Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And quite a bit. Took it out, pint to maybe more of water. Some of bulbs weren't working correctly. No obvious cracks or other failures. Put a cap on it last year, have the line out to the third light, but had stock rubber gusset that has slit in it and appeared dry. Drying it out guess I have to open assembly and "caulk"? Any body have any similar issue of ideas? Pulled the bulbs. Back up worked, brake worked, but running light was dim. I'll get some new bulbs and contact clearer?

Update: The sliding collars on the two posts coming off the assembly that go into the body are dried out and missing the groove part. I guess this gap let water in . Seems after market are trouble, hate to buy new OEM just for that part. I knew it slide out too easy...

·
Registered
122 Posts
That happened to me, I am unsure how it happened but I ended up taking it to a dealer and got it replaced under warranty. I am thinking your warranty has expired, I was also having issues with my bulbs not working. I think it was due to blown fuses...so check those if you haven't already.

Once you get that straightened out, I also think that I read somewhere that people have drilled a small drain hole in the bottom of the housing but personally, I don't think that is the best long-term solution.

BTW...I have some video of my issue and now much water was in my housing, which can be seen right around the 12 second mark of this SUPER serious PSA video I made regarding blinker fluid replacement last April.

;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That happened to me, I am unsure how it happened but I ended up taking it to a dealer and got it replaced under warranty. I am thinking your warranty has expired, I was also having issues with my bulbs not working. I think it was due to blown fuses...so check those if you haven't already.

Once you get that straightened out, I also think that I read somewhere that people have drilled a small drain hole in the bottom of the housing but personally, I don't think that is the best long-term solution.

BTW...I have some video of my issue and now much water was in my housing, which can be seen right around the 12 second mark of this SUPER serious PSA video I made regarding blinker fluid replacement last April.

;)
Ha! Yep real blinker fluid. I like the hole idea, maybe small rubber plug to keep closed until needed?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ha! Yep real blinker fluid. I like the hole idea, maybe small rubber plug to keep closed until needed?
I only read that people are doing that, but I am not sure how well it works. Personally, I would fix it right by either replacing the taillight housing or getting some silicone and enforcing the seal. But that's just me. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts