Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Guess Im lucky with my '18.

I know it sucks but get it to the dealer and if they need to keep it then make sure they give you a loaner.

Im at 20k and wouldnt mind a free flush. Lol

I really want to know what the problem is. Mechinical, fluid, programming, etc.

Crazy since its pretty much every 8 speed in different vehicles and the ones being sold today.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Trust me,it will come back.Takes a bit longer with new fluid but it will come back.
I may be speculating with gm and dealers clamming up.
My dealer has acknowledged the shudder in prior repair orders(writing) but will not acknowledge it now in a repair order (writing.)
Just offer another fluid flush.
40 qts of updated fluid gets flushed thru the transmission, you really think thats gonna help?
The transmission only holds 8 qts or so,all the old fluid has long been flushed out.
You don't have your figures right check out the TSB. They flush 20 quarts thru to be sure to get all the old fluid out and every thing clean of old fluid. Read the TSB and if done properly at a dealership it will show 20 quarts flushed through. TSB 18-NA-355

·
Registered
10 Posts
You don't have your figures right check out the TSB. They flush 20 quarts thru to be sure to get all the old fluid out and every thing clean of old fluid. Read the TSB and if done properly at a dealership it will show 20 quarts flushed through. TSB 18-NA-355
Sorry your are right. A moot point tho.20 will still get all if not most of old fluid out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah they told me that the crux of the problem is moisture which apparently was creeping in even with the former machine used to flush the fluid. They said they had the new procedure down now where no moisture could return into the system so it should be good. I'm not totally convinced either, but will see as time goes on. It took about 3000 miles for it to really show its ugly head the first time, we'll see how it goes from here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's what the told me also-had updated fluid flushed at 12,442 miles. Shudder slowly came back.Now at 16,311 miles its pretty bad. Opened BBB case for buy back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2019 built in March of ‘19 has shown no signs of shudder, but definitely still has a hesitant first 1-2 shift every morning. So assuming mine was built with the new fluid from the factory, I’m not sure if that’s a fix for the 1-2 shift issue. It can also clunk pretty hard when slowing to a stop when trans is cold, but that’s only within the first block or so of the house, and only when braking aggressively.

My shutter went away but the hard shift has been there since purchase (December of 2018) I have attempted to have the dealership address this several times now and they finally moved forward with replacing the Transmission Valve Body. I have opened a case with Chevrolet and also filed a complaint with the BBB in order to facilitate a buyback on my lease. I am done with this truck. 7400 miles and nothing but garbage out of the transmission.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
My shutter went away but the hard shift has been there since purchase (December of 2018) I have attempted to have the dealership address this several times now and they finally moved forward with replacing the Transmission Valve Body. I have opened a case with Chevrolet and also filed a complaint with the BBB in order to facilitate a buyback on my lease. I am done with this truck. 7400 miles and nothing but garbage out of the transmission.

Good luck!
Wow, sorry to hear that. Other than the specific issues I described that happen when it's cold, I have no complaints about my transmission. If nothing new creeps up or anything gets worse, I'll be fine holding onto it for a good 10 years (which I hope to do).

Side note, I love the way your Redline Edition looks in silver.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that. Other than the specific issues I described that happen when it's cold, I have no complaints about my transmission. If nothing new creeps up or anything gets worse, I'll be fine holding onto it for a good 10 years (which I hope to do).

Side note, I love the way your Redline Edition looks in silver.
That was my plan to hold on to it for 10 years.
But with the transmission shudder issue and 4 tries to repair it, I reopened BBB case for GM to buy it back.
Im done!
Side note,could be a nice truck,seats suck though very uncomfortable

·
Registered
2 Posts
2019 Crew Cab V6 4WD - I did post on another thread but my truck was sold new Jan '19 and traded in 5 months later. I think the previous owner didn't want any part of the shudder issue, TSB/warranty fixed or not. I bought it with 4650 miles on it. Had the shudder immediately, called my local dealer and they didn't hesitate to tell me to bring it in for the auto trans fluid change addressed by the TSB and covered by the warranty. About 400 miles so far and absolutely no issues. The dealer said if it comes back they'll go to step 2 and replace the TC. Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Depending on how bad the friction material of the torque converter clutch has degraded, due to moisture and uncontrolled slipping hence shudder and glazing the friction material, no fluid flush will cure an uncontrollable slip (shudder) of the TCC, that's why its important to catch the issue as early as possible and maybe even swap the fluid as a preventative measure. I have an 18 build date 12/17 that I purchased Nov of 2018 and still have no symptoms of a shudder, I'm not doubting owners with the shudder issue but there are many vehicles out there without the issue we just never know about it cause no one goes out of there way to say Hey, mines ok.....hope it gets resolved properly....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Actually had a higher up at GM near production tell me it was about 20% failure rate which is pretty deplorable not sure what that failure rate is after the new fluid. I ordered one in the beginning of 19 and asked for them to put the new fluid in at production and they refused so I got my deposit back. Ended up getting a Nissan pro-4x which has an old-school 5-speed which is pretty much indestructible and has very nice shifting behaviors I'm not too crazy about the new Active Learning Transmissions I think they're all crap. Not worth the trouble for a few miles per gallon and I can't stand how they shift too early and take out torque. Sadly the most reliable trucks on the road are the old-school ones that is the tundra the frontier and the 4Runner. And there's plenty of data to prove it. If you have to resort using a Bosch Transflo injection machine and spend three or four hours labor using an expensive mobile one fluid costing almost $700 that is pretty much a deal killer in itself. Transmission service should not cost $700 come on.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
20 Participants
Trent Larson
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing