Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, according to my GM service tech, I am the first ZR2 reported to GM engineers to have this issue. I noticed while driving the other day that my Rear Locker was clearly engaged despite me not hitting the button and the indicator light, or OFF ROAD screen indicating that it was. I got it to the dealership today and they put me in a loaner until they can get parts. It looks like they are going to rebuild the entire rear end because there is no obvious indication as to what is causing this.

That is all the information that I have so far, will update as I hear more.

If I ever get it back, I have to post some photos of the truck, and the amazing cargo shelf Browneye made for me.

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Had you had the locker engaged prior to finding out it is engaged? Like maybe it never dis-engaged when it should have
Did you noticed it locked up while turning or when? Just wondering so I might look for the issue.Thanks

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had you had the locker engaged prior to finding out it is engaged? Like maybe it never dis-engaged when it should have
Did you noticed it locked up while turning or when? Just wondering so I might look for the issue.Thanks
The rear locker had not been used for several days and I am sure it had disengaged when I turned it off last time. I had gotten up to drive to a service call, and thought the rear end felt like it was dragging around corners and curves like it was locked. I mean, to me, even on a straight piece of road, you can feel the difference between the locker being turned on or off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know that this is a different animal, but I had my 2016 G80 Z71 lock up on me last winter. Stayed locked all the way downstate, and no amount of backing up/going forward tight right/left turns /etc.. would unlock. Took it in the next day and they could not find anything wrong with it, guess it had unlocked on the trip home. Did you notice if the 'X' was indicated on your off road screen when it was locked...???? I just locked mine today in 2WD [under 20mph].... did not know we could do that.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that this is a different animal, but I had my 2016 G80 Z71 lock up on me last winter. Stayed locked all the way downstate, and no amount of backing up/going forward tight right/left turns /etc.. would unlock. Took it in the next day and they could not find anything wrong with it, guess it had unlocked on the trip home. Did you notice if the 'X' was indicated on your off road screen when it was locked...???? I just locked mine today in 2WD [under 20mph].... did not know we could do that.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The X indicator in the off road screen was not there. As far as the trucks computer was concerned the rear axle was unlocked.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Who is working on the truck? Is it burns?
No it is not. I took it to Lancaster Motor Company where I know some of the staff. Burns used to be my dealer of choice as I am 10 minutes away, but in the last three years something there has changed. I have had bad experience after bad experience, a few months ago it got bad enough that I decided the drive to Lancaster was worth it not to have to deal with them.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I didn't have that exact issue but had a locker switch issue instead. My dealer replaced one or both locker switches. The front locker switch would only engage once out of about ten tries. Once locked, same thing. It would only disengage the locker after repeated tries. The truck's lockers work perfectly after replacement.

·
Registered
91 Posts
No it is not. I took it to Lancaster Motor Company where I know some of the staff. Burns used to be my dealer of choice as I am 10 minutes away, but in the last three years something there has changed. I have had bad experience after bad experience, a few months ago it got bad enough that I decided the drive to Lancaster was worth it not to have to deal with them.
Lol, had problems with them years ago and no longer go there. One of my buddies just started as a tech there and still don't go there. I use the dealer here in york and not had any problems.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As of today I have tried to reach out to the GM executive office. This Friday will make three weeks we have been waiting on parts to fix my truck. First they were going to send an entire rear end, then I was told they were going to send just the magnets for the locker to try to fix it. As of today the service tech could not tell me what they were sending or when it would even get here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.