You can probably get a build date based on VIN number and one of the online decoders. I thought all of the 2020 trucks would have been built with the new fluid.
I'll do more research, but my understanding is that if the truck was made after early in 2019, it should've had the new tranny fluid anyway. I assume that's why Bauerman asked the build date? Heck, I dunno. Either way, I'm not real happy as I'm sure you can understand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only thing I've seen so far using different VIN Decoders is that the truck was initially listed for sale in early August. I'm not seeing where any date of manufacturer is listed. Still looking, though.

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
I'll do more research, but my understanding is that if the truck was made after early in 2019, it should've had the new tranny fluid anyway. I assume that's why Bauerman asked the build date? Heck, I dunno. Either way, I'm not real happy as I'm sure you can understand.
I understand, and I too thought that a truck built in late 2019 should have not had an issue. I am sure that is what @Bauerman was thinking as well.

Sometimes I think that the manufacturers ask for a replacement when something like this happens so they can look at the part that failed. I had a fairly early 2015 model truck and had a steering system issue. They replaced the entire electric power steering rack and shipped the rack back to GM. Shortly afterwards, a recall to re-program the steering system came out. GM may be curious why you are seeing a problem and want to look more closely.

If truck was initially listed for sale in August, 2019, it was one of the first 2020 trucks shipped. Probably built in June, 2019. Not sure when exactly GM swapped the fluids. (They should have required any trucks on the lot with the old fluid to be flushed before they were sold...)

Reactions: SgtThump

·
Registered
225 Posts
Not to be a drama queen, but if this is just replacing the same parts, I don't really want this truck anymore. This is enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth for sure. I'll report back with what I find out about the parts.

Chris
Most likely the same parts with the "possible" exception of the fluid. That said, the old fluid is the most common cause of shudder & TC damage but it's not the only cause. It could have under/over filled, improperly assembled, etc., and sometimes you just get a bad part (TC in this case). One way to look at it, they are not requiring you to have the flush/fill done first and only replacing the TC if that fails to fix the issue (like they have done to so many). They are going straight to TC replacement and that is better. Please don't interpret my comments as trying to defend GM in any way.

FWIW, I had the TC replaced under warranty on my 2018 and it's been great ever since.

JMHO
No expertise implied or expressed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
(They should have required any trucks on the lot with the old fluid to be flushed before they were sold...)
Wouldn't that have been nice.

However, not likely short of an actual recall. Nope, GM bets that only a fraction of those trucks sitting on a lot from before the fluid change in production will actually need/seek repair. Issuing a "stop sale" and repairing all of the trucks on the lots awaiting sale would have been too expensive. Then there's the other GM vehicles with the same transmission and fluid (and problems). It's cheaper and easier to just fix those that seek repair under warranty.

JMHO
No expertise implied or expressed

·
Registered
70 Posts
I thought build dates after 3/19 were good from a factory fluid fill standpoint (mine is a 1/19 build so far no issues). So any MY '20 and up should be fine on that end. Perhaps it really is just a bad TC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought build dates after 3/19 were good from a factory fluid fill standpoint (mine is a 1/19 build so far no issues). So any MY '20 and up should be fine on that end. Perhaps it really is just a bad TC.
I thought the same. That trucks built after 3/19 used the new transmission fluid. When the dealer guy called me today, he specifically said GM authorized replacing the TC, filter, and adding new synthetic high performance fluid (or something like that.) That statement makes it sound like mine didn't have it, but who knows. He may have been confused or I may have misunderstood something.

I'll get it back in a few days and be sure to report back with any info I find out this week.

·
Registered
2015 Colorado Crew V6 2x4
262 Posts
SgtThump...well that's a bummer. I can completely understand why you might want out from under that truck if you no longer have confidence in it. That said, I've read a lot into this issue since the same thing affects my 2016 Camaro SS, and being a fan of the Colorado / Canyon, (but a 2015 owner with the 6 speed) I've read much there also. I do not believe GM would have decided to replace your transmission if they felt like they were in the same boat as they were when they started doing the latest fluid replacements. In those cases, they stopped doing TC replacements altogether, unless the TC was too far gone. Who knows, maybe yours was, but it sounds like you caught it fairly early. I too get the feeling they want to take a look as yours.

I really REALLY hope that the 2020, and thus the 2021 models do not suffer from the same shudder issues. So far, the overwhelmingly vast majority of owners with 2019 models that had the fluid replaced, or had it from the factory, and 2020 owners (and I'm not just talking about the Colorado and Canyon) have been happy. Hopefully yours really was just bad, but what you do from this point on is your call of course. I wouldn't fault you if you found something else. For me, I don't think I'd have concerns buying a 2020 model, but that's just me. That said, I'll be glad when they stop using this particular eight speed altogether. Hopefully the next gen gets the 10 speed, or a revamped 8 speed (I'm assuming it will be the 10)

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
1,441 Posts
Bought a new 2020 Colorado Z71 on Black Friday 2019. Since we've been in this virus lockdown, I've only put 7k miles on it since then.

Noticed the hard shifting from 1st to 2nd right when I bought the truck. Was told that's pretty normal and it honestly didn't seem like a huge issue (truck was always cold when this happened), so I wrote that off.

However, started feeling the "rumble strip" shutter at 1,500rpms and took the truck in last week. They've been waiting on GM to decide how to handle it for a few days. Just got the call that GM authorized for them to replace the TC, filter, and put in higher performance tranny fluid. He said I'm the first case for that dealership where GM has authorized replacing the TC. It's a 14-hour job and obviously very expensive to do.

I asked the service guy to try and find out if this includes updated parts to fix the issue or just replacing with the same parts. He seems like a good guy and said he'll find out for me.

Chris
Well if GM is going to replace the Torque Converter and Filter, they are going to use the replacement part for each.

Do you honestly think that they are replacing you parts due to being defective that GM should replace them with some More Expensive Parts that are Aftermarket or for another model vehicle?

They will replace Part # XYZ with Part # XYZ, if it has been changed to XYZ* they will replace it with that part number.

Seems to me you have unrealistic expectations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well if GM is going to replace the Torque Converter and Filter, they are going to use the replacement part for each.

Do you honestly think that they are replacing you parts due to being defective that GM should replace them with some More Expensive Parts that are Aftermarket or for another model vehicle?

They will replace Part # XYZ with Part # XYZ, if it has been changed to XYZ* they will replace it with that part number.

Edit - Eh, forget it. Not worth my time.

·
Registered
2015 Colorado Crew V6 2x4
262 Posts

He's simply worried that since they are the same thing, they'll fail again, just the same. He was hoping there might have been an improved replacement by now. It's not that complicated.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
1,441 Posts
Edit - Eh, forget it. Not worth my time.
I actually laughed when I read the email

You said "im sorry, but who in the hell are you? Just another cocky asshole on the web? F you."

I did not mean to offend you when I said you had unrealistic expectations.

Sometimes things break or are defective......Sadly that is part of life. When that happens, it does not make the item inferior.

You called yourself a Drama Queen...... You don't act like a Drama Queen that is a good thing.

The world does not run by the philosophy of if something doesn't work, give the person something better.

That is the world of Nursery Rhymes:

"Hush little baby, don't say a word,"
BY MOTHER GOOSE
Hush little baby, don't say a word,
Papa's gonna buy you a mockingbird.

And if that mockingbird won't sing,
Papa's gonna buy you a diamond ring.

And if that diamond ring turns to brass,
Papa's gonna buy you a looking glass.

And if that looking glass gets broke,
Papa's gonna buy you a billy goat.

And if that billy goat won't pull,
Papa's gonna buy you a cart and bull.

And if that cart and bull turn over,
Papa's gonna buy you a dog named Rover.

And if that dog named Rover won't bark,
Papa's gonna buy you a horse and cart.

And if that horse and cart fall down,
You'll still be the sweetest little baby in town!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He's simply worried that since they are the same thing, they'll fail again, just the same. He was hoping there might have been an improved replacement by now. It's not that complicated.
Right! I’m familiar with Harley-Davidson going through several part revisions/numbers to fix issues in the field. After enough people had an issue, the moco would redesign things and update motorcycles with new parts.

I apologize to everyone for not knowing how Chevy handles this type of stuff. Actually, not really. :)

<rolling eyes at gherbert... lol>

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
Sgt.
Sorry for the troll it happens.

I had read a few months ago yhat there waz an improved steel torque converter available for replacement.
Might want to Google search for that.
Search on this site is almost bad as the troll garbage.

Reactions: SgtThump
1 - 20 of 46 Posts