Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After some delay, here's my build thread. I've owned my Summit White ZR2 since August, but just finally got to drive it full time this weekend. I flew back to the homeland in Maine, went to the garage for a wash and wax session, slapped a few things on including the BMS can(I tried to follow the thread on making the bracket but it was too long so a little fab job got it done and mounted near the firewall), tonneau, and some stickers, and jumped in for a 26 hour ride to Florida with the girlfriend. Phew straight through was rough, but the truck performed well. It rolled over the 2k mile mark just before making it to the apartment. I drove it aggressively, for the "break in" and to ensure she knew how she would be rode in the future. Mostly interstate obviously on the way down, but dropping it a gear or 2 at times, and lettinf her rev up when slowing down. I averaged 23mpg, which I'm thinking could have been 25ish if i was nice. Surprisingly feel great and i thought it was comfy as could be for that amount of time. Anyways, I bought a bunch of stuff for it in the time we were apart, thanks to all the forum members for being the guinea pigs and throwing out ideas. I posted in the newb section awhile back with my list of gifts to my favorite girl but here they are for those who are too lazy to lol it up..

-First was a full undercoat at a local dealership, New England winters suck!
-30" Rough country curved LED bar for the front bumper utilizing a OEM fog light switch (this weekend)
-Tacoma Pros LEDs for the grille (also this weekend)
-BMS Catch Can
-Skid Hitch (Thanks to @ KMW)
-Gator Tri-fold bed cover
-Hikari Hi/Lo beam LEDs (waiting for some run time on the stocks)
-Pedal Commander (Chris at GotExhaust was great and gave the best deal possible)
-Stickers and emblems (thank you @G2SKIER)

Things Im looking to install shortly, or when some more money comes in:
-Rough Country 1" leveling kit, with accompanying bump stops to protect that DSSV suspension
-1" wheel spacers (maybe..)
-Front/Sunshield Tint
-Spare tire delete from the undercarriage to ??
-More LEDs (reverse lights, interiors)

Looks like in between some installs, I'm going to Ocala National Forest this weekend with a coworker who has a lifted Rubicon. Can't wait for some hooligan **** and maybe the chance to try out the lockers again? This will be my first time exploring there so we will see. Pictures to come!

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Very nice. Any chance you could do that with an NRA emblem instead? Either way as soon as I get my ZR2 I'll probably be ordering one. What are they running?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So got around to checking the PO Box yesterday, and my Pedal Commander was in there! Christmas seems to come for me weekly. Installed it in the parking lot of work during lunch, it took literally 2 seconds. It took me longer to squeeze in front of my seat and get my arms both in there. I ran the controller up and under the steering wheel to mount later. I needed diesel so it was my excuse to try it out. Very impressed to be honest. I started it in SPORT mode, and just said F*ck it and turned it to +2 just because I was skeptical. Wow I could hardly touch the pedal and the front of the truck lunged forward. And when I say hardly, I mean I set my foot on the pedal. So I ripped down the road towards the gas station and its impressive. Obviously its not a tune, but it feels like it in lower speeds. I'm excited to try it out on the interstate on the way home. I turned it to standard CITY mode, and it felt like the truck normally drove, which was good for the way back. My little 10 minute trip put a smile on :)

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did some light work tonight. Plasti-dip to the grille and tailgate emblems, going to let them sit over night before removing the tape. Also added the weather stripping that came with the tonneau cover around the tailgate. I still need to put some foam or stripping on the cab end of the bed as there is a 1/4" opening the width of the bed..

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the front windows tinted today to match the back! Forgot to take a pic but I will tomorrow. Also took off the bumper in preparation for the light bar and tacoma pro leds. Tried to follow the diy forum, but the zr2 is a little different. There is 4 extra screws on the bottom under the front skid, and 2 hangars towards the center. It took me about 2 hours to get it off, wasn't too bad for doing it in my apartment parking lot with a handful of tools that could have been better. Not really looking forward to putting it back on to be honest ha but I'll make it work.

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the ZR2's bumper back in place. It actually went way smoother than coming apart. Usually for me it's the other way around. Figured I'd tackle the wiring while I was at it. It came out great. I used a OEM knob replacement with the fog light button for my rough country bar! I'm very pleased with the results. I used a add-a-circuit and used the NOx fuse to tap because there was constant power with the lights on or off. Anyone for a better fuse I should tap? I also wired the Tacoma Pro Raptor lights. Which also came out decent. I don't like how I can see the screws with the hood open but that's my fault. I used another add-a-circuit so they would be on wheb the truck is fired up. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
How do you like the relay box for the factory switch? Was thinking about getting one.
The ground activated relay I'm assuming you mean. I wanted to keep a stock interior look with the aftermarket functionality and I got it for way less than a store would have. I took a chance on the modules, as no-one commented or at least said tht it needed work. But if you have any electrical experience it is easy enough. I recommend to anyone willing to do some work

·
Registered
91 Posts
The ground activated relay I'm assuming you mean. I wanted to keep a stock interior look with the aftermarket functionality and I got it for way less than a store would have. I took a chance on the modules, as no-one commented or at least said tht it needed work. But if you have any electrical experience it is easy enough. I recommend to anyone willing to do some work
Thanks, I have my switch already just need the relay. Looked at the video and does not look that hard. I may have to put my EE degree to work, not sure how to due stuff without tubes it has been so long.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No big updates. Took the truck to Ocala National Forest today for some exploring and donuts in the sand. Truck is filled on the inside now. Time for a washin'

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm an hour and a half to two hours from Ocala. Been wanting to get down there on some trails but had a chance yet.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
I had seen some pictures of Ocala, but I must have hit the wrong trails because I didn't find much more than the power line trails, and some tight wooded trails, 90% in sand. It was fun, but not what I expected. It was just me and a buddy in my truck, found one dried up pond but didn't want to risk being stranded out there for a couple hours..

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got the GM floor liners in the mail today. Big upgrade I'm happy I went OEM after I was recommended to on here. Cheaper than weathertech and a perfect fit. Anyone need or want a spare set of the rug mats? I haven't seen a for sale section or swap section here on the forum. I got a stock headlight switch too I don't need. Someone must want a spare for the spring delete or something

Attachments

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Nice! Yes, I was also impressed with the OEM liners. Couldn't ask for a better fit.

Now you need to trim them for the ZR2 silplate. Lol on the bottom side and there is a groove to cut along. I used a new utility knife blade.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice! Yes, I was also impressed with the OEM liners. Couldn't ask for a better fit.

Now you need to trim them for the ZR2 silplate. Lol on the bottom side and there is a groove to cut along. I used a new utility knife blade.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yes I saw that in the instructions, I just didn't get around to it yesterday but definitely will be trimming both drivers and passenger side. Thanks to @RatRacer for recommending them. One weekend playing in the sand and I was over vacuuming that **** out from every crevice in the truck.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Been awhile since I could post anything. Got around yo taking some pictures today, after completing another 1800 mile trip up the east coast. Took the zr2 out for some messing around in the woods. Added my hikari led hi/lo beams tonight. Color blends very nice with the light bar now and looks cleaner imo. Easy install, took 20 min max. Seem to be much brighter, but ill let you be the judge by the pictures. Complementary light bar addition picture as well. Let there be LEDs! Also swapped out the stock intake tube with the profab intake tube. I can hear the spoiling a bit more now, worth it. Oh and got a set of the egr matte black window visors on, in-channel. Also getting my oil changed this week for the first time. Truck is at 5600 miles, dic says 23% quality left. It's time. So anyways I checked my bms catch can, and found a bit over 1 tablespoon of oil captured before the turbo. It's doings it's job !

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.