Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2017 Colorado just suffered a catastrophic engine failure last week at 55K miles. It started out as a slight ticking sound in the morning as I headed back home to Washington from a visit in Utah. About a 1/3 of the way into the trip it quickly progressed to a severe knock. Pulled over and had it towed to the nearest dealer. The dealer says it needs a new engine, have not given a definitive failure mode. My guess based on the sound and how it went down would be a rod failure.
Truck was bone stock, well maintained. Some light (3000K lb) towing for maybe 2000 miles of its life.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Was oil pouring out the bottom of the motor after you pulled over?
No. Engine was still running and had no external signs of failure. It just had a very sever knock at that point. My engine failure seems different from other reports I have heard of baby Duramax engine failure. It seems in the other cases there was no prior indication of problems and engine literally blew up. Mine had a tick (like a bad lifter) prior to, which them suddenly transitioned to a sever knock w/o coming apart (at least not externally). I did not try re-starting the engine but I am under the impression that it would have.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It could be related. IMO it would more likely be secondary to piston meltdown. I am personally wary of pin failure reports. YMMV.

Do keep us posted, though dealers are usually less than expert and usually not allowed to tear down.
There was a tick that started a few hundred miles prior to the sever knock, which likely indicates some slop in a bearing. There was not noticeable change in performance, CEL or any other indication of an issue apart from the tick. I agree that it would be odd for an engine to lose a piston pin-although pins don't typically go bad either. Either way, this is not something that should happen to a fairly new, stock, well maintained engine.
I am not super optimistic that the dealer is going to tell me or even know what failed. So far all I have gotten from them is that there was an internal failure and that they have ordered a new engine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not usually. Wrist pins are typically super strong and don't break unless it has a flaw.
I am pretty sure nothing actually "broke" but if a wrist pin did not get sufficient oil would not the bearing surfaces associated with that wrist pin not fail? These surfaces are splash lubricated rather than pressure lubricated like the other major bearings, right? Seems like that would leave them a little more vulnerable to lubrication issues.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It could be related. IMO it would more likely be secondary to piston meltdown. I am personally wary of pin failure reports. YMMV.

Do keep us posted, though dealers are usually less than expert and usually not allowed to tear down.
Just talked to the dealer-they said that GM does not have them open the motor, SO I may never know what actually failed.
They did say that a new engine should arrive by Friday though-that will be two and a half weeks after the failure. Hopefully have it in a week or so later?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The surfaces could definitely get messed up, but that's a lot different than breaking. If lubrication failed the wrist pin would not typically be the first thing to go. A big end rod bearing has a lot more movement than the wrist pin and would likely fail first.

Again, I don't think anything actually "broke". Based on how it was running it would appear there was excessive play in a bearing. When it was ticking the noise seemed to be coming from the head area-which would indicate a piston pin over a rod end. I doubt the rod bearing lost lubrication but I can definitely see a few ways that wrist pin lubrication cold be compromised.

The interesting part of this is that the dealer would just write of an entire engine as dead without even looking inside!? In any event please let us know what the bill will be.
It is GM that warranties the engine. The dealer just does what GM tells them to do. It was clear when I shut the truck down that there was a significant internal failure that was not going to be fixed without an engine rebuild. I don't believe that GM would have a dealer rebuild a failed engine-I certainly would not want them too. The more prudent way to handle the issue is to replace the engine with a new one. I suspect GM will take possession of the engine and do their own analysis.
I really want to know what failed and why-but I do not suspect I will get that option. It leaves me a little nervous as to how long this new engine will last.
The dealer said this is a warranty repair so it should cost me nothing. If it was not, I would deal with the engine myself. Because this failed on the road, 600 miles from home, there will likely be about $1000 in costs associated with travel and a few lost days of my personal time by the time I have my truck back. Not to mention not having the truck for a month+.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What dealer is it at. I worked at GM and know some reps that could get an answer to failure. GM doesn't usually send out engines unless they have info on what failed. Would be strange if dealer tells GM that there is a noise and they jump to sending a new one based on that alone.
No history of you posting until now , so not sure of the rest of trucks history, or if you bought new or used, your first post being a blown engine, so a little shy right now, After the 3 other trolls chiming in about a blown engine, and no other evidence or feedback after they were called out.
True-I have not posted here before.
Bought the truck new. Live in the Puget Sound area. Truck is in Twin Falls, ID.
Truck is a crew cab, Z71 long bed. No mods.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Reason why I brought this up, when I lost my engine, bad injector holed my piston, pressurized the crankcase and I was losing oil from the seals on the motor. The dealer, in the process of diagnosis, ended up removing the cylinder head to finally verify the hole in the #1 piston.

It is curious that GM and/or the dealer isn't digging deeper into the engine to verify some kind of mechanical failure before just replacing the engine under warranty unless it is something really obvious.

I would straight up ask the dealer what the failure is. I can't believe that they wouldn't tell you.

See if you can find out. It would be helpful to document it here online.

edit...my engine failure was, as of right now, just over 2 yrs and about 25k miles ago. Original failed at 48k miles. This engine seems to be better than my original, in that it doesn't lose ANY oil between oil changes, where my original engine was down at least a quart to almost 2 quarts between oil changes.
I asked directly (twice) what had failed. The first time I got an "I don't know-there was an internal failure" and the 2nd time "GM did not have us open it up" obviously they did a little more troubleshooting than they have shared. However, having driven the vehicle, there was little question that the engine needed to be replaced.
I am very interested in knowing what failed. As an engineer, that is what I do-determine failure modes and work out a course of cation to correct and prevent future failures. I intend to keep this truck for many hundreds of thousands of miles. I am not interesting in seeing this new engine fail at anything thing less than 250K. With the first one having failed at 55K with no modifications and very good maintenance I am a little concerned. I really like this truck-I am hoping that I can count on it in the future.
When your injector went out, what kind of indications where associated with that? Any? Was the injector stuck open or just developed a bad pattern that created a hot spot?
My engine seemed to run very well. I did not lose much oil-less than a quart.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was thinking about that scenario too. If the IP did go or it was related to a failing injector the hole in the piston scenario sure makes sense as another potential pathway to failure. That would bring up the question of fuel additives and the question as to whether they were or were not being used. Just amazing that the dealer would not let you know the scoop.
No additives-as per the owners manual.
No indication of the IP going out. Engine ran just fine for quite a while once the ticking started w/ no CELS or any other indication of a problem. I had read about IPs going out and making a load ticking sound-when I checked the engine (several times actually) the ticking was most definitely coming from the top, front of the engine, not the IP.
I doubt there was a hole in my piston. I would have expected a some sort of CEL, excessive soot, excessive case pressure, etc. A bad injector could result in a ticking sound but I would have expected that to affect the performance of the engine.
Certainly it is possible, but with the indications I saw, a bad wrist pin associated bearing or other rod bearing type problem seems more likely.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In your shoes, I would be concerned too except if it was either of the two reported issues, wrist pin failure or injector failure, I would be fairly confident that GM's supplier had addressed the cause.

At least that's what I'd tell myself...
That is certainly my hope. These problems have been cropping up for a few years now (even if only in just a handful of trucks)-there really is no way that GM would not understand by now what the problem is. I find it doubtful that they would not have addressed the issue in newer engines. It may be a blessing in disguise that my engine failed prior to the warrantee expiration rather than 5K later. Would have been nice if it had done so while I was closer to home though....

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's what I had thought too. My coworkers BMW suffered a Bosch injection pump failure that wiped out the entire fuel system. In our case , I thought that couldn't happen because a change was made to prevent an entire fuel system failure if the IP failed.

Is that correct? I know there are aftermarket kits for the big Duramax to address that possibility.
I don't know that one could say that that can not happen in our trucks but I have not heard of these Denso units failing in the way the Bosch CP4s have been.
Bosch is typically known that make very good equipment, so is Denso. Just goes to show that no manufacture is perfect.

·
Registered
34 Posts
While the problems have been popping up, they all appear to be trucks built several years back. I don't remember seeing any newer models, say 2019 and newer, having these problems.
Seems like most of the failures are happening in the 40-60K mileage range. My 2017 failed only a few weeks ago, I put on pretty average miles, about 14K/year. These newer trucks might not have enough miles yet.
I hope they have fixed the issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If they don't know what is wrong with it, make sure they replace everything new, including injectors , fuel rail ect. How do they know it wasn't a bad injector, or fuel contamination that caused failure. Very strange indeed. Curious too see if they change just the engine, at that point you would think they knew it wasn't fuel or turbo related.
I believe they just do what GM tells them to do.
I suspect that GM has a very good idea what is wrong-they are just not sharing that information.
As I understand it, the whole engine is being replaced-long block, injectors, turbo, etc. Saying that, I don't know that for sure. We'll have that conversation next time I speak with the dealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got the truck back a week ago. Seems to run well now. GM even shipped it to me from the dealer 600 miles away-which was nice.
According to the work order, the No.1 piston was broken and had scored the cylinder walls. Metal debris in the pan and in the filter.

They replaced the entire engine assembly. This appears to include the long block including injectors, fuel rail and the EGR cooler. It does not include the turbo or IP.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts