Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Colorado Z-71
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2018 Colorado has had a vibration that started at about 5,000 miles. It has been in the shop for about 200 days. They have tried everything but the vibration continues. I have spoken to GM customer service many, many times with no satisfaction. Have tried the Lemon Law. The BBB rep told GM the truck vibrates, but GM said it wasn't bad enough for them to care.

I have sent videos to GM customer service, but they keep saying they don't get my emails, so I am posting a link here. If anyone from GM happens to see them, please let me know if you would accept a vehicle that shakes like mine does

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
How many miles is on yoour truck/
I checked your other post, and it seems you stated one time that the vibration started at 85,000 miles

You have described it as a vibration and 2 different dealers have not found anything and one of the dealer said, after they had it for 120 days, it is you AT tires? What tires are you running?

I see you had a clunk and they replaced the bushings in your leaf springs 2 months ago

·
Registered
2018 Colorado Z-71
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. I will work on that link. Sorry.

No Hunter, the vibration started at less than 5,000 miles. It has 63,000 now. On my 3rd set of the Goodyear tires that came with truck when new.

The first garage replaced the transmission fluid a couple of times and replaced the torque convertor. It didn't fix the vibration, but they stopped admitting there was a problem.

The second garage found the vibration immediately and tried everything, but it still shakes. You are right, they did replace the leaf spring bushings, though.

Does anyone know how to fix the link to my Google Photo album? Or is there a better way to share my videos?

·
Registered
2018 Colorado Z-71
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm hoping this link will take you to the videos that show my 2018 Colorado vibrating while being driven at various speeds.

Colorado Shakes

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
when you look out your mirrors at the rear tires are they bouncing?
When You check the front tires are they bouncing?

Per the videos it is not a transmission issue, maybe a drive line issue

take it to a good shop (not a GM dealer)and tell them that it vibrates at what ever speed, and ask them to put it on a lift with some one in it and run it to see where the vibration is coming from.

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
391 Posts
Somebody had a similar problem which ended up being the rear axle gears being badly sheared. He described it as coming from the front right but it was the rear pumpkin.

·
Registered
2018 Colorado Z-71
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
when you look out your mirrors at the rear tires are they bouncing?
When You check the front tires are they bouncing?

Per the videos it is not a transmission issue, maybe a drive line issue

take it to a good shop (not a GM dealer)and tell them that it vibrates at what ever speed, and ask them to put it on a lift with some one in it and run it to see where the vibration is coming from.
I can't see the tires bouncing Hunter, but I have put the truck in neutral while it's vibrating and it continues to shake....that's gotta mean something, I guess.

MrCamo, the second garage said they found metal shavings in the differential, and claimed they replaced the entire rear end, brakes and all, from side to side. They did all sorts of balancing of the tires, tried new tires, both street and all terrain, from new trucks on the lot. In the end, they said the vibration is not present with street tires. I had just bought new tires from them, and I'm not good with replacing them with street tires for my Z-71 truck. It shouldn't vibrate like this with the same exact tires they put on it when new. Right?

By the way, thank you guys for helping. This forum is the best.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
okay, we did not know the whole story in the first place...

to answer your question, yes. There are guys on here who have bought a set of tires just like they had an have had one tire or severl of them with an issue, That is why I said to take it to a non-dealer good shop and put it on a rack and run it up to 70-80mph. Could be as simple as a broken belt in a tire, or since you have had the whole drive train torn apart, who knows now...

·
Registered
2018 2wd 3.6L CCSB WT
239 Posts
...and you are disobeying the law.
I drive 80 for several hundered miles at a time quite often and the suggested speed limit is 75mph, my truck does not shake at 90mph either,,,
We have many miles of interstate highway here in Texas where the posted speed limit is 85 MPH. I drive 50,000 miles a year and have done 90 MPH in my Colorado for several hours and it is smooth as butter. Watching the first couple videos I just thought the OP was being ridiculous, until I watched the one with the water bottle. He definitely has a problem....

·
Registered
2018 Colorado Z-71
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
okay, we did not know the whole story in the first place...

to answer your question, yes. There are guys on here who have bought a set of tires just like they had an have had one tire or severl of them with an issue, That is why I said to take it to a non-dealer good shop and put it on a rack and run it up to 70-80mph. Could be as simple as a broken belt in a tire, or since you have had the whole drive train torn apart, who knows now...
Hunter, I had never heard anyone complain about the Goodyear Wrangler tires. What you are saying sounds reasonable, but this is the 3rd set of new tires on this truck. The vibration has been there through all three sets, and the "frequency" of the vibration has never changed.

The good news is that GM customer service has finally acknowledged seeing the videos. I'm really anxious to hear what they have to say after all this time. Will let you know what happens. Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Colorado Z-71
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We have many miles of interstate highway here in Texas where the posted speed limit is 85 MPH. I drive 50,000 miles a year and have done 90 MPH in my Colorado for several hours and it is smooth as butter. Watching the first couple videos I just thought the OP was being ridiculous, until I watched the one with the water bottle. He definitely has a problem....
Thanks Roosterman. The first video was recorded in 2019 and shows the black leather bag I use for work. It clearly shows a zipper on the bag bouncing and rattling. If you turn up the volume, you can hear what I have been putting up with, all day long, 6 days a week, for over two years....other than the 200 or so days the truck has been in the shop.

One of the videos was recorded while driving an Acadia loaner. If you watch that video, you will see that the ride in the Acadia is "as smooth as butter". Compare the difference and you will see that I am not being ridiculous at all.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thanks Roosterman. The first video was recorded in 2019 and shows the black leather bag I use for work. It clearly shows a zipper on the bag bouncing and rattling. If you turn up the volume, you can hear what I have been putting up with, all day long, 6 days a week, for over two years....other than the 200 or so days the truck has been in the shop.

One of the videos was recorded while driving an Acadia loaner. If you watch that video, you will see that the ride in the Acadia is "as smooth as butter". Compare the difference and you will see that I am not being ridiculous at all.

Man that's one hell of an annoying vibration. I'm surprised you've put up with it this long. I would have been camping on GM's doorstep until they got it fixed or replaced the truck. I can run at 80 and no vibration whatsoever on my 2018. Keep up the fight before your time runs out on the warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2018 Colorado has had a vibration that started at about 5,000 miles. It has been in the shop for about 200 days. They have tried everything but the vibration continues. I have spoken to GM customer service many, many times with no satisfaction. Have tried the Lemon Law. The BBB rep told GM the truck vibrates, but GM said it wasn't bad enough for them to care.

I have sent videos to GM customer service, but they keep saying they don't get my emails, so I am posting a link here. If anyone from GM happens to see them, please let me know if you would accept a vehicle that shakes like mine does

https://photos.app.goo.gl/B4jS4yyfe3MAW6cG6
I had a similar issue with my 2018, turns out it was an issue with the fuel pump.... some bushing at the firewall was never installed and it shook the crap out of the truck and got worse with high speeds. Had to do a dash removal to fix it at like 5500 miles.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts