Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I've read several places about people saying there is a 1 second or so throttle lag in their Diesels. I just picked up a 2018 Duramax zr2 and definitely have not been experiencing that issue.

Is it possible the 2018 transmissions have been reprogramed to correct that issue? Anybody heard anything about this? I mean, I'm not chirping the tires when shifting into 2nd gear or anything, but definitely not pressing the peddle and getting nothing. Seems very responsive all the way through the acceleration to me.

Just thought I'd throw it out there as maybe chevy did some work on the issue.

·
Registered
244 Posts
it comes and goes if you ease into it you wont notice it you stab it youll feel it. Then there is times where its not noticeable at all lol.

I got a 18 zr2

·
Registered
23 Posts
There are only a very loud minority of people complaining about it. I'm almost 2k miles in to my '17 and after adjusting my throttle input very slightly I never notice enough lag to be worried about. Any lag I do experience I attribute to turbo lag which is not enough to worry about as long as I roll into the throttle or load up the throttle while left foot braking. People need to spend less time complaining and more time learning how to drive.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I notice mine depending on the demand, smash it and it's there. Roll into it and it's better. But some people with the 17's should probably not critique other drivers.

Reactions: wonkman

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Same here, did not notice it at first, one time I really needed to go, aggressively rolled in the throttle, and it lagged. I noticed it then! It was like the turbo went on vacation. Don't blame the turbo, blame the EPA. Funny thing is, if you roll in the throttle at the right aggressive but not too aggressive rate, the diesel will really dig out hard from a stop. I have since retrained my brain.

I find the diesel is kick ass in varying speed moving traffic. Say traffic is varying between 30 to 45 mph, and you have an annoying lady in a Subaru, who still has an Obama 2012 sticker on it, who keeps trying to cut in front of you. With it's low end grunt, the diesel nudges ahead and makes fine speed adjustments with little drama. One can casually maintain a tight following distance and stay precisely where they want to be in a line of cars with very little effort, and what feels like "plausible deniability". Oh no, I am not being a dick and not letting you in, it is just working out this way! That Subaru may beat us in a full throttle wind it up drag race, but it is not getting in front of me in this far more subtle scenario unless I let it in. Does doing stuff like this make me an evil man? :laugh:

Reactions: 404 Not Found

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
No lag to me means front end lift from just a slight blip of the pedal. You're not going to get that with our trucks due to the drive by wire torque management. I believe this because I've driven older diesels that jump off the line, do bunny hops etc. The turbo has little to do with it. Even the great Pedal Commander will not solve this. We need the tuning people to find a way if it is possible at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.