Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 562 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not seen anything posted here but have not done an extensive search. I was having a problem with the by Canyon, which has 6,300 miles on it) having an a shudder that I could hear and feel while trying to maintain highway speeds. When gently accelerating to get from say 64 mph to 65 mph the shudder would occur. Talk to the salesman (used to work in service so knows the technical stuff) and he found something that described the problem perfectly. Vehicle is in the shop now. It sounds like it may be in the torque converter and GM is recommending a different type of fluid. Won't know for sure but it could also be a bad torque converter. Just wanted to share in case anyone has experienced this or in case you have it in the future. May be limited to the 2017 and 2018 with the 8 speed transmission. Hope to hear something soon.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71
114 Posts
Could it be from an unbalanced wheel? In my trans am one of the wheels was oh so slightly off balance and I experienced a vibration kick up once the wheel experienced a certain speed.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Have not noticed it yet at 3600 miles, but I will pay attention next time I am on the highway.

·
Registered
184 Posts
When I was discussing issues with my '16 (6 speed) with a service adviser late last year, he said they were having more problems with the 8 speeds in full size trucks, mainly due to torque converter issues. He said they were doing both flushes and converter replacements. So yes, it is a known problem, at least on the full sized.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have not seen anything posted here but have not done an extensive search. I was having a problem with the by Canyon, which has 6,300 miles on it) having an a shudder that I could hear and feel while trying to maintain highway speeds. When gently accelerating to get from say 64 mph to 65 mph the shudder would occur. Talk to the salesman (used to work in service so knows the technical stuff) and he found something that described the problem perfectly. Vehicle is in the shop now. It sounds like it may be in the torque converter and GM is recommending a different type of fluid. Won't know for sure but it could also be a bad torque converter. Just wanted to share in case anyone has experienced this or in case you have it in the future. May be limited to the 2017 and 2018 with the 8 speed transmission. Hope to hear something soon.
It's sounding like the A8 tranny on the C7 Vette :frown2:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3999067-a8-transmission-failure-tracking-6.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think it is the wheels or balancing which was my first thought. As soon as I let off the gas the shudder stops and I don't think that would happen if was a balance issue. Seems like it is the known torque converter issue. Because the way it was described in whatever the guy at the dealership was reading fit my problem to the T. Still no word. They just got assigned to a technician today.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2016 canyon. Have 34,000 miles on it and it's had some sort of service upgrade done to the computers which seemed to help for a while. I notice it more now at slightly higher speeds but it's always been when trying to gently accelerate when the tach reads about 1k rpm... the truck just doesn't shift down fast enough or smoothly enough.
I was hoping that the 8sp trans would have solved that problem, but from the comments I'm reading it seems to be a GM issue across many different platforms.

My solution is going to be to buy a tuner as soon as mine is out of warranty and hope that makes it a better driving vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got my truck back last Friday. The invoice says, "Fluid exchange per DOC#4526930."
8480478 flush and drain fluids for transmission.
For full effect of repair may have to drive 200 miles.

I now have about 200 miles and did get out on the road for most of those miles on July 4. I did not feel any shudder similar to before the fluid exchange. I guess only time will tell how permanent this fix is.

The 8 speed is apparently designed to get to high gears as soon as possible in an effort to improve fuel mileage. It does seem that when you are driving about 50 and turning 1500 rpms that the truck feels bogged down and the requires a substantial and 1uick kick of the throttle to down shift. As manufacturers work to achieve average fleet mileage of 50 mpg performance will probably be more of a challenge.

Hope this helpful for anyone having the shudder.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Glad to hear its fixed. Hope its not contagious.

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
I've got about 6300 miles on my 17 Coly. Haven't experienced anything like this with my 8 Speed.
At 4100 miles, the 8 speed acts way more well mannered then the 6 speed did in my 15.
I cruise a lot of rural roads here at 45mph, and it stays in 5th at 1500 rpm. I bump it up to 47 mph, and then it drops into 6th at 1300 rpm, but remains smooth with good pedal response for feathering with nary stutter, shudder or chuggle.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
At 4100 miles, the 8 speed acts way more well mannered then the 6 speed did in my 15.
I cruise a lot of rural roads here at 45mph, and it stays in 5th at 1500 rpm. I bump it up to 47 mph, and then it drops into 6th at 1300 rpm, but remains smooth with good pedal response for feathering with nary stutter, shudder or chuggle.
Yea most of my driving is between 45-60 mph. I get a few minor hiccups every once in a while, but every transmission I've ever driven does. Nothing to write home about. I enjoy the driveability of my 2017 Coly much more than my old 2014 Sierra.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Just passed 11,000 miles (bought @ end of Feb) on my '17 Canyon V6/8sp, and I haven't seen this issue, really no problems with the truck so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Didn't want to start a new thread as I knew this one existed. I'm new here and joined because I bought a 2017 Colorado V6/8sp in September. It now has 1200 miles on it, 54 when I signed the papers, and it has this torque converter shudder. In trying to Google search what it may be I came across this thread and the subsequent bulletin post about the trans fluid flush/refill with a different fluid from Mobil One.

I need to take it in to the dealer yet but I have talked to them about it. The service writer looked it up and found exactly what is posted here that forum member SilverShadow posted.
I hope the fluid change fixes it. It seems to do it at the 1400-1600 RPM range at various speeds from about 25 up to 80. It seems that RPM range is is the same no matter what gear it's in. I can now duplicate it at will. It feels like I'm running over rumble strips. It'll do it then stop then do it and stop. Like a pulsing while at a steady light throttle between 1400-1600 RPM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2017 Colorado 8 speed driveline shudder

My 2017 Colie Z-71 with the 3.6 V6 and 8 speed tranny just began the driveline shudder issue. Bought the truck new four months ago (July) and just turned 2,200 miles. Most noticeable while cruising between 40 and 60 mph under very, very light throttle. Instantly disappears upon release of throttle, or applying heavier throttle. So, it looks like the torque converter clutch is the culprit. Best way I can describe it is like driving over "washboard" pavement or dozens of pavement speed bumps in a row. Reviewed the GM document # 4526930, detailed instructions for complete fluid flush and change procedures for dealership techs to utilize. Owned many trucks, all full-sized, and mostly GM's over the past 40 years. This is my first Colorado (and first small pickup) and have to say I love absolutely everything about this truck, except, of course, the vibration issue. By buying a new vehicle, I had hoped to avoid 'buying someone else's headaches', and hoped to have a trouble-free truck for years to come. The thought of possible repeat trips to the dealership service department to get this issue corrected sickens me. Why can there not be a 'friction modifier' additive of some sort that could be added to the original fluid fill, or maybe possibly 'retune' the computer to slightly raise the transmission oil pressure to allow the converter clutch to fully engage? Also, during my research, I read that GM designed the converter clutch to actually "slip" a little, all the time it's engaged, to provide a 'smoother driving experience'. WHAT? A clutch that's made to CONSTANTLY SLIP ? All in the name of smoother performance? Holy Moly.

·
Registered
717 Posts
If you look for notes from me, you will find a decent amount of information on the issue and fix. My tranny has been flawless since the dealer did the flush. Also, this is not specific to the Twins, it affects other vehicles also which are included in the doc.

·
Registered
231 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for your and everyone's comments on the shudder issue.

My 2017 Colorado Z71 has it as well. Picked it up from the service department today, told to drive it the 200 miles. It only has 3900 miles on it. Service did the required transmission drain and flush 3 times along with filter change.

Hopeful for a long lasting fix, but if so, has the long term performance of this transmission/torque converter been compromised? Metal in the oil means contamination and undetermined damage to the existing components. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Hard for my mechanical mind to understand how changing the oil three times is going to fix it, let alone ensure long lasting fix.

1 - 20 of 562 Posts