Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys first post here. I love my 2017 ZR2 but Chevy could make this awesome truck perfect with just a few upgrades in my opinion.

1. 4 inch lift DSSV suspension.

2. 33" Goodyear Duratrac tires on specific ZR2 18" wheels.

3. Chevy 5.3 Vortec engine. 355 HP. 383 lb-ft. I think this engine would possible match the MPG of the current 3.6 V6 seeing it would be working so much less.

I think Chevy could make this happen for maybe $5000 option? I know I would be trading up for one. If they really wanted to put a dent in the Raptor and a complete beat down of the TACO... a V8 Colorado would be a good start. Like I said Im so happy with this truck I'm just being greedy >:) Anyone else think about this?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hey guys first post here. I love my 2017 ZR2 but Chevy could make this awesome truck perfect with just a few upgrades in my opinion.

1. 4 inch lift DSSV suspension.

2. 33" Goodyear Duratrac tires on specific ZR2 18" wheels.

3. Chevy 5.3 Vortec engine. 355 HP. 383 lb-ft. I think this engine would possible match the MPG of the current 3.6 V6 seeing it would be working so much less.

I think Chevy could make this happen for maybe $5000 option? I know I would be trading up for one. If they really wanted to put a dent in the Raptor and a complete beat down of the TACO... a V8 Colorado would be a good start. Like I said Im so happy with this truck I'm just being greedy >:) Anyone else think about this?

As cool as a 5.3 would be in these trucks I can’t see them doing it. They’re trying to downsize engines in general, even in their full-size lineup. I doubt they’d ever throw that in a mid-size. At that point, they might as well offer a direct Raptor competitor in their Silverado lineup (which would be completely badass).

The good news is that GM Performance is supposedly coming out with a longer-travel DSSV though, so I’d stay tuned for those That’ll at least check two boxes off of your wishlist, as it’d increase the ZR2’s static ride height and allow for 33’s to fit!

Oh, and welcome to the forums! Enjoy your truck and be sure to post up pictures of her!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Sounds good, but I'd skip the 18" wheels. I dont get why everybody wants big wheels and short sidewalls for off road. More sidewall equals more wheel protection, more flex around rocks, roots, etc. I have 37" tires on my H2 on 17"s, and it works really, really well.

The 31"s on 17"s is really bad. 33"s will give you 1" more sidewall, but if you go to an 18" wheel then you lose half of that. I think we need all we can get.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
You are not going to get a V8. Sorry.

We may see more power but we will see less and less V8 models in the coming years.

I would not be surprised to see a Camaro 330 hp V6 some day.

The Ranger performance model is said to be a Turbo 4. It is not sure they will use a Turbo six at all.
Ford remember is the company killing the V6 in the Mustang.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I bet that wishlist would be 10k or more over a regular ZR2. Stock travel dssv shocks are $900 each, a new ls crate engine is 7k on the cheap end. I too wish a v8 was an option, with 35s on 17s. Rear shocks outside the frame rails and a metal front bumper would be nice too.

Maybe I'll swap an ls3 525 in mine or something someday. Or new lt by then more likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I bet that wishlist would be 10k or more over a regular ZR2. Stock travel dssv shocks are $900 each, a new ls crate engine is 7k on the cheap end. I too wish a v8 was an option, with 35s on 17s. Rear shocks outside the frame rails and a metal front bumper would be nice too.

Maybe I'll swap an ls3 525 in mine or something someday. Or new lt by then more likely.

And don't forget you'd probably have to beef up the rest of the Drivetrain/Brakes and possibly the suspension to handle the extra Weight/Power of the larger added components as well, and who knows how much more that would cost.....Ah, dare to dream...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Twin-turbo Caddy motor. Toe to toe with the Raptor, and a 2wd option.

I've been waiting to see if GM would make an ats v twin kit for it. Too much work probably. It'd be easier to swap the whole engine to the twined 3.6. Its be sweet though!

I do think these and even the raptor should have 2wd options. I mean, isn't the raptor made for 2wd dessert blasting?

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Here are some issues.

Raise it up too much then you have liability of roll overs. It is one thing if you raise it but another if the do it. This is why the Raptor is only a little heigher but it is much wider.

Then the cost. GM has the ZR2 at $42k to $52 k now. Now if you add more items and more engine just how much do you think peop,e will pay for a small truck? There are limits and we are sitting on that limit now.

Finally I suspect GM has a full Size ZR coming bases on spy shots of a new GM truck with a better suspension and other details testing to fill the next up higher priced V8 slot.

Finally just how many would be sold. The last V8 did not move many and even now the ZR2 is expected to account for 10% or less of production. Would it be enough to cover the development cost. These cost would include more EPA test and a whole new battery of crash test.

I think the money would be better to bring the Trailblazer here and offer a ZR model of it. The rerun on investment would be much higher over much higher sales in this SUV rich climate.

If not this truck would be like a Syclone that sold for one year with 2900 models sold. Even with three years of the Typhoon less than 7000 units were soldwhen combined with the Syclone over 4 years total.

Just being a cool truck does not lead to profits and GM went bankrupt making a lot of cool cars when their regular lines failed to pay the bills.

Right now they need a refresh next year to meet the Ranger and to make sure the ne 2023 model is on time and right in 2022.

As it is we will at some point get stuck with the auto stop and a possible hybrid system in these truck. More engine would bring it sooner. Not something I am looking for.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If they really wanted to put a dent in the Raptor and a complete beat down of the TACO... a V8 Colorado would be a good start.
ZR2 already has no problem stacking up against the Taco. I don't think GM's goal with the ZR2 was to compete too directly with the Raptor, but rather offer something significantly different from it. If GM wants to compete with the Raptor, they will work with the Silverado platform.

4" lift is not going to happen. Stability issues come into play.

If you want, you can get aftermarket 33" tires and 18" wheels on the ZR2 with a small body lift, and maybe some massaging. GM does not need to install bigger tires from the factory, and make the EPA numbers look even worse.

It's possible you could see a higher output engine offering in the ZR2, in a few years, as sales decline. Time will tell, but I would not hold my breath.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If a special edition Colorado uses the word Extreme anywhere in it, it had better be slammed, with side skirts and a tuned ZQ8 suspension... maybe using the multimatics dialed closer to the Camaro settings. Ideally, it'd be a 3.6 turbo, too, a throwback to the previously mentioned Syclone. AWD is probably too much to hope for, but it would be nice to have a modern day street slayer Sy/Ty reborn.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If a special edition Colorado uses the word Extreme anywhere in it, it had better be slammed, with side skirts and a tuned ZQ8 suspension... maybe using the multimatics dialed closer to the Camaro settings. Ideally, it'd be a 3.6 turbo, too, a throwback to the previously mentioned Syclone. AWD is probably too much to hope for, but it would be nice to have a modern day street slayer Sy/Ty reborn.
Special edition you want? GM will give you a special edition. 32 to choose from! Including:

The Knob Edition
-Body coloured knobs on the interior
-Standard spray in bedliner
-Standard V6 Engine
-Gear-On bed divider

The Stripe Edition
-A black stripe on the roof
-Standard tubular assist steps
-Standard trailering package
-Gear-On Cross Bars

The Early Morning Edition
-Illuminated cup holders
-Standard tonneau cover
-All Weather Floor mats
-Standard heated seats

The Whiteout Edition
-Winter rated Wrangler Duratrac Tires
-Summit white exterior / bumpers / mirror caps
-Special edition summit white painted 18" steel wheels.
-10 bed mounted tie down rings

ETC

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
When you guys dream please consider the cost of development of things like a Turbo V6 as it no longer a simple bolt in as it was year ago. I wish it was.

Even trucks like the ZQ8 only came about because it was done from the parts bin. The original was done and the only non off the shelf part was the center caps for the wheels.

The ZQ8 could be a nice edition here as it could still be done fairly cheap and no need for EPA tests and crash testing.

Also based on the original models it should be a suspension offered on base to loaded as most sold were 4 cylinder and base models. They sold a lot of them. The Extreme came later and only accounted for smaller sales numbers.

I had a Sonoma version and loved it.

Keep in mind the original was only 193 Hp with the 4.3 option. The 308 HP would be just fine. That is even much more than the very limited production Syclone.

I think a Red Line combined with a ZQ8 option would make a profitable model that could make production in a realistic way. Then let them choose the Redline and V6 as options to garner more sales from those looking for a lower price.

·
Registered
9,051 Posts
HyperV6 nailed it,

off-road racers are not raised up so way make a this truck top heavy

Reactions: G2SKIER and nfmisso

·
Registered
60 Posts
Special edition you want? GM will give you a special edition. 32 to choose from! Including:

The Knob Edition
-Body coloured knobs on the interior
-Standard spray in bedliner
-Standard V6 Engine
-Gear-On bed divider

The Stripe Edition
-A black stripe on the roof
-Standard tubular assist steps
-Standard trailering package
-Gear-On Cross Bars

The Early Morning Edition
-Illuminated cup holders
-Standard tonneau cover
-All Weather Floor mats
-Standard heated seats

The Whiteout Edition
-Winter rated Wrangler Duratrac Tires
-Summit white exterior / bumpers / mirror caps
-Special edition summit white painted 18" steel wheels.
-10 bed mounted tie down rings

ETC
Sounds like a page out of Jeep's book!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As cool as a 5.3 would be in these trucks I can’t see them doing it. They’re trying to downsize engines in general, even in their full-size lineup. I doubt they’d ever throw that in a mid-size. At that point, they might as well offer a direct Raptor competitor in their Silverado lineup (which would be completely badass).

The good news is that GM Performance is supposedly coming out with a longer-travel DSSV though, so I’d stay tuned for those That’ll at least check two boxes off of your wishlist, as it’d increase the ZR2’s static ride height and allow for 33’s to fit!

Oh, and welcome to the forums! Enjoy your truck and be sure to post up pictures of her!

Thanks!! I hope you're right about the longer travel DSSV. That would be awesome.

If they keep the 5.3 in the lineup Im still hoping it could be an option. I don't think MPG would be a problem with the 5.3 getting 16/23 in the Silverado's now. You would think dropping it in a Colorado being 800-1000 pounds lighter might even help.

Your truck looks great!! I actually wanted the cajun red or white. Ive only done some minor things window tinting and changed out all the interior lights with LED's. Reverse and cargo lights too. I want to get those Anzo headlights and tail lights I think they look great but pricey.

Back in June there were about 12 ZR2's in the St. Louis area. I didn't want to order one and what surprised me was only a couple were ordered with the Bose radio upgrade.(I thought most would be ordered with this) This was a must for me. So the one I found with the Bose actually was loaded up pretty nice. Illumination interior package, floor liners, soft tonneau, polished exhaust tip, black bow ties, even the Illuminated front bow tie. Its the graphite metallic crew cab which I'm really happy with.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
You’ll never get a V8 - that’s what the Silverado is for.

4” Lift? Wheels & Tires? Something you can build on your own for less.

You don’t need no stinking V8 - you just need a better gear ratio.

Oh hell, if you’re gonna go that far.....Chevy should build us a solid front axle rig with Dana 44 in the front, D60 in the rear, Front & rear selectable lockers, Atlas transfer case, Rollcage, 35’s, proper gearing for tire size/tranny......

:)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds good, but I'd skip the 18" wheels. I dont get why everybody wants big wheels and short sidewalls for off road. More sidewall equals more wheel protection, more flex around rocks, roots, etc. I have 37" tires on my H2 on 17"s, and it works really, really well.

The 31"s on 17"s is really bad. 33"s will give you 1" more sidewall, but if you go to an 18" wheel then you lose half of that. I think we need all we can get.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Funny I changed my post to 18" at the last second. I'm fine with 17's. I was thinking 33" on 17's might look weird but your right they wouldn't.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.