Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, was just looking over my truck after a recent oil change (2019, 3.6L v6) and noticed some oil down by the alternator on the right side of the engine. Tracing it up, it appears to be coming from the valve cover---specifically, there are two components that have a red/black electrical connector at the front of the valve covers. It appears to be seeping from these spots. I then looked at the left side of the engine and noticed the ones over there are seeping too. What are these and does anyone have a clue why they might be leaking?

And oil level is spot on---halfway up the dipstick after it's been sitting all night.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Still under warranty so take it to dealer. There is a note in the service manual that the insulator needs to be replaced if it is contaminated with engine fluid, as well of course as a fix of the leak.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will, was just curious if maybe it was an extremely simple fix.

Browsing through a service manual off ebay---those are the camshaft position actuator solenoid valves. I don't see anything mentioning why they would leak--maybe a PCV valve that is stuck?

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
I will, was just curious if maybe it was an extremely simple fix.

Browsing through a service manual off ebay---those are the camshaft position actuator solenoid valves. I don't see anything mentioning why they would leak--maybe a PCV valve that is stuck?
I don't think there is a valve to stick, just an orifice. There is lots of oil pressure behind those most likely, take her in, don't mess with it or they will deny your warranty.
You got a service manual off of ebay? How much? Any good?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think there is a valve to stick, just an orifice. There is lots of oil pressure behind those most likely, take her in, don't mess with it or they will deny your warranty.
You got a service manual off of ebay? How much? Any good?
(y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it possible the person who changed your oil accidentally spilled a small amount of oil in the engine compartment? Just a thought.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Dropped off the truck this AM. Phone call #1---"hey, tech didn't see a leak. Bone dry in there." I politely tell them to open their eyes.

Call #2--Oh yeah, we see that little tiny bit of oil, that is seepage, not a leak so we won't do anything under warranty. Argue with them again to note how it got wet all the way to the alternator.

Waiting for call back #3. Confirms why I can't stand dealerships...

Update: So they are going to clean it all up and add UV dye to the oil to see if that shows them where it comes from.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Oh Lord....What a bunch of boobs....Now you get to take it back AGAIN.....

Reactions: 23103a

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Although I consider this warning a bit over dramatic, it is I believe from the GM Service manual, and so wonder if you could go that route. On the other hand it looks like a simple procedure to replace the o-rings on the camshaft position sensors which I guess is what I would do rather than argue with dealer about it.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Although I consider this warning a bit over dramatic, it is I believe from the GM Service manual, and so wonder if you could go that route.

View attachment 398130
I'd be willing to bet that dealer will never fix that leak much less that cover..... :|

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Although I consider this warning a bit over dramatic, it is I believe from the GM Service manual, and so wonder if you could go that route. On the other hand it looks like a simple procedure to replace the o-rings on the camshaft position sensors which I guess is what I would do rather than argue with dealer about it.

View attachment 398130
Oh, I’m definitely keeping that in my back pocket when they try to dick me around next time.

“yes I’ll take it in writing that you’re ignoring GM, putting me at risk of injury or death from fire.”

And I agree about doing it myself, it looks fairly simple. But yet why would they all start doing it at once? I would think the cause is something else entirely.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Oh, I’m definitely keeping that in my back pocket when they try to dick me around next time.

“yes I’ll take it in writing that you’re ignoring GM, putting me at risk of injury or death from fire.”

And I agree about doing it myself, it looks fairly simple. But yet why would they all start doing it at once? I would think the cause is something else entirely.
I would just keep an eye on it and when you see the wetness come back take it back in.

Reactions: 23103a and Toughsox
1 - 15 of 15 Posts