Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Colorado Greetings, from Colorado!:nerd:

I have 2018 ZR2 CC D-Max with 10,500 miles that I have put on it in the first 2.5 months of ownership. I came out of a 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO that I put 89,500 miles in 20 months. So, I drive just a little bit. :- )

For reference, I live at 9680’ of elevation in Colorado......

Mileage/Power:

Compared to the 4Runner, this D-Max is incredible! I am averaging 23.8 mpg by hand calc’s. 24.5 by the DIC. So pretty darn close. The power in the mountains is superb! It downshifts to 5th and runs like a locomotive.
Best tank was 534 miles, 19.6 gallons consumed, 27.1 mpg. Worst in Wyoming 296 miles, 14.1 gallons, 20.9 mpg.

Pros over the Toyota:

The DSSV shocks are truly a marvel of engineering. It’s like MM put a Di-Gressive shock for the beginning of the stroke and a Progressive shock from the mid-stroke to full compression. Incredible vs some Bilstien, OME, ICON, and Fox shock setups I have used in the past on other rigs.

It’s a really comfortable ride and I have had only one issue with door sill plastic for warranty issues. The 4R, had many issues.

Diesel, nuff said.

Front locker is way better than the Crawl Control...

Off-road:

ROCKS-

Well, the issue is the ZR2 Drive train is up and willing, but the lack of clearance is an issue. For my ceremonial break-in trail that is somewhat challenging for my old TRD PRO with 1” lift, 34x10.50 Ko 2’s, the TRDP kicked the ZR’2s butt, sadly. (This trail was a walk in the park with my 2015 JKUR on 35’s.) The issue for me was clearance, if the ZR 2 had more clearance, it would have walked the slower crawling sections rather than scraping over everything. Larger tires are on order as I write this and it should even things out substantially. A Body lift and spacer as G2 Skier and many others mentioned, should even things out really fast.

Also, the front locker is a total win over the Toyota Crawl control.. No contest.

Sand:

ZR2 with the lockers and DSSV trumps the JKUR and 4R for the win.

Faster trails, Desert:

ZR2 Suspension trumps the 4R all day long. No Contest really.

ZR2 Duratracs:

Already sliced a tire and scraped a rim on the easy trail.... New tires on order.

After 10500 miles, there is 12/32 left. So 25% has burned off. If I keep them on, I expect about 30k max out of them as they will wear faster as the tires wear.

My Tire ranking compared to some competitors I have used from Michigan to the Canadian Shield to the Bad Lands to Colorado to Moab:

Snow traction (winter tires excluded)-

1 Duratrac
2 KO2 (Close second)
3 Toyo AT2 Extreme
4 Tie General Grabber Red Letter, Toyo Mt, Nitto Trail Grapp

Rock:

1 Nitto Trail Grap
2 Toyo MT (close second)
3 Duratrac
4 KO2
5 General Red Letter, Toyo AT 2

Mud- Muck/clay style

1 Trail Grapp
2 Rest are terrible. :- )

Mud, Out west style:

Mts rule and clean out well.
At’s work well.

Least Road Noise:

1 Ko2
2 Toyo AT2
3 General Red letter
4 Duratrac
5 Nitto Trail Grapp
6 Toyo MT

Rain:

1 General Red letter/Trail Grapp
2 Duratrac
3 KO2
4 Toyo MT
5 Toyo AT2. Yes, you read that correctly.

Mods:

Snug top

Future Mods:
New Tires Ridge grapplers or General X3’s.

Yes, I’m a tire junkie.

If you have any questions about the rig let me know and its great to be on board with the ZR2!
It is a superb truck!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Nice review. I also stacked some quick miles on my ZR2 Dmax. That's just another +1 review for the pickup. You got tires on order, but what about the other things you spoke of? Level, spacers, etc? Think you will go that route? How did you splice one of the duratracs? Has clearance been your only negative to say this far ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Nice review. I also stacked some quick miles on my ZR2 Dmax. That's just another +1 review for the pickup. You got tires on order, but what about the other things you spoke of? Level, spacers, etc? Think you will go that route? How did you splice one of the duratracs? Has clearance been your only negative to say this far ?
I wish I could vote more than once, but yes a definite +1. :- )

Regarding the leveling kit/spacers- I leveled my truck out by adding a Snug Top and a Truck Vault, I’m guessing an easy 500lbs. :wink2: Not the way that most would do it, nor is it conducive for bigger tires but I drive a lot with a lot of work stuff. I would love the 285x75x17’s I read about here. And for the record, one of my favorite sizes!

If I decide to go up in size, it will be a 255x75x17 or the 255x80x17 as mileage is important to me. I avg about 50k per yr.

Slicing the Duratrac, It was a normal and easier trail in Colorado and it just happened near the rim protector. Rock went through the side wall near the rim protector and stopped when it hit the rim.. . Bummed me out, but I bought the truck to wheel, drive all over the West for work and do a lot of dirt roads fully loaded. So if your next question is, would any othe tire survived it better? Hard to say..... But I think a Toyo MT, Nitto Trail Grapp or General X3 would have faired better, possibly even the new KO2. I have punctured many tires, but the Toyo’s and Nittos seem to have less occurrences than others out west. Typically E rated.

Off-roading, so far I think clearance is the only issue and Chevy knows it. (Can be easily addressed) That’s why Chevy will have the long travel units coming out. (I hope it adds a 1.5”) I think our current off the showroom floor ZR2 was a test for the market, saw the response from consumers, took a chance with the diesel and said, I think we really have something here... Out here in Colorado, they sell for sticker and they don’t last. I was looking at a Tacoma and here I am. My first Chevy, and I grew up in D-Town for 36 yrs.

So the truck will get well used but will be maintained well. I go through a vehicles about every 1.5-2 yrs pending what I can get for resale value and the miles that are on it. I expect to put 3 sets of tires on the ZR2 within 80,000 miles.... I’m not the guy that runs them to 2/32’s and says, I can put another 5000 miles on them..

If there was one or two more things I would have Chevy redesign (and this is super nit-picking) put a power rear window in and redesign the interior door panels to hold more than dust and a sealed can of pop.

YMMV

TK

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great review. I too live in Colorado. I picked mine up two days ago and will break it in next month with a trip to NC and back.
I’m taking a guess, here, but have a safe trip back to Aberdeen... ?

And you’ll love it, its really a grea truck for the mountains... It just pulls the climbs.

·
Registered
28 Posts

And you’ll love it, its really a grea truck for the mountains... It just pulls the climbs.

I have the gasser but truck did great today getting up to Keystone from Denver. Duratracs we're a bit slippery on the icy neighborhood roads but no issues on I-70. I did notice traction control (or maybe the Auto) kick in when I switch lanes a couple times. I put it on 4Hi on Loveland pass as it was snow coverd. I had snow tires on my previous vehicle and definitely want to go back to the next season...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the gasser but truck did great today getting up to Keystone from Denver. Duratracs we're a bit slippery on the icy neighborhood roads but no issues on I-70. I did notice traction control (or maybe the Auto) kick in when I switch lanes a couple times. I put it on 4Hi on Loveland pass as it was snow coverd. I had snow tires on my previous vehicle and definitely want to go back to the next season...

The Duratrac is not as good as a Blizzak, but it’s a really good AT snow tire. For what it is. I will probably put some snow tires on next yr as well.

Enjoy your ZR2!

·
Registered
193 Posts

Back to Fort Bragg. My best friend is having his Command Sargent Majors ceremony at 3rd Group Support Battalion. I’ll visit other friends so that is why I’m driving.

Great to hear. I live near Canon City so we don’t get a lot of snow compared to the rest of the state. The Duratracs on the truck are different than the standard E rated set you buy. I’m also a fan of Cooper AT3’s as I too put a lot of miles on my vehicles. I had them on my Ram and they handled everything that I deal with.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought my '18 ZR2 diesel in Colorado Springs and got $2600 off via internet pricing at Marooney. They had a '17 at the time that I could have gotten a better deal on, but it was purple. I live north of Taos, NM at 7600' and the truck has been great so far (2500 mi.). We've had close to zero snow, so hoping we get some, well, a LOT, soon. The stock Duratracs seem kinda puny. I've got KO2 LT's on my wife's JGC Overland diesel and we both really like them.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I bought my '18 ZR2 diesel in Colorado Springs and got $2600 off via internet pricing at Marooney. They had a '17 at the time that I could have gotten a better deal on, but it was purple. I live north of Taos, NM at 7600' and the truck has been great so far (2500 mi.). We've had close to zero snow, so hoping we get some, well, a LOT, soon. The stock Duratracs seem kinda puny. I've got KO2 LT's on my wife's JGC Overland diesel and we both really like them.
agreed. I put some 34s falken at3w's on the zr2 and it really balances out the look

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I was out working today and the guy I was meeting noticed my truck and the diesel emblem and started asking about it. The general public really has no idea that GM offers a small diesel in a mid sized truck.

Naturally I bragged on my Canyon - loads of torque, car like fuel economy, blah blah blah. He had an older Silverado with 165K on it and is going to give the twins a good look now - he really dug my Canyon.

Now, with the GDE tune, the engine is just the coolest little gem it can be. The tune seems to offset the effects of the cold weather/winter fuel and whatnot. Still pulling 30-33 mpg on the freeway, with so much easy squeezy torque it is just kind of ridiculous :smile:

The OP is likely going to be our MiniMax mileage pioneer. I am interested in hearing how things go as the miles stack up. At 10.5K myself right now, it just keeps running better and better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The Mini Max Pioneer, I accept the label and look forward to fulfilling the prophecy! Lol

I will also be the guy that goes through more tires than anyone else. I have some X3’s on order and the Yokohama MT G003’s coming to compare, then make a purchase. All in all, I will probably be able to comment on both of them by the end of 2018 since i will probably buy the other set when the firsts wear out. :kiss:

Since you’re in Parker and I’m in Conifer Co, I would like to meet up with and check out your rig with the tune...

I was out working today and the guy I was meeting noticed my truck and the diesel emblem and started asking about it. The general public really has no idea that GM offers a small diesel in a mid sized truck.

Naturally I bragged on my Canyon - loads of torque, car like fuel economy, blah blah blah. He had an older Silverado with 165K on it and is going to give the twins a good look now - he really dug my Canyon.

Now, with the GDE tune, the engine is just the coolest little gem it can be. The tune seems to offset the effects of the cold weather/winter fuel and whatnot. Still pulling 30-33 mpg on the freeway, with so much easy squeezy torque it is just kind of ridiculous :smile:

The OP is likely going to be our MiniMax mileage pioneer. I am interested in hearing how things go as the miles stack up. At 10.5K myself right now, it just keeps running better and better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts