Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Interesting...I tend to agree with the article that most will remain a V8, though with so many trucks never seeing more than a suitcase in the bed of it, the 4 banger combined with enough fuel efficiency should bring some people into it.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Hopefully stop/start can be disabled.

Though traditional truck people will probably balk, the new boosted 4 will likely be a better powertrain than the 5.3 for those who drive at elevation. A friend had a Silverado with the 5.3, once it was revved up it went well and sounded great, but it was a total dog off the bottom. The heavyish truck and Denver's high elevation highlights the power trains weakness, and of course it sucked fuel when it was revving and pulling. A ride in my 2.8 tuned diesel Canyon blew him away - he could not believe the torque as we went up the Ike Gauntlet (which peaks at just over 11,000 feet and is a 7% grade most of the way) toting a trailer with two dirt bikes and a bed full of gear locked out in 6th until we had to slow down for the tunnel. He then had no doubt my "little" truck, from a power standpoint, would pull his box trailer better than his FS Silverado with the 5.3.

Altitude compensating boost makes everything better :smile: As long as the engine is designed well to run hard pulling a load - that is always the worry. Ford's updated Ranger is using the turbo 2.3 engine from the Mustang. I kinda wonder how that will fare when subjected to truck use. Time will tell.

·
Registered
357 Posts
This alone would make me say later.....
Every engine in the lineup is start/stop equipped. Every V8, every V6. Everything. And every future motor will be too. You are going to have to stay in the used car market if you don't like that. Also there is a button to disable it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Every engine in the lineup is start/stop equipped. Every V8, every V6. Everything. And every future motor will be too. You are going to have to stay in the used car market if you don't like that. Also there is a button to disable it.
I plan on keeping my 2019 ZR2 a looooooooong time then........ :grin2:
(They better not slip that into the 2019s)

·
Registered
87 Posts

Oh wow. That start-stop feature puts hate in my heart. Do you think the driver will have to push a button every time the vehicle is started?

·
Registered
298 Posts
2019 GM 1500's just got a 2.7 inline 4 GTDI

https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/05/chevrolet-silverado-turbo-history/

310hp with 348 ft-lbs of torque at only 1500 rpm-4000 rpm. If GM doesnt put this in the Colorado/Canyon i think they are insane. I bet it gets MPG's close to the duramax and will run circles around it and the V6 performance wise.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This engine needs to be in the mid-size truck 110% for sure, either for 2019 or 2020, no longer! This was designed for tucks, the Colorado/ Canyon is a truck, GM would be crazy no to offer this at least as optional engine.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Oh wow. That start-stop feature puts hate in my heart. Do you think the driver will have to push a button every time the vehicle is started?

Who knows. Would be nice to fully disable but personally I don't mind it. So it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts
This engine needs to be in the mid-size truck 110% for sure, either for 2019 or 2020, no longer! This was designed for tucks, the Colorado/ Canyon is a truck, GM would be crazy no to offer this at least as optional engine.

New engine is quite longer highly doubt it will be in the Colorado platform until refresh. Adding a brand new engine in an old platform is much more difficult than you might think.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If this were a MY2019 Colorado option (with a less than $1,000 upcharge for engine + 8 speed automatic), I would order one without hesitation...the Ford Ranger is rolling out with a 4 cylinder + 10 speed automatic....

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/05/chevrolet-silverado-turbo-history/

310hp with 348 ft-lbs of torque at only 1500 rpm-4000 rpm. If GM doesnt put this in the Colorado/Canyon i think they are insane. I bet it gets MPG's close to the duramax and will run circles around it and the V6 performance wise.
It may be able to get close MPG empty because peak power isn't needed, but a gas engine will never get better towing MPG than a diesel. Gasoline simply lacks the energy density of diesel and requires more gas to get similar output.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hopefully stop/start can be disabled.

Though traditional truck people will probably balk, the new boosted 4 will likely be a better powertrain than the 5.3 for those who drive at elevation. A friend had a Silverado with the 5.3, once it was revved up it went well and sounded great, but it was a total dog off the bottom. The heavyish truck and Denver's high elevation highlights the power trains weakness, and of course it sucked fuel when it was revving and pulling. A ride in my 2.8 tuned diesel Canyon blew him away - he could not believe the torque as we went up the Ike Gauntlet (which peaks at just over 11,000 feet and is a 7% grade most of the way) toting a trailer with two dirt bikes and a bed full of gear locked out in 6th until we had to slow down for the tunnel. He then had no doubt my "little" truck, from a power standpoint, would pull his box trailer better than his FS Silverado with the 5.3.
At Sea Level too.

The dealer lent me a 5.3L Silverado while my diesel ZR2 had some recall work done. The 5.3L was absolutely gutless below 4K rpm, even at 50ft above sea level here in SJ, the ZR2 diesel pulls much better under 3K rpm. Sure the V8 revs to 6K rpm (or something like that). but I like driving around under 2.5K rpm, and not wasting a bunch of fuel just to make the engine spin to provide usable torque.

·
Registered
298 Posts
New engine is quite longer highly doubt it will be in the Colorado platform until refresh. Adding a brand new engine in an old platform is much more difficult than you might think.

Longer than what? The 2.8L inline 4 diesel that is already in the Colorado? I can’t see it being that much longer.

This engine will be epic in the twins. It will have a torque curve arguably better than the diesel and a hp number better than the V6. MPG should be excellent.

Here is an overlay of the torque and hp curves. I had to do them separately since the Dmax plot use different scalings for the two.

Torque:

HP:

And I bet if GM let the 2.7’s torque curve go on its natural progression instead of hard-capping it at 348, it would have approached 400 ft lbs at 2000 rpm. It would outperform the diesel at any point in the rpms.

My theory is that they did this to protect the 5.3 in the Silverado. They have positioned the 5.3 as a more premium motor and they don’t want all the V8 lovers to stomp their feet.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts