Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the door lock problem on my 2015. The locks would seem to cycle on and off. The light came on indicating the door was open-usually the left, occasionally the right.

The dealer couldn’t replicate the problem, but it went away after the battery was disconnected and reconnected, and after the bolts around the doors were first loosened and then re-tightened.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Dad just settled his 2018 Colorado ZR1 LL claim (AZ) after 7 months. Woke up one morning in May to find the windows down and the truck was dead as a door nail. We tried to jump start it with my ‘18 Canyon and zilch. Had it sent to the dealer on a flatbed and never saw it run again. Dealership had replaced module after module until they gave up and had the GM region tech take a look who had nothing. GM dragged it out until my pops lawyered up and 6 months later he’s being told to go look for another vehicle. He’s fortunate to be retired and not reliant on the vehicle like the 99% of us typically are. Bottom line is LL claims require a level of patience akin to Buddhism so be prepared. I‘ve learned the valuable lesson of “have a fallback transportation plan” from his LL experience.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I recommend that you google you state's Lemon law. In my case I had an A/C that would freeze up on all 2 hour trips and frequently would also freeze up on shorter trips. The worst was when it was 117 F outside and I had to roll down the windows and turn the AC off to defrost it.

In California, the lemon law says that they have 3 attempts to fix it and/or a max of "x" days out of service (i.e., in the shop) and they have to buy it back or replace it. In my case they made 3 or 4 attempts to fix it and at the end said that GM knew of the problem but did not (yet) have a solution.

I had 4K miles on it when I first reported it (I bought it in December and it took that long for the warm weather to arrive). I sold it back to GM at 17K miles. But interestingly, the depreciation "clock" stopped at 4K miles. So the formula that they used for the buy back price was the original price (including taxes, licensing and delivery) minus 4K/125K. (the 125K number assumes zero replacement value at 125K miles). So I got close to 96% of my purchase price back.

If you've modified the vehicle that could be a problem. In my case I had to return the vehicle in its original factory configuration. So I had to take off the topper, the bed liner, and the running boards.

Read your state's Lemon laws.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'll say, GM is hard to deal with and in my experience has a bad customer service. Lawyer is your best bet IMHO. Lemon Law will pay the lawyer fees.

It would be cheaper for GM not to pay a lawyer and to deal with customers, but they don't want to do it that way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I mean at this point I dont really care what the problem is, I want out of the vehicle that they cant fix and cant figure out what the cause is. They have taken the doors off and traced the wires at the third repair visit and found nothing except a little water in a connection which they blew out and taped up- but that didnt even slow the problem down.

Ultimately its a brand new truck that has had more problems then is acceptable within the warranty.
I’m with you! Try and get another one. I did not think to try a Lemmon approach to the lemon I bought in 2016. It’s been constant sensor failures, particulate filter issues, turbo replacement, engine parts falling off, been in shop two months waiting in gasket. Good luck. Keep us informed of progress please.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello all,

I have read through some of the forum posts about other lemons and just wanted to see if anyone has been through the same problem/what your outcome was and if anyone has any advice.

Purchased new 2018 Chevy Colorado April 2018. Within just a few months (about 4000 miles) the locks would repeatedly cycle- this is both annoying and worrisome- as come to find out we have no idea what is causing it. At the time there were a few other issues with the vehicle like the sound of running water under the passenger dashboard as well. First repair attempt they had it for 10 days. Since the problem is seemingly random and intermittent it can be hard to replicate but they did get the problem to happen. No idea the cause but did a software update which seemed to fix it per the dealer.

A month or two and the problem began to happen again. Being lazy and not wanting to go back to the dealer to quickly I waited several more months which saw an increasing frequency of the problem. Took it back, they took the doors off and found a loose connection. Get the truck back and immediately the problem continued.

A few weeks later took it back for a third repair- this time they only kept it for several days and could not get it to replicate so sent it home. The running water under the dash had returned and was again addressed.

Sent a notice to GM/Chevy- they got in contact and scheduled the final repair attempt 4 weeks from then.

Took it into final repair attempt at which they kept the truck for 12 days- 2 days longer then they should have which I allowed because I would have preferred the problem just have been fixed. Told me they replaced a control module which was the first part replacement on the vehicle for this problem and said problem fixed. Literally within 48hrs of getting the truck back the problem began again- seemingly worse then before.

GM calls to ask how the vehicle is doing after its final repair- I tell them the problem is still going on. The representative told me to take it back into the dealership for repair- to which I refused because it had its FINAL repair attempt. She said if I wouldn't take it for repair she would just close my case and if I am not satisfied I can re-open a case with the BBB. So the same day I open the same case with the BBB, am assigned a new adviser who asks me how I want to handle the problem. I told her I would like a replacement vehicle or buy-back of the truck, I don't want to keep it since they cant fix it and we dont know what else this may be affecting. She said ok, give her 3-5 days to get it sorted out. Fast forward to TWO WEEKS later and they offer a component coverage extension. No buy-back, no replacement. I reject the offer and let them know we will be going through the BBB arbitration which is now scheduled for December 10th.

I have all repair orders, videos of the problem happening after each repair attempt, witnesses, and the truck is just now at 12,800 miles and a year and a half old. I quite frankly am amazed they wouldn't offer a settlement and at how combative they have been. If I am forced to go through all this and arbitration I certainly will never buy another GM vehicle whereas if they had just settled I would have given them another shot with a replacement vehicle.

Any advice or insight is appreciated!
You should watch “Zebra Corner” o YouTube. That should put GM products into perspective.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought
Hello all,

I have read through some of the forum posts about other lemons and just wanted to see if anyone has been through the same problem/what your outcome was and if anyone has any advice.

Purchased new 2018 Chevy Colorado April 2018. Within just a few months (about 4000 miles) the locks would repeatedly cycle- this is both annoying and worrisome- as come to find out we have no idea what is causing it. At the time there were a few other issues with the vehicle like the sound of running water under the passenger dashboard as well. First repair attempt they had it for 10 days. Since the problem is seemingly random and intermittent it can be hard to replicate but they did get the problem to happen. No idea the cause but did a software update which seemed to fix it per the dealer.

A month or two and the problem began to happen again. Being lazy and not wanting to go back to the dealer to quickly I waited several more months which saw an increasing frequency of the problem. Took it back, they took the doors off and found a loose connection. Get the truck back and immediately the problem continued.

A few weeks later took it back for a third repair- this time they only kept it for several days and could not get it to replicate so sent it home. The running water under the dash had returned and was again addressed.

Sent a notice to GM/Chevy- they got in contact and scheduled the final repair attempt 4 weeks from then.

Took it into final repair attempt at which they kept the truck for 12 days- 2 days longer then they should have which I allowed because I would have preferred the problem just have been fixed. Told me they replaced a control module which was the first part replacement on the vehicle for this problem and said problem fixed. Literally within 48hrs of getting the truck back the problem began again- seemingly worse then before.

GM calls to ask how the vehicle is doing after its final repair- I tell them the problem is still going on. The representative told me to take it back into the dealership for repair- to which I refused because it had its FINAL repair attempt. She said if I wouldn't take it for repair she would just close my case and if I am not satisfied I can re-open a case with the BBB. So the same day I open the same case with the BBB, am assigned a new adviser who asks me how I want to handle the problem. I told her I would like a replacement vehicle or buy-back of the truck, I don't want to keep it since they cant fix it and we dont know what else this may be affecting. She said ok, give her 3-5 days to get it sorted out. Fast forward to TWO WEEKS later and they offer a component coverage extension. No buy-back, no replacement. I reject the offer and let them know we will be going through the BBB arbitration which is now scheduled for December 10th.

I have all repair orders, videos of the problem happening after each repair attempt, witnesses, and the truck is just now at 12,800 miles and a year and a half old. I quite frankly am amazed they wouldn't offer a settlement and at how combative they have been. If I am forced to go through all this and arbitration I certainly will never buy another GM vehicle whereas if they had just settled I would have given them another shot with a replacement vehicle.

Any advice or insight is appreciated!
I bought a 2018 Colorado and....NEVER AGAIN. Between the poor quality, the horrible service and the joke of Chevy customer service....I will NEVER buy a Chevy again.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts