Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have a new have a new Colorado with a V6 and the towing package like the title says. My question is I just bought a brand new travel trailer that weighs about 3100 lb, will I have any problems Towing this? I already installed an electronic brake for the trailer so that'll help with stopping. My main concern is will my truck have any problem Towing. Thanks for any help that anyone can lend

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
No.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
What brake controller did you install?

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Some people tow without a brake controller. I wouldn’t! I like having the brake controller pull back slightly quicker than the trailer brakes. Trailer brakes are cheap. You can buy the entire brake assembly for $50 per wheel.

·
Registered
99 Posts
With that trailer loaded, truck loaded and the passengers, I doubt you would be much over 4000lbs. Your truck can pull that just fine.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
You say new truck...
My brakes took about 6K before they were broken in.
Definitely don't tow during the break-in.
Don't expect great gas milage, there is already gripe thread on that.
But yes, this truck is an amazing tower.
Looks into bolt-on leaf spring helpers from Hellwig if you needs them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tnks for all the input gents, much appreciated. The truck is new ish I should say, it has 6k in it now. The tongue weight is only 400lbs (so the manifest says) so I dont think that will be an issue. As for the controller, it's a primus IQ 9p160. Tnks again guys

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Tnks for all the input gents, much appreciated. The truck is new ish I should say, it has 6k in it now. The tongue weight is only 400lbs (so the manifest says) so I dont think that will be an issue. As for the controller, it's a primus IQ 9p160. Tnks again guys
Take a gander in the owners manual, as it has some towing insights, and info about tow mode use.

·
Registered
815 Posts
No offence but you should have asked the question before making the purchase.
Makes for a worry free shopping experience.
Guys here tow a lot heavier than that without a problem.
Enjoy your camping season.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My trailer is a Heartland Wilderness 2750RL it's on the heavy side so I have to remind the wife not to bring her 900# of products.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
We take delivery on it today and actually booked a class for questions like this. However I was trying to get ahead of the game by asking questions here.
A class? This I need to know more about. I can't fathom anyone at a dealership I have ever purchased from that could teach a class, except that one in a million jeep salesperson who actually drove a Wrangler. He was the only car sales person that I have ever purchased a vehicle from, actually, that I have ever dealt with, who knew more than me when I walked into the dealership.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
You say new truck...
My brakes took about 6K before they were broken in.
Definitely don't tow during the break-in.
Don't expect great gas milage, there is already gripe thread on that.
But yes, this truck is an amazing tower.
Looks into bolt-on leaf spring helpers from Hellwig if you needs them.
I had to tow during the 500 miles, but about 20 miles to get from the dealer to storage, at 50 mph Max.
As you stated, it’s best not to and recommended not to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
so I have a new have a new Colorado with a V6 and the towing package like the title says. My question is I just bought a brand new travel trailer that weighs about 3100 lb, will I have any problems Towing this? I already installed an electronic brake for the trailer so that'll help with stopping. My main concern is will my truck have any problem Towing. Thanks for any help that anyone can lend
Towed my 67 nova drag car on a open trailer with no problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
From many years towing with different trucks and set ups you should have no real issue here.I WOULD if I was you make sure to get myself an equalize tow set up if you look in the manual it will give you a gvrw i think its either 7400 or 6900 but I would check just to be safe cause this is dry weight but the weight includes every thing bodies water food ect..

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
I have 19 brake controller came with towing package
I assume you are saying that you have the Integrated trailer brake controller. It DOES NOT come with the towing package, but it is a separate option. If you get the controller option, it will force you to get the towing package. If you get the towing package, then you will have the G80 locking differential. But you can get the towing package without the trailer brake controller - and I can show you a boatload of trucks dealers order with tow packages but without the brake controller. Seems like one of the hardest options to find on trucks on lots.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts