Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through countless posts on this topic. I have a 2017 WT with reflector housings. I live in an area that snows.

I am not putting LED bulbs in my reflector housings - which is what the overwhelming majority of posts I've found has suggested. I also read information on LED vs Halogen headlight design regarding heat generation and compensation for melting snow that's collected as you're driving. I thought I read that LED housings contain a heating element to make up for the loss of heat generation between LED and halogen bulbs.

I have also read that you can get projector halogen housings, but due to the snow issue, I don't see a benefit in putting LEDs in those if I installed them.

Regardless, I want to do this right and it seems I have to ask a very specific question to do so.

I have a 2017 WT. Can I install the proper LED projector housings and start using LED bulbs? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction?

· Registered
10,705 Posts
"Can I install the proper LED projector housings and start using LED bulbs? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction? "

There is really no Proper LED Projector housing for the twins, there are oem projector housings that people install LED bulbs in with good results, there are also some aftermarket headlight housings that look good but, in my opinion, are not as good as OEM housings( I have the aftermarket housings)

you may want to try the brighter halogen bulb conversion in your headlights that you have now, there are so much better then the stock light output

· Registered
10,705 Posts
sorry aboout the delay, had to go to the gym then I/We are dog and cat sitting

here is the conversion I mentioned, I did this on my oem lights and it was so much better then the stock bulbs
actually I am thinkking about putting the halogens back in my after market headlights as they were better then the led's at cut off and distance

· Registered
2019 Colorado WT, CCSB, V6 4x4
304 Posts
I have a 2019WT. My solution, to stay legal, was to get a used set of projectors. I then added the brightest and whitest Sylvania bulbs (ZXE gold). Still not perfect, but a step up. I also added the factory GM fog light kit and replaced those halogens with LED’s, which supplement the headlights. It’s not perfect, but better than the OE setup.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did some digging and have run into yet another snag - H9's are designed for projectors...they are not safe as far as causing glare for other drivers in reflector housings. This leads back to my original post - I'm looking for a safe and "proper" way to upgrade my headlights. Seems like a lot of people are not considering all the outcomes when they do upgrades.

· Registered
2018 Colorado WT
67 Posts
I did some digging and have run into yet another snag - H9's are designed for projectors...they are not safe as far as causing glare for other drivers in reflector housings. This leads back to my original post - I'm looking for a safe and "proper" way to upgrade my headlights. Seems like a lot of people are not considering all the outcomes when they do upgrades.
I have a 2018 WT, I purchased the projector housing(This is the entire headlight assembly)and got rid of the reflector housings, I then put in HID projectors into those and couldn't be happier. There are some options for aftermarket headlight housing, found on Amazon, but I cant speak for their quality.

· Super Moderator
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
6,058 Posts
i have leds in the headlights. no problem in 2 years.
You have the projectors.. not the reflector housing.. WT come with refkectors
Projector Style Headlights:
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Lcd projector Hood Camera accessory

Reflector Style Headlights:

Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

· Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
4,995 Posts
I have a 2018 WT, I purchased the projector housing(This is the entire headlight assembly)and got rid of the reflector housings, I then put in HID projectors into those and couldn't be happier. There are some options for aftermarket headlight housing, found on Amazon, but I cant speak for their quality.
Which HID?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts