Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 started doing the shudder thing now so I guess I will have the take it in to have it checked out. Seems like it's getting worse all the time especially when the transmission gets hot.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a 2019 as well and it started right around the same mileage as yours. My experience was exactly as you're describing with it seemingly getting worse (and with the trans temps too). I've put about 1,500 miles on it since the flush and had no issues since.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 2019 started doing the shudder thing now so I guess I will have the take it in to have it checked out. Seems like it's getting worse all the time especially when the transmission gets hot.
Interesting, Whats your Build date ? curious my 19 is fine but only at 3200 miles

·
Registered
104 Posts
My build date 10/18
My build date is also 10/2018. Any of the Colorados/Canyons from 2017-2019 with the 8 speed transmission and a build date before 3/1/2019 have the potential of the shudder from the original fluid. Starting on 3/1/2019 the factory is installing the new fluid.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My build date is also 10/2018. Any of the Colorados/Canyons from 2017-2019 with the 8 speed transmission and a build date before 3/1/2019 have the potential of the shudder from the original fluid. Starting on 3/1/2019 the factory is installing the new fluid.
Which is why I asked, Build date of 3/1/2019 here !
Just hope the date is Good !

·
Registered
172 Posts
Build dates are critical. If your truck was built after March 1, 2019, then it should have the new fluid, which (so far that I've seen) is helping a lot with the shudder. Crazy to think that just the type of fluid is having this much of an effect.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went over to Voss chevy. this morning told them about the shudder and the said to bring it Monday morning to change the transmission fluid. They said it takes a while to do it and they will give me a car to use so far so good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine started a 2k miles, dealer did the flush and all is well in that regard at 8 K miles. My latest issue is that the first 1-2 shift of the day is very harsh. Almost like getting hit in the rear by another vehicle.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Mine started a 2k miles, dealer did the flush and all is well in that regard at 8 K miles. My latest issue is that the first 1-2 shift of the day is very harsh. Almost like getting hit in the rear by another vehicle.
Which flush did you do? GM had transmission flush with different oil last year and announced a different flush machine for the dealers and another brew of Mobil transmission fluid in December with most dealers not getting the latest and supposedly the greatest in February of this year. I am hoping the new brew will also solve my 1-2 cold shifts whenever I have it done. If you have the latest, then I am wondering if you need a new Torque Converter? GM came out with a new Torque Converter as a possible solution to the shudder but they were wrong. There are some here that did need a new Torque Converter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the transmission flush done today at Voss Chevy and everything seems to be ok now the mechanic that did the job said they use Mobil 1 he said when they do the flush they raise the car on a hoist and put it in drive and pump out the old and the new fluid is pumped in. Anyway everything seems to be good now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Canyon with 9500 miles, the dealer changed the transmission fluid last Tuesday and said to give it 250 miles to make sure the issue cleared up. I'm at about 300 miles later and now the shudder/vibration seems worse. The next step they are doing is to replace the torque converter.

I have not had any drive train issues with other new vehicle purchases. As a previous quality engineer, I would love to know if an 8D has been started to determine the root cause.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 2018 Canyon with 9500 miles, the dealer changed the transmission fluid last Tuesday and said to give it 250 miles to make sure the issue cleared up. I'm at about 300 miles later and now the shudder/vibration seems worse. The next step they are doing is to replace the torque converter.

I have not had any drive train issues with other new vehicle purchases. As a previous quality engineer, I would love to know if an 8D has been started to determine the root cause.
I had mine done 2 weeks ago. I think mine is better but I get a chuggle when its lugging. I'm talking 1600 rpms and less. Letting it shift around 2500 it seems good. My dealer said 500 miles to see if it clears. It actually felt worse after the flush at first. I think I'm just getting used to it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So glad to have found this post!!! I’ve got about 3600 miles on my 19, built 08/18 and I took delivery in April 19... and it seems the shifting is getting really bad. It jitters and chunks sometimes and just generally does not shift and run like it did just a few short months ago! Getting a little sorry I bought this thing. Lots of minor issues with build quality!! I thought this problem only was happening with more miles than this

·
Registered
14 Posts
Which flush did you do? GM had transmission flush with different oil last year and announced a different flush machine for the dealers and another brew of Mobil transmission fluid in December with most dealers not getting the latest and supposedly the greatest in February of this year. I am hoping the new brew will also solve my 1-2 cold shifts whenever I have it done. If you have the latest, then I am wondering if you need a new Torque Converter? GM came out with a new Torque Converter as a possible solution to the shudder but they were wrong. There are some here that did need a new Torque Converter.
My 2019 built in March of ‘19 has shown no signs of shudder, but definitely still has a hesitant first 1-2 shift every morning. So assuming mine was built with the new fluid from the factory, I’m not sure if that’s a fix for the 1-2 shift issue. It can also clunk pretty hard when slowing to a stop when trans is cold, but that’s only within the first block or so of the house, and only when braking aggressively.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2017 Canyon Shudder started at 7000 miles,
New convertor,fluid flush,reprogram,and the latest updated fluid flush in April of this year.
Slowly the shudder came back.
Started as a chuggle then morphed its way into a shudder again.
Between 120 and 130 degrees trans temp
I now have 16k on it.
Dealer will not acknowledge the problem.
They say its normal.
They will not put it in writing that basically the torque converter clutch is slipping!
Although they will do another flush.
Why would they do another flush if that's "normal"??
They are kicking the can down the road .
They don't know how to fix it.
With the class action lawsuit against GM filed for this issue I believe GM has told dealers to clam up.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't believe dealers have been told to clam up over that. The only winners in a class action lawsuit are the lawyers. Plus I read more have the shutter stopped for now any way then those that have not. And you have a powertrain warranty to cover it also. In my case I also have an extended warranty. So even though I had my 2019 done a couple weeks ago with 2,000 miles if it comes back I'll have plenty of time to deal with it. If your not happy with your dealership I suggest you go to another one. You can take it wherever you want under factory warranty and powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wonder if anyone is collecting statistics on how many have the shudder return. I had my flush done 230 miles ago and already can tell there is a degradation in the quality of shift and smoothness in the tranny performance. I don’t yet have a shudder again but I do have a jiggle and it is just a little rough at some speeds and throttle positions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Trust me,it will come back.Takes a bit longer with new fluid but it will come back.
I may be speculating with gm and dealers clamming up.
My dealer has acknowledged the shudder in prior repair orders(writing) but will not acknowledge it now in a repair order (writing.)
Just offer another fluid flush.
40 qts of updated fluid gets flushed thru the transmission, you really think thats gonna help?
The transmission only holds 8 qts or so,all the old fluid has long been flushed out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
20 Participants
Trent Larson
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing