Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
261 - 280 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
In your shoes, I would be concerned too except if it was either of the two reported issues, wrist pin failure or injector failure, I would be fairly confident that GM's supplier had addressed the cause.

At least that's what I'd tell myself...
That is certainly my hope. These problems have been cropping up for a few years now (even if only in just a handful of trucks)-there really is no way that GM would not understand by now what the problem is. I find it doubtful that they would not have addressed the issue in newer engines. It may be a blessing in disguise that my engine failed prior to the warrantee expiration rather than 5K later. Would have been nice if it had done so while I was closer to home though....

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's what I had thought too. My coworkers BMW suffered a Bosch injection pump failure that wiped out the entire fuel system. In our case , I thought that couldn't happen because a change was made to prevent an entire fuel system failure if the IP failed.

Is that correct? I know there are aftermarket kits for the big Duramax to address that possibility.
I don't know that one could say that that can not happen in our trucks but I have not heard of these Denso units failing in the way the Bosch CP4s have been.
Bosch is typically known that make very good equipment, so is Denso. Just goes to show that no manufacture is perfect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The whole fuel system wasn't changed. Different Denso injectors and the cylinder head was updated to accept the new injectors. Apparently the new injectors are rated for higher pressure but GM is leaving the rail pressure the same.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
According to ac delco parts and rock auto 2021's used both 55504598 the new version and 55594509 the original version.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
According to ac delco parts and rock auto 2021's used both 55504598 the new version and 55594509 the original version.
The change happened around the 2019 model year, IIRC. The injectors aren't interchangeable, so anything that says both are still used is incorrect.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
That is certainly my hope. These problems have been cropping up for a few years now (even if only in just a handful of trucks)-there really is no way that GM would not understand by now what the problem is. I find it doubtful that they would not have addressed the issue in newer engines. It may be a blessing in disguise that my engine failed prior to the warrantee expiration rather than 5K later. Would have been nice if it had done so while I was closer to home though....
While the problems have been popping up, they all appear to be trucks built several years back. I don't remember seeing any newer models, say 2019 and newer, having these problems.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Just found it strange they both list old number for 16,17, and 18's,new number for 19 and 20's,but both numbers for 2021.
2021 is new enough that parts catalogs are likely bugged or incomplete. Previous part numbers are 16-19, new are 20-up.

Reactions: splitting_lanes

·
Registered
34 Posts
While the problems have been popping up, they all appear to be trucks built several years back. I don't remember seeing any newer models, say 2019 and newer, having these problems.
Seems like most of the failures are happening in the 40-60K mileage range. My 2017 failed only a few weeks ago, I put on pretty average miles, about 14K/year. These newer trucks might not have enough miles yet.
I hope they have fixed the issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2018 ZR2 bit the dust in March. Had 26000 on the clock. Passed a car on a two lane going about 70mph with my foot in it and started hearing a ticking.

Progressively got louder, and I called the dealer for them to make an apt to look at it. They were not concerned and make me a apt about a week out. Drove it home about 30 miles. Next morning, got in it to drive to work. Heck they were not worried about it, so why was I?

Anyways, made it into town about 5 miles, and doing 30mph when the motor let go.

Towed to dealer. They had a new motor there for it in two weeks, and 3 months later, they could not fix it.

I was sick!!!!! Thought I'd have that truck for ever.

Traded for a 2021, and got a gas this time. No more diesels for me. Every aspect of that diesel sucks ass. I do miss the torque, gearing, and that tranny.

This 8 speed sucks. And 3.42????? These gears suck.

Tuned with Trifecta last week, helped alot, but really needs new gears to run right.

I do not like this 21 as well as my 18. Loved that big bowtie on the front and back thats now gone.

I hope the 2023's see an improvement on looks, I'd like to send this 2021 packing.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My 2018 ZR2 bit the dust in March. Had 26000 on the clock. Passed a car on a two lane going about 70mph with my foot in it and started hearing a ticking.

Progressively got louder, and I called the dealer for them to make an apt to look at it. They were not concerned and make me a apt about a week out. Drove it home about 30 miles. Next morning, got in it to drive to work. Heck they were not worried about it, so why was I?

Anyways, made it into town about 5 miles, and doing 30mph when the motor let go.

Towed to dealer. They had a new motor there for it in two weeks, and 3 months later, they could not fix it.

I was sick!!!!! Thought I'd have that truck for ever.

Traded for a 2021, and got a gas this time. No more diesels for me. Every aspect of that diesel sucks ass. I do miss the torque, gearing, and that tranny.

This 8 speed sucks. And 3.42????? These gears suck.

Tuned with Trifecta last week, helped alot, but really needs new gears to run right.

I do not like this 21 as well as my 18. Loved that big bowtie on the front and back thats now gone.

I hope the 2023's see an improvement on looks, I'd like to send this 2021 packing.
In 3 months the dealership was not competent enough to change out the engine?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Nope!

Hella frustrating because they wouldnt trade with me until it was fixed! But they finally did because they knew how pissed I was they couldnt fix it.
Damn, I’d be pissed also. I really enjoy my truck and like you were, am hoping to have it for many years.
Were you running any fuel additives?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Damn, I’d be pissed also. I really enjoy my truck and like you were, am hoping to have it for many years.
Were you running any fuel additives?

Nope, just bone stock 2.8L with fuel from town. They never said the cause of the engine failure to me, frankly, I didnt care, just wanted a new truck. They had that whole front end apart to get that motor out. I wanted to be the first to turn the wrenches, not them.

·
Registered
741 Posts
If one of these lets go out of warranty, I wonder if you can get away with a new piston and new injector, I'm sure depending on where the hole is and if it affected the cylinder. There shouldn't be much metal, the pump pickup screen would catch any big pieces and the filter would catch the rest, assuming it even picked any up in the probably less than a minute it would take for someone to pull over and turn it off. I just wonder if the over pressurization actually damages the crank seals, or just pushes oil past them but they're ok.

But what I'm starting to take from this thread is, a new ticking sound is something to be checked out immediately.

261 - 280 of 330 Posts