Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started hearing popping/creaking about 6 months ago. I have 22000 miles on the rig. I have been underneath, and checked every bolt, looked for rubbing/etc. Even relocated my spare tire, took out the heat shield and the "winch"... Still, the awful noises continued.

I put rubber in the leaf springs...and lubed the spring pack.

Still sounded like a gremlin hitting body panels when going over a speed hump, or entering a driveway approach.

Took to the dealer... Apparently Chevrolet will be replacing my rear springs.

One thing I did notice, there was an amount of "play" in the bolt to bushing interface @ the springs.

That's an issue that affected Jeeps (and still does)... Where the hole in the bushing is just larger than the bolt that fills it.

Looking forward to the new springs, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Tighten leaf spring hanger bolts and check the bed mounting bolts. I've read several noise complaints fixed by tightening the bed bolts in the past month. Sounds like you have addressed everything else.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Go to rear bumper and find where your spare tire access hole is located. Now underneath your truck near where the spare is look for a plastic pipe that acts as a conduit guide for the tire iron that lowers the spare. Check and see if it rattles. Just an idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same issue but only when backing into my driveway, which has a little bit of a grade from the street. Guess I need to take it in and get it checked out. Is there a service bulletin that your dealer mentioned?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Same issue but only when backing into my driveway, which has a little bit of a grade from the street. Guess I need to take it in and get it checked out. Is there a service bulletin that your dealer mentioned?
If you are replying to me it is just something I noticed on mine making noise. I just put some duct tape around it so it wasn’t loose.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't know if TSB 17-N-394 applies to ZR-2s but it is for exactly these clunks on regular collies. Turning into driveway, backing up and turning. Mines going in for it Wednesday. Started doing it after about 24 months and 24000 miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know if TSB 17-N-394 applies to ZR-2s but it is for exactly these clunks on regular collies. Turning into driveway, backing up and turning. Mines going in for it Wednesday. Started doing it after about 24 months and 24000 miles.
Where does one find more information about that TSB?
When I ask Google to search 'TSB "17-N-394"' I get nothing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been fighting these issues since day one off the lot with my ZR2. I have had everything done from, retorque bolts, new hardware, new leaf springs, new driveshaft, new tires, etc. Just had the truck back in for it's 5th service to fix the rear end noise.
Service was completed this morning and had quantity 8 (if my math adds up I only count 4 but whatever) leaf springs bushings replaced. According to my guy I'm one of the first in the nation with these "new" bushings to fix the rear end clunk. I'm a little skeptical since I haven't seen anything about these new bushings and looking up p/n it seems they are the original design. When I get home I will scan in the service ticket for everyone. So far the noise is gone on my short trip back into work over many speedbumps at all angles and in both directions. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I have been fighting these issues since day one off the lot with my ZR2. I have had everything done from, retorque bolts, new hardware, new leaf springs, new driveshaft, new tires, etc. Just had the truck back in for it's 5th service to fix the rear end noise.
Service was completed this morning and had quantity 8 (if my math adds up I only count 4 but whatever) leaf springs bushings replaced. According to my guy I'm one of the first in the nation with these "new" bushings to fix the rear end clunk. I'm a little skeptical since I haven't seen anything about these new bushings and looking up p/n it seems they are the original design. When I get home I will scan in the service ticket for everyone. So far the noise is gone on my short trip back into work over many speedbumps at all angles and in both directions. Fingers crossed.
While I'm glad you got it fixed. Sounds like lip service from the service tech....

·
Registered
12 Posts
While I'm glad you got it fixed. Sounds like lip service from the service tech....
Well.... backed up the driveway. Pops, bangs, and clunks worse than before :/. Calling GM and BBB to start a buy back, wish me luck!

For those interested service ticket states replaced leaf spring inserts per service bulletin 17-NA-394, document ID#4918216 QTY 8 inserts p/n 84730971.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Leave something behind the rear seat?
Jack loose?
Seat belt?

I had a 4-way lug wrench that got to rocking back there and made my spring slap sound worse than it was. Although I had spring slap at the time, the tire iron gave an extra clunk to hear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nope. Empty out the interior everytime so they can't use that as an excuse. I'm talking everything from glove box, under steat storage, center console, sunglass holder, everything.

Truck now pops and banging just sitting on flat ground or on my driveway turning the steering wheel. Yay!

For your audio pleasure.

Video 1, Video 2

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Go to rear bumper and find where your spare tire access hole is located. Now underneath your truck near where the spare is look for a plastic pipe that acts as a conduit guide for the tire iron that lowers the spare. Check and see if it rattles. Just an idea.
Sorry for the slow reply - however - I have already removed the spare tire, the winch, and the tube (they're sitting on my garage floor). I've also removed the heat shield for the tire. Then I took it to the dealer... then they ordered new leaf springs for the rear, per Chevrolet.

I'll update when they do the replacement (scheduled for 6 September).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry for the slow reply - however - I have already removed the spare tire, the winch, and the tube (they're sitting on my garage floor). I've also removed the heat shield for the tire. Then I took it to the dealer... then they ordered new leaf springs for the rear, per Chevrolet.

I'll update when they do the replacement (scheduled for 6 September).
No worries, I was hoping for a simple fix for you. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, so the new springs went in today at the Chevy dealer. So far, no squeak. It looks like a rock or something got up on top of the forward spring eye on the drivers side... and it grinded/wore and pushed the spring "funny". Causing the weird noises...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2017 Z71, The leaf springs replacement did the trick. Will do how long will last!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
Where does one find more information about that TSB?
When I ask Google to search 'TSB "17-N-394"' I get nothing.
After seeing another poster mention it, this is all I found. LINK But the dealer did know about it. They said the parts, (shims maybe?), are on national backorder and may be a few weeks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
10 Participants
Hal 9000
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing