Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks!

Does your AC compressor seem noisy? I just bought a 2018 Canyon and the AC compressor works fine but just sounds very noisy. Wondering if other folks have reported this issues?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a 2018, but have not noticed any out of the ordinary noise from the AC compressor. I do have other noise issues that the truck is at the dealer for right now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 2018 Z71 with 1100 Miles and have the same concerns about the loud compressor. Also the fan motor seems kind of loud too. So far I am enjoying the truck and hoping it will hang in there for years like my 2000 Tacoma did.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I noticed the AC noise at 2000 miles. Not really bad enough to take it in to the dealer but noticeable when running. Kinda like a power steering pump low on fluid noise. My compressor doesn't seem to cycle on/off like other vehicles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 16 rattles like hell.Dealer says that normal.Everytime i take it in for whatever reason that's the response i get.It's Normal!It's supposed to be that way!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for responding folks! I plan to have the compressor noise checked when I take it in for the 1st oil change. But don't expect positive results from the dealer, if it is indeed a design flaw their is not much they can do. At that point it will be something will have to live with. The problem may be the routing of the refrigerant lines causing the noise. I noticed they are routed parallel and are secured to the fire wall. Thus propagating compressor pulse noise into the cabin. Given the cabin is quite, it could be that the noise is noticeable in our vehicles where as other vehicles it may not be.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
For the owners that get "it's normal" from thier service writer ask to compare it side by side with 2 or 3 new ones on the lot.

My 17 is very quiet, if fact my truck doesn't have any of the more common small issues that owners post about, maybe it's gonna blow up!

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Good choice on taking your truck in for a look. I just got mine back after a week of assessing the audio (driver speaker muffle), back-up camera (washed video), audio mishap (radio/temp wouldn't work) & tranny (shudder). Even though I don't 100% agree w/dealer's findings, it's documented in my maint history. When in doubt, call service (my motto). :D

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just got my 2017 Canyon back from having the torque converter TSB done, and brought the noisy AC up again. They sent their tech to drive it, but came to the same previous conclusion of it sounding "normal". I called BS and stated that the loaner Malibu I just got out of had an AC system that was as quiet as a church mouse. He had the nerve to say that was like comparing apples to oranges. No, it was like comparing granny smith apples to red delicious apples, they're both a GM compressor. He then said it sounded normal for a Canyon or Colorado - which leads me to the obvious conclusion that all Canyon/Colorado compressors are poorly designed. He said I'd have to take that up with GM engineers. I thought that was a bogus response. Why should I as the consumer have to initiate an engineering investigation? Not happy about this.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had my ac compressor replaced for this same issues 2 months ago. Solved it for a day. Came back. Now it’s off and on. I still get the horrid wet dirty sock/chemical smell as well. I’m just learning to live with it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I've noticed a little bit of noise with mine, but nothing that concerns me mechanically. Seems to cycle appropriately and delivers good performance. It's basically a giant pump, and pumps are noisy sometimes. I wonder who GM is using to make their AC compressors these days. Sanden? someone else?

AC can smell for a variety of reasons. Mold or debris caught in the evaporator. Dust in the ducting. Especially on re-circ if it's sucking from the footwell or behind the glove box, your passenger's smelly socks or your kid's fruity chapstick in the glovebox can definitely change the quality of air.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Mine has always been a little noisy (not bad but a low hum that you can notice), but so far has been mechanically sound. I'm hardly about to take it in to the dealer though unless something stops working.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Little noisy on my '18 ZR2 but nothing to get concerned about.
I just turn up the radio..... :laugh:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2016 SLE Canyon, 127,000 miles. The A/C compressor recently started making a noise. When it first started, I thought it was the fan motor, but it only makes the noise when the A/C is on, not the heater. It still blows cold, but something may still be failing. I'll probably get it checked out next week, but not by the dealer.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I can hear it more than in other vehicles, to the point I mentioned it when in for service. Compared to a new Canyon on the lot and it was the same. Not as loud as some are experiencing apparently but you can hear a difference when switching on and off. I like the theory it is the line mounting because it is not any louder when looking at it operate with hood open, whereas my K2500 is noisier (than the Canyon) when near it with hood open, but quieter inside.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts