Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had a 2016 Colorado LT and hated the 6 speed transmission, so I upgraded to the 2017 with the new 8 speed and love it. But, by getting the WT, I've lost my steering wheel controls. I've been searching for days to try to figure out if I use a 2015 steering wheel (with the front audio controls) on my 2017 WT with the new 7" MyLink, would the steering wheel audio controls work? I wouldn't mind paying the shop to software update the truck for the new steering wheel, but will the new controls even work? Has anyone done this? This is the steering wheel in question. 2015 Colorado Canyon Steering Wheel Ebony Black Leather OEM 2331084 New 23376203 | eBay I can't seem to find a 2016 or 17 steering wheel (with the back audio controls) anywhere at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
850 Posts
From what I understand the controls won't work because there controlled by the bcm ill look and see if I can find the thread there is a thread on here with the same question

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sorry, the steering wheel controls will not work on the truck.

I got the exact same steering wheel for my '16 WT for the sole purpose of the leather wrapped wheel. I investigated using the front mounted controls because I liked them better than the rear mounted controls. You would have to have the rear mounted control steering wheel, have a custom programmed LT gauge cluster, and do some custom wiring to get this to work. However, you'd also have to change out the turn signal switch as well as the one you currently have will not work on the upgraded LT gauge cluster.

After my research, I'd have to invest more than a LT optioned truck would cost. I'll wait till my company upgrades my truck again next year to get an LT.

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
This info may or may not help you, as it was stated that the BCM was somehow changed on the 17 from how it used/read the radio controls. But, here is the deal.

My 2016 was literally days old when I ripped the entire stock radio system out. I spent countless hours working with Crutchfields and PAC Audio (who makes the interface) to figure out my steering wheel controls. PAC STILL to this date (almost 2 years) has STILL not updated their instructions, which I repeatedly tried to get them to fix (they are showing how to tie in to the LIN wire using the Silverado's wiring diagram and picture as their example, which is a totally different animal than the Colorado) but, together with a couple of the Crutchfield's techs, it was finally figured out. (I have the correct picture or what wire to tie in somewhere here on the forums but will tear apart my setup if need be to help anyone out)

Having said that, the one thing about the PAC module was....the ability to totally reprogram the steering wheel controls to use whatever buttons you want for whatever different items you needed. http://pac-audio.com/index.php?controller=attachment&id_attachment=813

Sadly, this module is not cheap, https://www.crutchfield.com/p_541RP...a&awnw=g&awcr=47741395465&awdv=c&awug=9003551 so it wouldnt be prudent to just buy it for testing purposes......but just because the techs at GM say it wont work, doesnt mean it wont.

As much as I have heard that what I did on my 2016 can NOT be done on the 2017s.....Im gonna call BS on that since a simple check on Crutchfields site clearly shows if I bought the same items I did for the 16 into a 17....they all still show up as being doable.

It would be prudent in my mind to give Crutchfields a call....if anyone can give you a straight answer, Im sure they can.

Reactions: zach4ku

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks to everyone who replied! That was my first post ever on ColoradoFans, and I didn't expect to get any responses that quickly. My BMW forums take weeks for someone to reply with a suitable answer. Anyway, I remembered reading a similar post to mine weeks ago, but couldn't for the life of me find it again. I'm wondering if anyone has tried swapping steering wheels on the 2017. Since the radio interface is completely different than the '15 and '16, I'm guessing other components have changed as well. I had a loaner '17 Equinox today, with the same MyLink package and dash cluster screen, and it had steering wheel radio controls. Maybe I will be able to accomplish what i want with a 2016 or '17 steering wheel with the rear mounted radio controls?

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
Wow, thanks to everyone who replied! That was my first post ever on ColoradoFans, and I didn't expect to get any responses that quickly.
LOL....yea, this isnt some defunct forum board. It is extremely active and has been for a great long time.

As for your setup..... while it would take a couple of hours to swap parts back and forth, Id be willing to use my parts in a 2017 to give it a whirl to check 1st hand if things could be made to work. Naturally....beer would have to flow. The only drawback is.....I aint in Kansas anymore Toto. :roll::rofl

But the offer still goes for anyone local to me.

PS....would LOVE to see if the 8" screen could work in one of the models that only had the 4" screen.......mine was only a few days old and is still brand new and just sitting all nicely wrapped up if I ever got un-lazy and posted it up for sale. :wink2:

Reactions: zach4ku

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, the steering wheel controls will not work on the truck.

I got the exact same steering wheel for my '16 WT for the sole purpose of the leather wrapped wheel. I investigated using the front mounted controls because I liked them better than the rear mounted controls. You would have to have the rear mounted control steering wheel, have a custom programmed LT gauge cluster, and do some custom wiring to get this to work. However, you'd also have to change out the turn signal switch as well as the one you currently have will not work on the upgraded LT gauge cluster.

After my research, I'd have to invest more than a LT optioned truck would cost. I'll wait till my company upgrades my truck again next year to get an LT.
I'm wondering how you were able to verify this. There are WTs out there that were ordered with a monochromatic DIC and steering wheel controls. I have already installed the 2015 wheel and had GM tell me that they would try the BCM update to see if the controls would enable, but can guarantee that they will. They want $180 regardless if it works or not. I don't want to make the same mistake if this is something that you, or someone else, has done already.

It's kind of frustrating how easy it is to make factory steering wheel controls work with after market radios, but not with factory radios!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm wondering how you were able to verify this. There are WTs out there that were ordered with a monochromatic DIC and steering wheel controls. I have already installed the 2015 wheel and had GM tell me that they would try the BCM update to see if the controls would enable, but can guarantee that they will. They want $180 regardless if it works or not. I don't want to make the same mistake if this is something that you, or someone else, has done already.

It's kind of frustrating how easy it is to make factory steering wheel controls work with after market radios, but not with factory radios!
I verified this through Welcome to White Auto and Media Services . They did the LT steering wheel w/ control install and color DIC install on a Silverado. Per them, you'd have to put in a '16 steering wheel with the radio controls on the back of the steering wheel so you can use the right side front buttons for the DIC. You'd also have to swap in the color LT DIC.

The local GM dealer tried to program my truck for the radio buttons with no luck. They worked on it for 5 hours. Luckily I do a lot of business there and they didn't charge me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info. I guess I can stop calling dealerships asking if anyone has attempted this. haha. I just don't understand what the DIC has to do with the radio controls. There are so many 2017 Chevy vehicles out there with the very same monochromatic DIC and steering wheel controls. For example, I also own a 2017 Trax with the same DIC(w/ controls on the turn signal switch) and 7" Mylink as my Colorado, BUT it has radio controls on the wheel. Seems odd that my truck can't be programmed to work the same. Also, my WT clock spring has all the same plugs and pins as an LT. It's the WT wheel without the radio controls that didn't have all of the pins on its side of connection. Though I'm quickly losing hope that this will ever work, a small part of me still thinks this can be programmed on the 2017s. I've seen so many of them with the same setup, plus the wheel controls.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just purchased a 2018 WT with the 7" radio. I could do without the CarPlay and Android Auto, but I cannot believe that a modern vehicle doesn't have basic steering wheel audio controls! I would have preferred it to cruise control and other features my truck has. I consider steering wheel controls a basic safety feature and so do other manufacturers, most of which include it down to base models.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I don't know much about radios but I would think you would need to change on the clockspring as well to the one with more connectors.
As long as you have the cruise control and the My Link in the WT trim, you don't have to change the clock spring. You would have to run a new wire from the steering column to the gauge cluster and then to the radio module. The wire is in the clock spring, but not in the wiring harness.

Thanks for the info. I guess I can stop calling dealerships asking if anyone has attempted this. haha. I just don't understand what the DIC has to do with the radio controls. There are so many 2017 Chevy vehicles out there with the very same monochromatic DIC and steering wheel controls. For example, I also own a 2017 Trax with the same DIC(w/ controls on the turn signal switch) and 7" Mylink as my Colorado, BUT it has radio controls on the wheel. Seems odd that my truck can't be programmed to work the same. Also, my WT clock spring has all the same plugs and pins as an LT. It's the WT wheel without the radio controls that didn't have all of the pins on its side of connection. Though I'm quickly losing hope that this will ever work, a small part of me still thinks this can be programmed on the 2017s. I've seen so many of them with the same setup, plus the wheel controls.
You can't get the Colorado in a WT trim with steering wheel radio buttons. You will have to run a new wire from the steering column to the gauge cluster, and then another wire from the cluster to the radio. The wire is there in the clock spring, but not the wiring harness.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
As long as you have the cruise control and the My Link in the WT trim, you don't have to change the clock spring. You would have to run a new wire from the steering column to the gauge cluster and then to the radio module. The wire is in the clock spring, but not in the wiring harness.

You can't get the Colorado in a WT trim with steering wheel radio buttons. You will have to run a new wire from the steering column to the gauge cluster, and then another wire from the cluster to the radio. The wire is there in the clock spring, but not the wiring harness.
That would make sense as to why I haven't seen a Colorado WT with the wheel controls. Its just frustrating that my Trax has the steering wheel controls I want, with the identical DIC, the same turn signal switch controls for the DIC, and same MyLink system as my truck. The only difference is my Trax has a single extra wire connecting the 3 components?!

I'm interested in knowing how to run this wire, or if anyone has done it yet. It sounds like a rather big project for such a simple feature. I didn't think losing my radio controls when I traded in my 2016 Colorado LT would be such a big loss!

I should also mention again that I installed the 2015 wheel and I did that for two reasons. First, I prefer the audio controls on the front, rather than the back of the wheel. Second, it doesn?t have the DIC controls on it like the 16 and 17 wheels do, since I already have them on my turn signal switch.

·
Registered
251 Posts
That would make sense as to why I haven't seen a Colorado WT with the wheel controls. Its just frustrating that my Trax has the steering wheel controls I want, with the identical DIC, the same turn signal switch controls for the DIC, and same MyLink system as my truck. The only difference is my Trax has a single extra wire connecting the 3 components?!

I'm interested in knowing how to run this wire, or if anyone has done it yet. It sounds like a rather big project for such a simple feature. I didn't think losing my radio controls when I traded in my 2016 Colorado LT would be such a big loss!

I should also mention again that I installed the 2015 wheel and I did that for two reasons. First, I prefer the audio controls on the front, rather than the back of the wheel. Second, it doesn?t have the DIC controls on it like the 16 and 17 wheels do, since I already have them on my turn signal switch.
It is more complicated than just running the wires. The gauge cluster doesn't have the features in the electronics to control the radio since the radio controls go through the cluster.

I too installed the '15 wheel because of the controls on the front. I also got a good deal on a band new steering wheel. I like the leather wheel a lot better than the WT steering wheel. I have learned to not really worry about the steering wheel audio controls.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, I had a 2016 Colorado LT and hated the 6 speed transmission, so I upgraded to the 2017 with the new 8 speed and love it. But, by getting the WT, I've lost my steering wheel controls. I've been searching for days to try to figure out if I use a 2015 steering wheel (with the front audio controls) on my 2017 WT with the new 7" MyLink, would the steering wheel audio controls work? I wouldn't mind paying the shop to software update the truck for the new steering wheel, but will the new controls even work? Has anyone done this? This is the steering wheel in question. 2015 Colorado Canyon Steering Wheel Ebony Black Leather OEM 2331084 New 23376203 | eBay I can't seem to find a 2016 or 17 steering wheel (with the back audio controls) anywhere at a reasonable price.

@zach4ku...Did you have any trouble installing the 2015 steering wheel ? I am not worried about the audio controls for now just cruise control.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Bill Demo - No problems at all. Installation took about 10-15 minutes and everything but the audio controls work fine. I do, however, have the notorious steering wheel rattle which the 15' steering wheels experienced (you can find several posts about it.). The service department fix is grease somewhere behind the wheel. I'm still trying to identify what exactly they are greasing. I'm going to try to resolve the noise this weekend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I went ahead and ordered the leather wrapped 15 wheel.

Looks like the steps are
1) Disconnect Battery
2) Use holes on side to pop out the airbag
3) Disconnect airbag
4) Disconnect cruise control
5) Unbolt wheel

Sound right ?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.