Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gotten the 2018 map update yet?

I just got the letter in the mail, but not sure if it's got enough updates to make it worth the price.

Now maybe if it also updated the DIC with the off road display....>:)

Reactions: Vinolush

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just my opinion but I think GM is nuts!!! Why would I pay $139.00 for Nav maps when I have Android Auto with Google Maps and Waze Maps for free which have live traffic conditions. I agree with you if they would include updates to the DIC and infotainment I would be willing to spend the money but as of now they are just asking for a donation and not giving you anything of any value.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I have just started looking at what is avaliable for maps off road. I have a old Dell Venue 8 Pro I well try and feed a gps signal to and use the free apps. Sort of looks like there is more support for android than a windows based tablet. May end up using my Samsung S4, would still need a gps signal.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just my opinion but I think GM is nuts!!! Why would I pay $139.00 for Nav maps when I have Android Auto with Google Maps and Waze Maps for free which have live traffic conditions. I agree with you if they would include updates to the DIC and infotainment I would be willing to spend the money but as of now they are just asking for a donation and not giving you anything of any value.
No question. I can spend that $139 on a brand new Garmin or Tomtom with lifetime updates for free. I do like using the truck to navigate for long trips so I can still use my phone for other things. I was just curious if anyone has done it yet. Depending on what each update offers, it may be something I do every 5 years or so.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
just about all map/gps makers give FREE updates 4x/year at minimum (exception tom tom and gm)
SCREW GM and their once every 2 year updates that really aren't up to date. not worth the $$ imo

use the installed map for easy reading and another such as google or waze or garmin as a backup if you're in unfamiliar areas and see if they route differently because of something not mapped by gm

·
Registered
115 Posts
The 2018 map is most likely a compilation of 2016 data and most of us got 2016 trucks with old maps anyway. I think I will wait a few more years. It is an overcharge especially when you can use Waze or Garmin or a number of other mapping systems.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just got my maps upgrade yesterday for my 2016 and then received an email from the dealer today that my 2018 zr2 is supposed to be delivered Monday. I asked if it would have the new update installed and they assured me it would. We’ll see if it really does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
754 Posts
Google Maps are constantly updated and at NO charge. GM maps = pay to (rarely) update.
Easy to decide which one to use.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
There was only one time ever that we upgraded navigation maps - and that was in my husbands Acura. On his Acura - the maps were on a DVD. So you could buy the DVD and slap it in. So, after 6 years of running the original maps...... he bought a DVD that was 2 years old and saved a **** load of $$.

Honestly? You’re only getting updates to new road structure. You’re not getting anything different in how the system works. It’s not a firmware update.

I always say...You don’t need the updates. If you can’t figure it out by looking at the map or re-routing yourself OR by using your phone....... It’s just not worth the $$ (in my oppinions, and I’m directionally challenged).

By the time time I’m ready to get an update, I’ll be ready to buy a new truck.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Map Updates Are Good

The updates are worth it. Mine was $159.95 which was 174.19 with taxes and delivery. I bought the in-dash system so I didn't have to attach anything else to the interior which, in an accident, is a projectile. My mapping in my 2017 Denali has worked very

well. My recommendation is to get the updates for as long as you own the truck.

zoz

·
Registered
487 Posts
I agree that having to pay for updates is crazy for the price we pay for these trucks so I plan on buying updates only every 2-3 years and buy it during late Nov-Dec since they usually have a sale during that time. I love my Garmin that I have used for the past 5+ years and it updates at least twice a year. Hey GM, give us a break and make those updates free or at least cheaper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Received an email for a $99 upgrade deal for my Canyon just now. I was curious to see what people are doing and what the standard price was.

With the CarPlay update, I prefer to use Waze. In the odd event of a closed road I will quickly pop on the built in nav to reroute. Will not be upgrading.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Updates, did the highway move.
Sure burgerking might be a hardies now but why bother

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
If worried about the phone flying around in a bad accident, stick it in the center console and plug it in via the USB port to navigate on screen for free. That is what I do. Problem is I forget my phone and leave it in there sometimes :laugh:

The factory Nav is a good backup in the event I need to navigate, have no service and failed to send the map to my phone beforehand. I do that a lot of sending the map to the phone off my office laptop by the way, use my truck for work and make a lot of stops. It is cool to have them all stacked up on the DIC, ready for navigatin' :smile:

·
Registered
469 Posts
I updated two GM vehicles, 2017 XT5 and 2014 Corvette. Bought each for $99 right from the GM update site:
https://gmnavdisc.navigation.com/en...GKD2dRhx_hj12vYHkg8aAk0bEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The previous program was the original delivered with the vehicle and this update is well worth the $99 cost. I immediately noticed the speed limit updates and changes to the major interchange here in Milwaukee which completed a few months ago. They must have used the project plans which has been under way for the past 5 years.

My 2017 Honda Ridgeline gets free updates using the Garmin update site but it is limited to one per year while standalone Garmin devices get 4 per year. The annual updates are free for 5 years.

It would be nice if the GM updates were free for a period of time, but I can make the choice of annually, every couple of years, or 5 years after new like my Corvette. The GM updates are more expensive to distribute because they are on a USB stick while the Honda updates are downloaded to your own USB. They are all tied to your VIN so are dedicated to a vehicle.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I just got the $99 email, I may wait till I get a $59 email.

·
Registered
432 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I prefer the look of the OEM nav maps over Google/Apple/Waze maps via CarPlay. And on a trip I can have the OBD Fusion app on my phone screen (mounted on A/C vent), while having the car's nav screen on. When using CarPlay the phone screen and vehicle screen always seem to have to be synced together, which is annoying.

I bought my '17 Canyon new just a few months ago, so the map was out of date when I drove it off the lot. I popped for the $99 2019 update, figuring that I'll do that every two years. The latest map has a slightly different screen layout, which I like, but its knowledge of POI's is not great. I frequently find myself searching for a POI that I know exists, but the OEM map system is clueless. Google, of course, always knows what I'm talkin' about, and can direct me.

All in all, though, I have to hand it to the GM engineers for the overall integration of the entertainment/nav/hvac/Intellilink systems; it's a pretty usable setup, especially compared to some of the European cars. But single-zone A/C in a top-end model? My eleven-year-old Ford SportTrac had dual-zone (and power rear sliding glass!).

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
There’s a $59.00 email? If so, I’ll follow your lead and wait for one as well.

I don't know if they are planning on dropping the price from $99 or not. It's a third party supplier, depends on how hungry the are.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.