Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the leveling (not lift) kit offered by GM ? I'm considering having it done mainly because of the visual stance of the vehicle. But, during the summer I tow a travel trailer including using the weight distribution hitch. When towing, would this change have any effect in the handling of the Colorado ? I notice when currently using the weight distribution hitch, the combination of the truck and trailer appears to be almost perfectly level. The local GM dealer says I'll also have to get a wheel alignment and headlight adjustment. So, looking for information of other Colorado/Canyon owners that have used this kit ?

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the leveling (not lift) kit offered by GM ? I'm considering having it done mainly because of the visual stance of the vehicle. But, during the summer I tow a travel trailer including using the weight distribution hitch. When towing, would this change have any effect in the handling of the Colorado ? I notice when currently using the weight distribution hitch, the combination of the truck and trailer appears to be almost perfectly level. The local GM dealer says I'll also have to get a wheel alignment and headlight adjustment. So, looking for information of other Colorado/Canyon owners that have used this kit ?
Here's some info, you should have zero problems with that kit, very mild lift. Yes, alignment and headlights will need to be done.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
This means that you have enough tongue weight to sink the rear about 2". That's perfect. The design of the suspension is for this to happen.

If you raise the front of the truck 2", and do nothing to the rear, guess what's going to happen? When towing, your front end will be about 2" higher than the rear. That's a bad thing. You will struggle towing like that.

If you decide to raise the front, you should consider adding air bags to the rear to compensate for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here's some info, you should have zero problems with that kit, very mild lift. Yes, alignment and headlights will need to be done.

What type of WD Hitch do you run and what type of trailer. I run an equalizer 4 point hitch system and just installed rear air suspension last night. Have not pulled the trailer yet but like how it rides now when empty. I will need to readjust the whole system now with the air suspension installed. Just wondering what type of TT weight others are pulling with this truck.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
What type of WD Hitch do you run and what type of trailer. I run an equalizer 4 point hitch system and just installed rear air suspension last night. Have not pulled the trailer yet but like how it rides now when empty. I will need to readjust the whole system now with the air suspension installed. Just wondering what type of TT weight others are pulling with this truck.
check out the 30+ pages of "What are you towing" lots of info in it

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yikes ... not ready to add air suspension. I wanted the 1" kit to level the truck, but if it's going to affect handling while towing, then I might have to reconsider. I only tow the travel trailer less than a dozen times a year, but perhaps I could offset the change with adjusting the hitch ? There are several points the hitch can be adjusted to a point of about 6" up or down as the adjustment is currently in the middle. I use the round bar WD hitch with a 12000 lb max spec. My Hybrid Palomino trailer is only about 4000 lbs loaded, so I'm hoping the 1" change in the front will have little if any affect. The dealer is quoting me $700 for the kit and installation, so, as a retired senior, I'm not ready to put out big bucks for an air suspension system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yikes ... not ready to add air suspension. I wanted the 1" kit to level the truck, but if it's going to affect handling while towing, then I might have to reconsider. I only tow the travel trailer less than a dozen times a year, but perhaps I could offset the change with adjusting the hitch ? There are several points the hitch can be adjusted to a point of about 6" up or down as the adjustment is currently in the middle. I use the round bar WD hitch with a 12000 lb max spec. My Hybrid Palomino trailer is only about 4000 lbs loaded, so I'm hoping the 1" change in the front will have little if any affect. The dealer is quoting me $700 for the kit and installation, so, as a retired senior, I'm not ready to put out big bucks for an air suspension system.
I tow about 6 times a year but haul supplies (rock, mulch, etc) in the bed of the truck for the house. Seems more often then I want so that was another reason for the air suspension. I installed myself but in my opinion driving side was a pain and resulting in a lot of swearing. I purchased the Firestone system with no compressor for a little over $300. I’ve towed all over the Rockies and only in a very few places I would have preferred a bigger truck but it’s an everyday vehicle as well. Good luck on the road with your TT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts